Does Anyone Ever Plop a Machine Down W/O Permission in Locations with Lots of Machines?

rogersmith

I was in a mall the other day and there were walls of racks and Tommys all over heavily frequented corridors of the mall. The racks were all of the same configuration (an odd one at that), but could easily be duplicated by anyone. Then I noticed a lone 1-800 machine lodged between a rack and Tommy in one area out of many, many different areas that all had the same machines and otherwise had no 1-800's. I suspect a vendor just set the 1-800 down in there with all of the other machines without permission, thinking it would be overlooked easily enough with the morass of machines in there. I am just wondering if anyone has ever just plopped a machine down with a bunch of other machines without getting permission (not that I would do it- but I'm just curious). If so, what were the results?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always heard it called gorilla locating.. I think its a practice that has its place in bulk vending, especially charity vending..

some places can only be located this way,,when i was doing doubles i would gorilla locate a list of stops every town i went without ever a hiccup..

a short list would be ... (this of course is if they have visible charity machines already in area)... county courthouse, DMV, jailhouse visiting area,vocational schools, large auto dealers, break rooms of krogers, lowes, kmart and walmart layaway or tire center areas, laudrymat if there was 2 competing vendors(also great great great spot to slam weight scale) truckstop truckers lounge, etc..

all of these places are your typical 5-25 buck charity stops that have no "decision maker" in house ,,they really don't care about the machines unless it becomes a nuisance, and it will if everybody does this so there is always gonna be someone on a forum mad and whining when someone lets the cat out of the bag on this practice..

Notice i said "if there was a competing charity vendor"...this is a big thing to watch for because it lets you know somebody is already getting away with having a machine in the place and not paying for it (meaning commission) so there really is no "tenant" or other vendor that can complain about his turf being hijacked..

gotta be confident and sure of yourself and not afraid to lose a machine ever once in a while(but if you are even asking permission you still lose machines ever once in a while),,keep your contact info on machine so they have someone to call if there is a complaint..if they want it picked up then pick it up, if they asked who asked for permission just dodge the question with something like " I have been placing them in all the public places, I was unaware that you wasn't on the list as a supporter for cancer research(or whatever your charity is)" then pitch your charity now that you have someone on the phone that is in charge,,if they aren't in charge then tell them that you want to speak to the person in charge , tell them that you have a boss that told you to place the machine and that you can't remove it without hearing it from the person in charge...( this is because you are most likely talking to another vendor that isn't fond of you being on his turf)

you can't walk it like a scared little boy saying to everybody you meet, " Uh,I have this gum ball machine I'm gonna place over there, is that OK?"..you gotta walk in the location, locate the other charity vendors, make sure they are not same sticker as you(if they are use you backup ones,its always good to have several different charities), make sure there is room and that maybe you have a different product ,if there isn't any gum then the reason is they might not want gum so use common sense on products, go get your machine try to take as little as possible public visible entrance so scout routes you can take machine in without being spotted by any kind of management(i.e. go in tire entrance at walmart ,not front door) maybe come back when no one is around(i.e that 1 hour window at court house when everybody is at lunch) put your machine in and get out ...

ron

Whatever you call it, its not a secret. People have been doing it forever. Its wrong and I never did it. The practice just gives legitimate vendors a bad name.

I find it laughable that the people that have no problem slamming machines and then lie to people about having permission are the very same people who called me dishonest for giving thousands of dollars each year to a charity from my route.

But whatever, to each his own.

I'd hate to be out of a good machine, might want to place a 'beater' of a machine at first to test out something like this.. Then upgrade it once it 'sticks' and makes money

like i said, there will be haters with their twisted morals of "your sin is worst than mine" but I personally never thought i was doing anything wrong.. this because every quarter spent was product received. Never ripped off a customer saying I was something i wasn't..but anyway i won't get on this debate again even though i do love having something to pass the time and argue on a forum. ;D

I mainly did this in public locations where there was no decision maker to be found, I am a tax payer and have just as much rights to have my machine there as anybody else and more than likely the person that gave the permission anyway had no right to give permission either..

as far as the other stops i mentioned like auto dealers etc. then that is your call..most of the time there is no decision maker to be found and the machines are overlooked anyway as long as they are maintained,, you could never do this with any kind of small place with boss there or commission type stores with one operator operating racks..This is only way to get most public places or large places like walmart tire centers..

I made big bucks at a hospital near me where at one time i had over 20 machines in this one big hospital all in different break rooms,waiting rooms etc..I would come in with a carryon luggage suitcase full of peanut mms and leave with it full of quarters!!

on this particular location i did have permission to place one machine as it was requested from a customer at hair salon that worked there as a nurse when she saw me servicing the hair salon,(like i said, even if you get permission from these places did the person who gave you permission really have the right to do that?), but when i delivered it i had my van full of machines to locate anyway ..i just kept going from floor to floor like a treasure hunt finding waiting rooms and dropping a single in..

I dont do this anymore,, i run amusements and racks on commission,, that is only reason I'm sharing this info as i don't care anymore..

ron

like i said, there will be haters with their twisted morals of "your sin is worst than mine"

I hope you're not referring to me because I'm not a "hater" nor do I have "twisted morals." My morals tell me not to take something that isn't mine. You can do what you want to do. I have no problem with that and I won't "hate" on you for it.

Not referring to anybody in particular, especially the boss!

But we do have differing opinions on this issue as I don't consider a vendor like myself to own a location.. I also don't agree with the whole representing my self as a charity thing and only giving a buck a month .. I get blasted because I'm a liar and thief when my only responsibility is to my customer, they get their candy and I didn't lie to them to get their quarter...

Use whatever method you wish to secure locations, if your only gonna give a buck then put that in print on the machine .. Then a person has the right to bash as their hands are clean..

Like I said, to each is own, I don't even do this anymore..

Ron

isnt this sort of like, seeing a bum on a corner getting a lot of people giving them money.

so you get you a sign and sit down a few feet from the bum trying to cash in on his thing?

I would make the comparison sorta like the slumdog millionaire.. The vendor is a businessman paying that bum a buck a month even if they collect a hundred to stand on the corner and beg..

And this is like being another businessman and hiring another bum to stand beside of that one and collect for you on same street corner.

Ron

Not referring to anybody in particular, especially the boss!

But we do have differing opinions on this issue as I don't consider a vendor like myself to own a location.. I also don't agree with the whole representing my self as a charity thing and only giving a buck a month .. I get blasted because I'm a liar and thief when my only responsibility is to my customer, they get their candy and I didn't lie to them to get their quarter...

Use whatever method you wish to secure locations, if your only gonna give a buck then put that in print on the machine .. Then a person has the right to bash as their hands are clean..

Like I said, to each is own, I don't even do this anymore..

Ron

I would make the comparison sorta like the slumdog millionaire.. The vendor is a businessman paying that bum a buck a month even if they collect a hundred to stand on the corner and beg..

And this is like being another businessman and hiring another bum to stand beside of that one and collect for you on same street corner.

Ron

Okay, fair enough Ron. Everyone has their own opinion on this and even though I don't agree with yours, I can respect it. Thank you for participating in the debate.

I will admit I have done this in the past, back when I was first starting up. I dont do it anymore because I am more selective where I place my machines, back then I thought I had to put them anywhere but my shop.

I will say this right or wrong, be prepared to lose your machines. If you slam them on top of other vendors (charity or commission) they are gonna resent it. most likely your machines will disappear, and then who are you gonna complain too? the mirror would be a logical place to start!

My equipment cost way too much to just toss out without some sort of validation from someone. There is a semi big charity company that puts their smaller single and double beavers next to my equipment all the time. SOme owners toss the machine or contact them...Talk about the walk of shame!

My equipment cost way too much to just toss out without some sort of validation from someone. There is a semi big charity company that puts their smaller single and double beavers next to my equipment all the time. SOme owners toss the machine or contact them...Talk about the walk of shame!

I agree, i would never do it now that i operate racks in commission type accounts,,this practice is only something to be done with old singles or doubles or the triple play type charity machines..and like i said you can't just plop them down where there is a commission vendor in place, like you mentioned somebody putting them besides your machines..I only did it in public places where there was just charity guys,, they can't complain as they don't pay commission either, what are they gonna say?? my charity is better than his,i want his picked up!! They won't start tossing your equipment because then you will start tossing theirs..

I would say more often when you see good equip done this way its because of a telemarketer locator got that spot for the vendor and the vendor has no idea he is "gorilla locating", the locator just called location and talked to somebody on phone like "Hello, is the manager there?" and some waitress said "Who, Bob the owner or Jill the manager?" and he writes the info down,,,then he asks either one ,and she says neither so he goes on to ask her " Do you think they would mind supporting cancer research , It takes no donation, we just place small candy machine in front of store,, we will will remove it if there is any problem."...

and the waitress said,"ummm, I guess, there are already some machines out there but there is room for another one probably, I don't think they will mind."...so now the vendor drops off his machine after he shows up and and says " Is mary here?" and the waitress says "yes that is me." and she tells him to just put his little charity vendor out front with the commission rack.

In his notes it lists the manager and owner and to contact "Mary" upon delivery of machine... He has got so many rejections in the past when delivering tele marketed locations he has gotten smart and just gets in and gets out as quick as possible and drops off his machine.

Is why i keep saying this story is because so so so many telemarketer locators turn people into gorilla locators and they don't know it,,

I lose machines ,,whole racks sometimes with theft, locations closing and taking equipment etc,,thats just part of it..I didn't lose any more machines on average when i had 300 gorilla located doubles and singles than i do now..I mention old equipment because of possible losing equipment and because in the locations i mentioned it doesn't matter if its a shiny new double NW.

right now there is a guy with NW 83's, single on a pipe stand and he is slamming all over the place, encompassing my whole route and beyond..he puts "old money" in 1.1 caps in the big 83 which in normally a 2" machine. he comes in with a cane and a VFW hat on,old camo jacket and asked will they support veterans.. I caught him in action one day,,i was impressed with his pitch..He had a new Denali suv filled with 83's on single pipe stands..He pitches some locations and slams the ones like i mentioned where there is nobody there.

ron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

About 3 months ago I had some older but refurbished acorn machines laying around. I put two of them on a stand, one with gumballs and one with runts. Also an additional single with gumballs. I dropped them off at the biggest hospital in the city and the three combined average over $300 per month ; no charity, no commission. These 3 machines are sitting right next to each other.

I even was stopped by a higher level employee and I was informed that gumballs were a choking hazard and she asked me to replace them with something.

So recently I have been looking for cheap vendstars & uturns to hit all the other hospitals around town. Never would have guessed that a slammed candy stop would out perform some of my best 7way rack locations.

Archived