Is it a fact that you will lose every location you service?

JLM Vending

I never knew that. Every spot? Is it true that sooner or later, you will lose every single one of your locations? That is the most discouraging idea I have ever heard. Has anyone here lost every single one of their spots? I mean in 16 months, i lost a few, but not remotely close to every spot. I spoke to a guy that still had several of spots that he located from over 10 years ago. I mean there must be some that stick for the long haul, am I not right?

Eventually even the grandest of empires crumble. Over time, yes, you will lose them all. Vending machines won't stay in one spot forever- a simple change in management is all it takes to lose the spot. Now, you won't lose them overnight, and you can locate faster than you'll lose them even at a snails pace, but if you stopped finding new locations, give it enough time and eventually all of your spots will disappear.

Now, the only way in which you can fall to this is if you stop growing your route entirely. History is notoriously cruel to those who rest on their laurels. If you keep growing your business and expanding your "empire" even if you eventually do lose your original spots, you will have gained much more.

It's a rather abstract concept that lingers over us all, but it's nothing to keep you up at night.

then how come the guy had spots that were over 10 years old? I can think off the top of my head of some restaurants i know that have had a charity machine since 2005, come to think about it. You're telling me performa, that there is not one business owner out there who would like you so much and he stays in business for a long time, that he won't let you keep it there for the long haul? There is not one? The guy in business for 10 years aid that he lost a lot of his 230 over time, but he said more than half stayed for the long haul. And you're telling me not 1 single owner will stay in business for the long haul and let u stay for a long time..

I think there are a lot a vairbles that no one can control. Kind of like friends you have that High School buddy you have been close for ever but then everyone else just moved on. With everyone chasing the same slice of Pie your bound to lose some accounts. It is just a time thing. All your accounts maybe maybe not it just depends.

then how come the guy had spots that were over 10 years old?

That just makes no sense. Just because its been there 10 years, doesn't mean it'll be there in 40 years, or even tomorrow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

I think you're thinking about this too concretely. If your 100 location route loses an average of 2-3 accounts a month and you're able to re-locate 2-3 (or more) accounts per month and sustain the route size, what does it matter if over time 5, 15 or none of the original locations stick?

A snake doesn't lament shedding his skin, he just crawls around thinking "I got new skin b*tches!" Sorry, I think I had one too many cups of coffee this afternoon. :)

That just makes no sense. Just because its been there 10 years, doesn't mean it'll be there in 40 years, or even tomorrow.

but 10 years, even 5 is a long time, caserri. The duration outlasted the length of his career, so he ended keeping a healthy amount of them in his 10 year career. If they get lost after he sold the route, then it doesn't affect him. That's all Im saying. 40 years? Who knows, maybe these types of machines won't be around by then, we could die, anything could happen. I know we can't live forever.

i hope to god you are a fake character like some people believe because the possibility that there are people this dopey out there terrifies me

dogcow, you have been less lenient on me recently, fair enough. I have pics of my machines, my coin bags, I have been here for a while and conducted some good posts with some uncoventional threads here and there, but the point is I'm not faking my vending, you know that. I have even purchased 30 Oak machines from a member on here. Performa wouldn't think that. I do have some flaws in my attitude, but I keep on trying to do what I can.

but 10 years, even 5 is a long time, caserri.

No. Its not.

Besides, your original question was will you eventually lose all of your locations. The answer to that is simple.

Yes. You will. Nothing lasts forever and believe me, 10 years is not even close to forever.

Issue Date: Vol. 52, No. 8, August 2012, Posted On: 7/30/2012

Nation's Oldest Store Closes Doors After 2 Centuries

Henry Schlesinger

swag@earthlink.net

TAGS: vending, bulk vending, Gray's Store, Adamsville Rhode Island, oldest general store in America, Grayton Waite

ADAMSVILLE VILLAGE, RI -- Some bulk vending operator might have lost a special location. Gray's Store in the tiny hamlet of Adamsville village near Little Compton, RI, is reputed to have been the oldest operating general store in America.

Opening its doors in 1788, the establishment was in business some 224 years. In 2007, this fact was recognized by Sen. Jack Reed and former Rhode Island Gov. Donald Carcieri, who issued proclamations naming Gray's as the oldest continuously run general store in the country.

The end for the store came when its owner, Grayton Waite, 59, died on June 11. The business was inherited by his son, Jonah Waite, 21, a student at the University of Hartford in Connecticut. According to Waite, the store, which had been in his family since 1879, is no longer profitable.

Gray's Store closed on July 29. GraysGeneralStore_RI.jpg

Photo: Gray's Store, the nation's oldest general store, closed on July 29 after two centuries in business. The death of its owner and the current difficult economy led to the establishment's demise.

Really it boils down to the nature of this business, we piggy back locations owned by other people. If you want a location that's guaranteed for life you will have to buy the land and the store on it, otherwise you are always at the discretion of the locations owner. I personally find it an acceptable trade-off as I have no overhead that equates to rent or building insurance and I am not bound to one central location, if my machines don't make bank they can and will be picked up and relocated, did it to two of them today. It is what it is.

I just started in this business and know I probably won't have an account forever. I did route sales and got some accounts from Deli Express and lost some to them. Others we shared. It is like that in vending your just something there. I have 15 stops. Moved one to just a Gumball machine and pulled another one. Now I have some singles doubles and 4 ways I can more effective in maintaining the right mix for each spot. Just like you moved on from the Uturns to the Oaks. Company's move on from one vendor to another. Not good or bad just the nature of business.

I know of one location that has had the same candy machine in place for at least 12 years...and I have every intention of trying to bump them out! ;D I think they've gotten complacent. The machine stand (which is wood) has never been wiped down and is filthy. And I plan on using that to my advantage to try and get the location.

I know of one location that has had the same candy machine in place for at least 12 years...and I have every intention of trying to bump them out! ;D I think they've gotten complacent. The machine stand (which is wood) has never been wiped down and is filthy. And I plan on using that to my advantage to try and get the location.

That's what Im saying. 12 years is pretty much forever. That's longer than most marriages. Do you know how much money that can make you in 12 years? I am not saying every machine stays for a long time, but I have seen machines that have been in businesses for more than 4 years, some closer to 10. I have seen them before i knew what charity vending or bulk vending was. Has any of you lost every single one of your spots overtime?

No. Its not.

Besides, your original question was will you eventually lose all of your locations. The answer to that is simple.

Yes. You will. Nothing lasts forever and believe me, 10 years is not even close to forever.

What I am saying is this. All of us are going to be in vending for a certain amount of time. Maybe for me, it's just 5 more years, I don't really know. Maybe I will sell. For some, it's 15 years and they still have spots that were not lost. But what I mean is that some spots can possibly last the time that they are in vending. If you want to get real literal, love will not last forever. But that doesn't mean that a couple didn't love each other as long as they were alive. The guy i knew was telling me the truth when he said he has many spots for longer than 10 years. He eventually sold his route to a good friend, about a year ago. His friend still has 90 percent of the spots and is looking to sell. But he did have many spots that didn't get the boot for his whole vending career. He made a lot of money at vending, considering he had 230 machines. But eventually he sold it because he was busy with his other business and collecting rent from his apartments.

My comment on the other related thread:

http://vendiscuss.ne...ve/page__st__40

Thanks for clarifying it. I know that we could potentially lose every spot. But what I'm saying is that if you have some spots for 15 years, then that is as good as forever. I mean if you can't make money in 10 years, then there is no point. When you said that you will lose every spot, I thought you meant one day they will all disappear (maybe they can). But the thing is, even if you lose a lot of spots overtime, I think you could have gained more than you lost easily if you were working to maintain your business. But if some spots stayed 10 years, I consider that forever. Not forever literally, but enough time to make money. Forever to me just means in the whole duration you were in it or enough time to make a worthy profit. Of course, not all spots will last. And most businesses will not last forever, so I know that.

12 years is a good period of time but we have locations that have been around for more than 25 years. As long as you take care of them they will take care of you in many places.

25 years is almost older than I am. I would consider that a lifetime. You must do a good job servicing. I applaud you.

National average = $12.00 per machine

12 years = about $1728 (probably made a little more or a little less)

Yea. I do make more than 12 dollars though come to think about it. I don't have very many that do less than 12 bucks. I mean even if I only had 1 machine out of 10 that made 80 bucks, the rest of my machines could make almost nothing and I'd average a little more than that, so I'm not sure how accurate those numbers are.

But if you made 1,700 in 10 years, that truly isn't a lot of money for 10 years. But then again what we have to remember is that is just one machine.

dogcow, you have been less lenient on me recently, fair enough. I have pics of my machines, my coin bags, I have been here for a while and conducted some good posts with some uncoventional threads here and there, but the point is I'm not faking my vending, you know that. I have even purchased 30 Oak machines from a member on here. Performa wouldn't think that. I do have some flaws in my attitude, but I keep on trying to do what I can.

A wise man once told me, "It is better to be thought a fool and remain silent, than to open one's mouth, and remove all doubt"

meditate on that for a while.

Gross. I have read numbers between $7.00 per month per head to $12.00 per month per head average gross. I have seen closer to $12.00 so far. Remember though, each gumball cost me 2 1/2 cents. When you sell it for 25 cents you are getting 10X your money on each one. There is a huge profit in gumballs. Bouncy Balls cost me 6 1/2 cents per and I vend them for 50 cents. That's almost 8X your money on each ball.

My best location to date has been a Pizza place with a double Northwestern 60's. Gumball @.25 and Bouncy Balls @.50. It has averaged $102 a month this year. That $102 each month costs me about $13 in product. Those two machines paid for themselves in 2 1/2 months.

I have a comic book store that has a Northwestern 60's double with Gumball @.25 and Skittles @.25. It has averaged $33 each month this year. That $33 has cost me about $4 in product. It took about 8 months for those machines to pay for themselves.

I had one machine I placed so far doing less than $12 a month. I moved it after 3 months.

It is very nice to make between 7 and 10 times your money on a product.

Archived