Transportation Techniques

Eugene

What technique's, tips, advice exists for transporting these 600lb+ beverage machines from one location to another?

How many people do you typically have with you to move one of machines?

I'm looking to purchase my 2nd machine. Most likely I'll transport it on its side for 45min (will leave it off for 24hrs afterwards). I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to bring this bad boy home.

Thanks to the feedback, it will be a Royal and not a Seaga.

What technique's, tips, advice exists for transporting these 600lb+ beverage machines from one location to another?

I'm looking to purchase my 2nd machine. Most likely I'll transport it on its side for 45min (will leave it off for 24hrs afterwards). I'm starting to wonder how I'm going to bring this bad boy home.

There are several threads about moving equipment and recommendations for equipment to use. Here is one:

http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/14407-best-dolly-or-hand-truck/

The only guy I've ever seen move a big soda machine by himself, was a pro mover with a lift gate and a truck full of different moving equipment. He was built like a linebacker. I bought a Powermate stairclimber (big bucks) but I still usually hire my machines moved as I'd have to hire a helper to move them by myself anyway. Frankly, I can't justify the cost of the Powermate much less all the additional equipment involved to really get set up to move machines.

On a more positive note; I have figured out how to move snack machines in my van. Take out all the trays and just flip it in on it's back - I can pull this off with no help. If you're using a pickup, you will need a hand to get it up and in - same thing for that soda machine.

Pay a few bucks to get it moved,in the long run it will save your back, and god forbid accidents happen the pro mover has insurance that covers. I have had large arcade game fall on me its no picnic it happened because I was using cheap equipment to move the game and not doing things carefully. Saving a few bucks by doing a cowboy move can really go bad and end up costing more in the long run

Yep,

Dogcow is right (actually he's lucky it wasn't one of those 8-liners that fell on him) Check out this thread if you're really serious about moving machines around

Note: All of these guys have a fair amount of moving experience

If you try having more than 2 people touching the machine they just get in each other’s way.

A third person is helpful holding doors and keeping bystanders out of the way.

In the long run if you don’t often move equipment with the same team you will likely spend more repairing building damages and ER bills than if you pay a pro.

Most health insurer investigate ER claims and will denied them if the injured person was involved in business related activity.

Walta

I can and do occasionally move soda machines by mself. Do not like doing it fhough. I am 5 ' 10 " foot tall.and weigh 265, I am 62 years young. The weight helps when you are breaking over the machine. I use a Heavy duty Duro dolly and a lift gate equipped vehicles. Always better to have 2 people move equipment. A lot easier and a whole lot safer.

Hmm...after looking at the cost of some of the devices that move machines and that's only horizontally...I'm still left with the vertical lifting onto a truck or whatever. I think for now, I'll go with paying movers in hopes that I'm not moving around too much. Once I get a good two handfuls of machines running around, then I'll look to invest however then i'm still stuck trying to find people to help me. ER visits aren't pleasant.

I had to let go of a machine I wanted to go b/c I didn't know how I would transport it. I'm back to looking this time with the intent to hire a mover.

Thanks all.

Hmm...after looking at the cost of some of the devices that move machines and that's only horizontally...I'm still left with the vertical lifting onto a truck or whatever. I think for now, I'll go with paying movers in hopes that I'm not moving around too much. Once I get a good two handfuls of machines running around, then I'll look to invest however then i'm still stuck trying to find people to help me. ER visits aren't pleasant.

I had to let go of a machine I wanted to go b/c I didn't know how I would transport it. I'm back to looking this time with the intent to hire a mover.

Thanks all.

I'm sorry you missed out on that Royal - those are great machines (except for Donut's) - by far my favorite

I move all my machine's myself but not because I don't want to pay a professional mover to move them but because where I am located we only have one company that move machine's & they also do everyone else's moves as well.

When I first started I used them a couple of time's but found they were unreliable & didn't show up when they said they would which made me look bad & when they did they would tell me who's machine's they had done before mine & where they had put them. I didn't want my competition knowing where my machine's were so I started doing them myself. I am glad I did because the guy that use to move machine's is now locating machine & he is going around to all the place he has placed machine in & trying to take them.

I doubt you would have these issue's so if I was you I would pay someone to move them for me but if you are still wanting to do it yourself it's not rocket science as long as you have the right moving equipment & take your time when doing it. The reason I say this is because one mistake can cost you your life!

I use a tail lift truck & a pallet jack with a couple of 4 x 2's to move most of my equipment. I also would recommend having someone to help you especially when moving drink machine's. I get my wife to help me but not for her muscle but for an extra set of eye's. I have a background in truck driving so I guess this make's it easier for me but once you have done a few you will get the hang of it.

Just remember to take your time & don't try to take any shortcuts & you will be fine..

p.s - One thing about Seaga's is they are easy to move but the only place I would be taking them to would be the rubbish dump!!

In my area of the country I could not find nobody willing to move machines for me, so I did the next best thing and bought my own expensive dollie to move them! Lol! I do have a utility trailor that helps out a bunch, along with a 1/2 ton truck that is 13 years old and still going strong! Also a Altoro who works for cheap!

mike

Another option for you would be to use a Drop Deck Trailer instead of a tail lift truck which would make things a lot safer. We don't have Drop Deck's here so have to use a Tail Lift.

The most dangerous part of doing a move is getting the machine onto the ground so if you use a Drop Deck you will eliminate this issue & only have to worry about getting the machine from the trailer to the site.

In my area of the country I could not find nobody willing to move machines for me, so I did the next best thing and bought my own expensive dollie to move them! Lol! I do have a utility trailor that helps out a bunch, along with a 1/2 ton truck that is 13 years old and still going strong! Also a Altoro who works for cheap!

mike

That's cause everybody in your area has their own tv show now Mike ;D

That's cause everybody in your area has their own tv show now Mike ;D

Everybody but me!

Even our good governor is back and will have his own show! Edwin Edwards!

I don't think to many people will understand me anyway!

My cajun accent is just to much for some! LOL! ;D

I'm sorry you missed out on that Royal - those are great machines (except for Donut's) - by far my favorite

Why do I suddenly feel like Rodney Dangerfield? No respect..... (shaking my head slowly)

Why do I suddenly feel like Rodney Dangerfield? No respect..... (shaking my head slowly)

I'm sorry,

I think my " inner child " is just mad because once you get that thing fixed you'll be into for half of what I just paid ..... or maybe it's my "outer child"

p.s - One thing about Seaga's is they are easy to move but the only place I would be taking them to would be the rubbish dump!!

I'm starting to feel bad about buying my Seaga...like I should move it to my man cave instead. The only thing I found is one motor seems to be dead and I've been having difficulty finding a replacement. I'll be putting it into service this month and from the negatives on it, I'm looking to already replace it prior to any issues with a royal soda machine and dixie snack. What seems like it will be a good machine is starting to seem like a hugely big mistake with all the anti-seaga comments. Pretty soon I won't even mention the name, so I don't get stoned. :)

I'm starting to feel bad about buying my Seaga...like I should move it to my man cave instead. The only thing I found is one motor seems to be dead and I've been having difficulty finding a replacement. I'll be putting it into service this month and from the negatives on it, I'm looking to already replace it prior to any issues with a royal soda machine and dixie snack. What seems like it will be a good machine is starting to seem like a hugely big mistake with all the anti-seaga comments. Pretty soon I won't even mention the name, so I don't get stoned. :)

Don't get too down on yourself Eugene. We all make mistakes - if we didn't this forum wouldn't exist. There are a lot of absolute horror stories out there about people who got sucked into biz ops for huge amounts of money. One Seaga machine does not put you in that category.

Sell that thing - take a loss if you have to, but get rid of it.

One of the advantages to paying extra through a pro refurbisher for newbies, is that you can buy a machine and leave it there until your mover can take it to your location. These machines also come with a ninety day warranty and they'll teach you how to operate it (programming, etc.).

Down the road, get yourself a GOOD hand truck (like the one Cajuns got). You can rent a truck with a lift gate - I do this but I try to coordinate the purchase of at least two machines to spread the rental cost out. I'm 5'9" and weigh 150 lbs. and I can move a big soda machine around - the second guy is just for safety in case the thing gets away from me (only one person can work the hand truck anyway).

In the meantime, if you'd tell us where you're at, somebody here could probably direct you to a good machine source in your area.

Hi Eugene

I was only joking when I said "the only place I would be taking a Seaga would be too the rubbish dump" so don't feel bad as we have all made mistakes when starting out. I think that while a Seaga is not best machine you could of brought you could have got something much worse.

The one advantage you have is they are easy to move as they breakdown into two piece's so you could use it as a "Trial Machine" if you wanted on sites you are not sure will be profitable. It will save you the cost of getting a mover to transport it & if you find the site is a dud you can just move it again but if it is profitable you can upgrade the site to larger equipment.

Archived