MEI AE series validator in a vending machine

Hi, I have a location that is an addict recovery center for women, and the residents there are court ordered for certain length of stays. My problem is that every time I go to service they all want me to break 20's and 10's to make change to use my machines because they cant leave to make change for themselves. I have noticed that the MEI AE2600 series has an MDB interface and will accept $20 bills (and higher), and the bezels look the same. I understand that I would have to have a coin mech that would be capable of supplying a large amount of change, but my question is would the AE2600 series work even though they are meant to be for amusement purposes? 

Yes, the AE2600 can be used in a vending application.  If you then get a coin mech with a dollar coin tube and you can get rolls of dollar coins from your bank (probably special order), then you can make this work, especially as your machines should accept the dollar coin without problem.  You can then recycle the dollar coins they put into your machines back into your dollar tube. 

If you need any of these parts you can PM me for information.  I would need to know the model of machine these parts would go into.

Do you not have a credit card reader?  It might be a good option as well.  I definitely recommend getting a VN 2700 series validator though.  I wouldn't take anything higher than a 20 because I wouldn't want to know what someone tried to do to get their money back when there was a jam or some type of error that didn't allow them to get their change back.

Whats the difference between AE and VN?

I'm pretty sure AE stands for Amusement and/or Entertainment while VN stands for Vending.  I also believe that the AE models are designed to be used upside down to fit better in amusement machines but I am not positive on that one.  They will take the bills in any direction regardless.

There are no physical differences between VN and AE series validators other than the switch setting label being red on the AEs and blue on the VNs.  The labels are different however, with the AE series giving you the option for a gaming or vending installation.  The AE validator also only gives you bill options with 2s and 20s - all other bills are always enabled.  These options are with the switch settings as you can make other option choices if you program the validator with a coupon.  This model can be told to operate upside down, give 1 pulse or 4 pulses per dollar (for gaming) and can be programmed with the coupon for an enhanced high-security mode which is very useful when accepting high value bills.

The AE can be connected as MDB, vending, bi-directional serial and gaming.

Thanks for all the replies. I was planning on using a coin mech with two tubes of quarters and one dollar coin tube and then accept up to a $10 bill, and that should take care of most of their issues. Plus when they have those pesky dollar coins in their pocket, its very tempting to use them back in the machines since they are not a real common coin. I honestly was unaware of the vn2700 series which seems to be pretty much the same thing as the AE series.

I just got a vn 2700 recently. It's just like the rest of the 2000 series from the operator's view except it has different switch settings. To me, It's just a newer model with newer components but I got it cheap.

Archived