can't get through the door

yes. the anderson isn't like the wooden piano dollies. These raise the machine as you tighten the straps with the ratchets, raising it to a height of about an inch & 1/4. enough to go over thresholds. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes. the anderson isn't like the wooden piano dollies. These raise the machine as you tighten the straps with the ratchets, raising it to a height of about an inch & 1/4. enough to go over thresholds. 

At one time Anderson made a wooden version which is what I thought you had.  It looked like it would be pretty easy to duplicate for about 1/4th of the cost. I was just hoping to get some better pictures of it since it is no longer listed on their website

ah, didn't know they had a wooden one. Bet the weight rating isn't very high.

I've moved a fully loaded 501e in a location with the wooden version very easily. Very simple concept that works great on soda machines.

For those that have not seen the Step Rider Big boy in action

Dang that's awesome - if I didn't have to spend so much money on haircuts, maybe I could afford one of those  ;D  ;D

Moondog I spend a lot on bandages because I am banging my head all the time. Razor blades aren't cheap anymore.

My philosophy is no matter if you are  vending or just a mover/ technician is perception. You must be clean, equipment no matter if it is a vendors or equipment you use makes a really big score in the eyes of the customer. When you install in a really nice building all eyes are on you. There is an audience every time you show up to do an install.

The audience sometimes is so busy checking out my trailer they don't even see the equipment. I have been told on a few occasions it has took the competition several hours to move equipment out that only took me less than an hour.

Couple of weeks ago a friend in Ok City lost a large account to a competitor large bank  of nine vendors  and  3 satellite loc. The move date kept getting moved up. The customer called and wanted him to move out the day before because the competitor told them it would take us all day to pick up the equipment.  

Took us (3 employees and me) 3 hours to pick up 15 vendors. Customer was pissed when we moved everything out at lunch time. Including the microwaves. LOL the competitor showed up and they were not happy either because they were not ready to set.

Yes I have spent a lot of money (all tax deductible) but it isn't anymore than some spend to set a good location.  Also I don't want someone to get hurt. I don't have workman comp and I don't think most small guys don't either, I can't afford to get hurt and laid up for a couple of months. I would be done.

Be sharp, be clean, be impressive from the get go. It works from day 1. Referrals will come just from that. The little guy has to have a advantage.

You do not lose locations from good service in most cases but you will from poor service everytime. 

Late to this discussion but thought I'd jump in anyway. I have had great luck moving machines with my recently purchased Anderson dolly, though I have replaced the ratcheting straps with a heavier set from etrailer.com. I load them on my trailer with no problems. 

When I have to go up a step I use one similar to this to get it up the step, then fold the back wheels in when I am at the doorway, allowing me to drop the machine lower supporting it with our shoulders (I recommend two people, but I have done it by myself) long enough to get it through the door and then lift it back up and pull the rear wheels back out to a locked position. (hope thats clear) With a step or lip close to the doorway, I would go in backward, lower the machine to get through and raise it when top of machine clears the door facing. 

The problem we have here in Kansas is Dot. Anything over GVAW combined 10,001 lbs has to be DOT. Your setup would be over here and you would have to go through all those regulations including medical cards and all the other stuff.

That is the reason I use a 1/2 ton truck and a single axle trailer. I am still over but it is all perspective as long as I don't get pulled over and weighed. :o 

With 6 vendors I will gross around 13,000 lbs. I also put air bags on to keep truck and trailer level. Trailer also has air ride. So weighing 14,000 lbs it looks to be light. 

The problem we have here in Kansas is Dot. Anything over GVAW combined 10,001 lbs has to be DOT. Your setup would be over here and you would have to go through all those regulations including medical cards and all the other stuff.

That is the reason I use a 1/2 ton truck and a single axle trailer. I am still over but it is all perspective as long as I don't get pulled over and weighed. :o

With 6 vendors I will gross around 13,000 lbs. I also put air bags on to keep truck and trailer level. Trailer also has air ride. So weighing 14,000 lbs it looks to be light.

golpher, worse than nazi California

You can drive up to 26 k with regular license , but you have to pay weight fees and stop at chicken coops

golpher, worse than nazi California

You can drive up to 26 k with regular license , but you have to pay weight fees and stop at chicken coops

Yes and you can't drive but 55mph if you are pulling a trailer of any kind. I think it is CDL here if it has air brakes. You don't have to have CDL if it is under 26,000 but you do have to have a medical card if it is commercial. And maintain a log book if you go beyond 100 mile radius and you are also required to keep records of hours. So no 70 plus hours. If you have a daytime job your hours at the job plus vending can't be over 70 hrs. 

Pepsi got sued because one of their route drivers was working about 60 to 70 hrs and had a second job (walmart)  he worked about 20 hrs and DOT combined both jobs and it put the driver in violation. So they had to pay. 

So if we had a second job and was a driver even as a service tech we were required to let pepsi know and how many hours we worked every week. That is why they got rid of all 1 ton trucks and went to a lot of small vans in some cases. Had to be under 10,001 lbs. 

Yeah, so you got me all worked up to get that Step Rider Big Boy and here's the reply I got from them:

Dear Allen,

At this time our Big Boy hand trucks are out of production until we finish moving our facility. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Demi Dalton,

Step Rider Inc.

Yeah, I got another question for Demi. I'll post it later.

Yeah, so you got me all worked up to get that Step Rider Big Boy and here's the reply I got from them:

Dear Allen,

At this time our Big Boy hand trucks are out of production until we finish moving our facility. If you have any other questions, please feel free to let me know.

Demi Dalton,

Step Rider Inc.

Yeah, I got another question for Demi. I'll post it later.

I called up there a couple of years ago and the guy who answered the phone wasn't sure they were in business anymore.  I think the owner must have passed on and the whole thing is up in the air.  I drove by their location in Riverside and it looked like a ghost town.  I was just trying to spend some money  :blink:  You'd think they'd have made a few extras if they knew they were shutting down for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on steprider

They were in the process of moving to another building had most everything on trucks and there was a fire that burned up the phone system and other things. They found a building but after reading the 20 page lease agreement they declined. So it might be a while before they are back in production and taking orders. Phones are forwarded to the ladys cell.

She does have Brochures for the Big Boy and she is going to send me some. I will try to scan and post them. As long as it isn't against the forum rules.

Thursday I am going to have very difficult move. I think?  I am going to attempt to put a D/N 501 MC in a elevator with a 36" opening 42" to the back and 6' from side to side. I will attach the 4 wheel dolly to the Big Boy stand it up and hopefully I will be able to turn it once inside the elevator to clear Big Boy and door. I know it will go in but it will have to turn to clear door.  :o Will not be riding this one down.  :o

If it won't fit then I will have to take door off and take them down separately. 

I will take pictures and hopefully Video. No sound tho.  :o

Update on steprider

They were in the process of moving to another building had most everything on trucks and there was a fire that burned up the phone system and other things. They found a building but after reading the 20 page lease agreement they declined. So it might be a while before they are back in production and taking orders. Phones are forwarded to the ladys cell.

She does have Brochures for the Big Boy and she is going to send me some. I will try to scan and post them. As long as it isn't against the forum rules.

Thursday I am going to have very difficult move. I think?  I am going to attempt to put a D/N 501 MC in a elevator with a 36" opening 42" to the back and 6' from side to side. I will attach the 4 wheel dolly to the Big Boy stand it up and hopefully I will be able to turn it once inside the elevator to clear Big Boy and door. I know it will go in but it will have to turn to clear door.  :o Will not be riding this one down.  :o

If it won't fit then I will have to take door off and take them down separately. 

I will take pictures and hopefully Video. No sound tho.  :o

Come on Roger!

We wanna hear the "golphers"

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D

video will be good, maybe I can lean a thing or two about moving machines by a professional!

:rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:

cajun

Well we've gone from Can't get through the door to Can't get down the road - funny where some of these threads go.

Another word --- up the "golpher" greek with out a "golpher" paddle!

088.gif 088.gif 088.gif 088.gif

Man I need a fancy trailer and fancy dolly just like that!

Good going Roger!

I guess you would gringe, at my procedure at moving machines! lol!

cajun

Later, I'm going get a jacked up snack machine!

will post pictures later.

Update on steprider

Thursday I am going to have very difficult move. I think? I am going to attempt to put a D/N 501 MC in a elevator with a 36" opening 42" to the back and 6' from side to side. I will attach the 4 wheel dolly to the Big Boy stand it up and hopefully I will be able to turn it once inside the elevator to clear Big Boy and door. I know it will go in but it will have to turn to clear door. :o Will not be riding this one down. :o

I will take pictures and hopefully Video. No sound tho. :o

I'm surprised you don't have a stair climber with all the other fancy tools you have. I used one for the first time the other day it was interesting to say the least.

Had Vendo 821 on trailer for a few days and not wanting to unload it by myself I waited for my son-in-law to show up. Just in case. I had him video tape and here is the results.

Nice flood pants  ;D  ;D  ;D

Archived