DN 5591 gate replacement

CaptainMike

I recently purchased a refurbished DN5591. Some cans will double vend and the gates do not always open/close fully. Sodas will sit with the gate opened halfway, about to fall out. Sometimes the sodas double vend (yes, I am using the correct shims) The machine is about 10 years old and I don't know what was replaced.

I spoke to Crane and they said this is a typical item to wear out-makes sense-and that my problem can be resolved by buying new gates. The gate part number is 80190383001.

1. Is this just the gates wearing out or perhaps the solenoids underneath as well?? Pricey to replace all of them as it isn't just certain sodas getting stuck and customer wants it taken care of.

2. Is changing the gate as easy as a few screws? Crane seemed to think so and it is 10mins per gate to switch.

It's a pita to replace the gates as the screws are a very small hex head and any cheap nutdriver you use will wear out the tip. If you have done it a few times it's easier but the tool issue is the main problem. That and the tight space to work in and the fact that you are working blind and by feel.

You might just have a rusted or gummed up solenoids and you may need to power wash the machine. If you bought it refurbished is it under warranty? If you sharply push the plunger back and release it will it snap the gate closed? Do you still have metal wires that block the second item from vending or do you have a plastic flap that does that? Can you compare the faulty operation with other working selections and see what is happening differently? There can be many variables here as you can see.

I have the parts for this if you need to replace any. Just PM me.

Some earlier 5591 used a 1/8" ( !!!!! ) hex head screw to hold the gate in. They switched to 5/16" at some time during the production run. ( I've rounded out a number of cheap 1/8" sockets. I eventually picked up a 1/8" wrench, designed for RC cars, that seems to be holding up better. ) 

There are a couple of things to try, first is some serious deep cleaning.

I've also seen some of the gates a little tweaked, and require that the *other* side of the gate have a spacer,too. 

Be very, very careful of any lubricant you might want to think about applying. I've had to clean the lubricant off so many of those machines where someone has had the brilliant idea that it'll fix the problem. ( And then it gels up and the problem gets ten times worse. )

Radio Shack has the right nut driver. My experience with the gates is there is a pin that holds them together. It has been awhile since I worked on the gate. That pin will work itself down and then the gate won't open and close properly. Look at the gates that are working good and see if that pin is in place. If you find it has moved down take a small screw driver and push it back in place.If I remember right it takes a 1/8" nut driver to remove the gate.

In my experience 99% of the problems with this machine can be fixed with a very good cleaning and the right shim for each product.

If your gate is gummed up with soda you will need to remove it and soak it in hot water.

The very early machines had a very small diameter hex head screw. I could not find the correct socket I got the sales rep to send me one. The newer machines have a larger diameter head that you can find in a Craftsman socket set.

The next problem is the head is so shallow that most sockets will not engage the head. I found it necessary grind down the socket so it would grip better.

Take the product out and look at the slide if you see even one speck of anything on the slide your machine is to dirty.

Walta

• 1 month later...

They don't seem to be dirty, I assume they are just worn out as the machine is from 2004 and it is just 5-10 out of 40. They do snap back and forth (have plastic gate to stop second soda) OK, but under weight of 6-8 cans/bottles behind them they buckle...they don't open enough to release the soda. Also, they may release two at once. Solenoids don't look rusted from what I recall.

Would you replace gate or the solenoids? Both?

Do you have proper spacers in the columns that are giving you trouble?  Your descriptions sound just like what would happen if you had no spacers or wrong spacers installed in those selections.  The spacers attach to the right side of the column on the back of the gate next to the one you're vending from.  They are designed for specific products in order to prevent double vending.

AZ is correct.. Since there was so much problems with those in the beginning someone may have doubled the springs up. Now that you have cleaned it up they may have to much tension.

Shims are critical... The can should barely clear the proper shim. It should also hold the second can back. There is about 4 different shims each designed for different product. Don't remember which ones are for cans  

I was told 20oz bottles do not need a shim (aka spacer). After looking at the DN5591 manual, I see there is a 20oz bottle spacer. I am thinking my machine does not have these installed...I can't be certain. Also, the manual says you can use a little bit of WD40 on the pins in the gate.

AZ-How much for a set of 9 20oz bottle shims? Are these new or used?

Also, how much for a gate? New or refurbished?

Mike, I never noticed that the manual recommended WD40 for any moving part on this machine but you don't want to use it as it gums up in the cold and attracts dirt.  Food grade silicone spray is the best lubricant to use.  There are spacers for the 20 oz soda Pepsi products but not for the Coke products unless you are having problems with one of them.  Gatorade 20 oz requires no spacers.  Other products will vary. 

I will PM you the prices for the spacers and gates. 

These glassfront models sound like a service nightmare…What are the best glassfront machines ? How does the DN2145 compare to the DN5591?

They aren't service nightmares except for the fact that you need to keep them clean. They are quite reliable.

The glassfront Bevmax machine was invented and first produced by ECC in Florida.  ECC's first model was the 2054 which had short gates and a sideways condenser on a cooling unit that could never be removed from the machine as the cabinet was built around the evaporator.  The 2145 was the last model produced by ECC before Dixie Narco bought the company, and it had tall gates and a front facing condenser.  DN continued to produce the 2145 for awhile until they added some better features such as, a redesigned tall gate, product pushers, a better MDB board, dual drop sensors, redesigned cooling unit, etc.  At that point the model number changed to the 55xx series. 

The 2145 can be a good machine if it has been updated to late model tall gates and has product pushers.  The DN 55xx series is a very good model to get.  Both machines must have proper product spacers installed for your specific products and then you can't just move your products around willy-nilly without changing the spacers too. 

So it seems like you guys like the DN's for glass fronts.            

Is it fare to say in buying used glass fronts that the DN5591 would be first choice followed by DN2145 ?

I know it is a preference sometimes or what is available in the used market . Like my amusement business I like to keep it simple and stick with quality and not have too many different manufactures and models.

Maybe I should just ask these questions….What is the top 5 in these categories rated in order.

Bottle/Can machines.

Bottle

Glassfront

Snack

Combo

Thanks

Ok guess this is too much info. I am looking for…. Just getting started and trying to figure out what kind of used drink machines to keep a look out for.

It seems like eveyone likes the 501E which I just bought a couple on location along with a couple AP Studios. Besides the 501E not sure about Vendos or Royals or other models of DN.

Think I want to stick with multi price that can vend both bottles and cans and glass fronts. So what are other good Dn models that vend bottles and cans ?

Also do some DN models only vend bottles and not cans?

So it seems like you guys like the DN's for glass fronts.            

Is it fare to say in buying used glass fronts that the DN5591 would be first choice followed by DN2145 ?

I know it is a preference sometimes or what is available in the used market . Like my amusement business I like to keep it simple and stick with quality and not have too many different manufactures and models.

Maybe I should just ask these questions….What is the top 5 in these categories rated in order.

Bottle/Can machines.

Bottle

Glassfront

Snack

Combo

Thanks

I really like the Royal 660 for bottles and bottles and cans. 

Glassfront soda machines, I really like the 5591. ( The ECC 2145 is an abomination and should be killed with fire. )

For snack machines, I'm a big fan of the National 167. ( And late model 157. )

But that's just like, my opinion, man.

Archived