PayRange success?

cvending

I am wondering if any of you who have tried the new PayRange cashless system are having any luck. We have tried 8 units and have not met with general public acceptance. Over the last month we have sold a total of $36.75 in cashless sales. Are you having any better success?

Have you put the static clings on the doors and have you spent time introducing the feature?  Did it sound like that interested people or do they have a hesitancy to install an app on their phone that links to a bank or credit card? 

I have also found that my android phone won't work with the Payrange and that the app recognizes that my phone (Motorola XT897 from 2012) is not supported and won't let me download the app.  According to Payrange this is due to the older version of Bluetooth that is factory installed on my phone.  Per Payrange, their device only works with Bluetooth 4.0 or higher.  Every phone is created with a specific Bluetooth version baked into the hardware and it is not upgradeable after manufacture. 

I also found no instance of the Payrange app on the Google Playstore which is not due to my device's incompatibility.  I could only find it on the web version of the Playstore and once I confirmed it existed I had to use my phone browser to find it, not the Playstore.

Matthew, you must have the Christmas spirit! $5 per person is a lot to be giving away. I would not give more than the most expensive. Item in machine. I also am not sure that you could add money to someone's account. I believe they will need to load their own money to the account. Let us know how it goes.

When there is a firmware update available the Payrange will see it as it communicates through the cell signal on the user's phone.  The update will be available and begins downloading in packets so that when a user quits their instance of the app the download will stop with the packet it's downloading.  When the next user initiates a Payrange transaction the download will pickup where it previously left off.  Eventually through successive user sessions the entire download will finish and subsequently be installed.  These downloads are not noticeable by the users and they incur no extra data time as the download is running in the background of the data session they have open within the app for their purchases.

Cash sales data is transmitted back through the cellular signal as well so that you can access the cash sales information.

The PayRange will update in the background as AZ has stated. However, you can force the update by rolling your funds up onto the machine. It will take about 5 minutes to complete. Be sure that your phone does not go into sleep mode while waiting for download to complete. When complete, the funds will then return to your phone. You must then power down the machine and turn back on. You can check what version firmware you then have by rolling your money onto machine, then tap the two dollar signs on the trailing end of the bill at the same time. A window will open telling you which version you're now running. After version 8 or higher, you will not need to reboot your machine for any new updates. They will be done in the background seamlessly.

It's just background data which is packetized to be very minimal in size so that it's unobtrusive. So little data is transmitted with each transaction that it can take many users before the entire download is complete. Future updates will be even smaller so they will be negligible in size.

If there is wi-fi available, it will run on wi-fi. If not, cellular data does not need to be as strong as phone service. Try texting from the site. If texting works, then PayRange should work.

If there is wi-fi available, it will run on wi-fi. If not, cellular data does not need to be as strong as phone service. Try texting from the site. If texting works, then PayRange should work.

carrier is also a major factor

Approximately 4 years ago, I had a disagreement with someone about cashless.  He felt that machines would be installed cashless-ready within 10 years from the time of our discussion.  I felt as though we had at least 15 more years before cashless became the primary revenue collection.  The reason being that people don't trust credit card readers on vending machines (yet) and cash is still king for a lot of people out there.... especially large blue-collar locations with middle-aged or older people.  They prefer to pay with cash.

At this point.... I feel as though payrange and micro markets are going to change things.  Although micro markets are not vending machines (they are micro markets.. duh..), the primary form of revenue is cashless... and that's for many good reasons.  Payrange though is something I believe will be the future... not necessarily the brand, but the idea.  My understanding is that Europe and Africa use their phones to make purchases on a regular basis.... Europe does it because... well I don't know.  Africa does it because many regions in Africa has installed celluar towers for communication purposes... which makes cellular purchases logical.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think payrange is a potential game changer.  The hardest part will be convincing people to purchase things in this manner.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so I go to one of my accounts that has PayRange installed. I was there for a coin mech issue on another machine but while I was there I upgraded the firmware on the PayRange to Firmware 11. Before I left the account, I used the Payrange to make a snack machine purchase. The next morning I logged into the PayRange  site to check sales. My sale did not show up. I contacted PayRange and they could not find the sale either. I looked at my phone and the sale amount had been added back to my balance on my phone. I saw it deduct it from my phone during the sale.  My PayRange sales have not been what we were expecting, but I am wondering if this is happening more that we know. If this had not happened to me, who was more aware of my balances, I can be giving product away and receiving no payment. Still waiting to hear back from PayRange! 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived