Got asked to leave

labryan3

I was told to pull a snack machine out by the end of the week. There was no contract but shouldn't I have a little more notice? Do we have any legal rights regarding this. And if they move it or unplug without my permission is that a crime? 

Thanks in advance

With no contract you are at the will of the location.  It would be nice to get notice, but that's business sometimes.  If they damage the machine (real damage, not some stray scratch) you may be able to recover something in small claims court if you can prove who is responsible, but just moving it or unplugging it is not a crime as long as you can still retrieve it from the location in good condition.  Try to leave on good terms, sometimes you end up getting these accounts back in the long run if the new vendor falls flat...

Just leave. The location wasnt probably worth your time and you could probably find something better.  I have been in the position once and I reiterate before placing any machine that if they would like for me to leave, we need a thirty day notice and likewise if we decide to leave your location we will give a a 30 day notice.  Still sorta at the mercy of the location because they could be butt heads since nothing is technically in writing.

Just lost a carwash yesterday...it happens.

It was a decent/good account that we had for years.  It had an old snack machine in it that we thought about upgrading for years but knew we would have to hire a company to remove a weird door in/out of their business.  Four months ago, they requested a newer machine so we bit the bullet, hired a door company ($200) to remove/replace the door and we brought them a much newer/nicer machine ($1500).  They also asked to get up to date on their commission check (we normally pay them every 6 months).  Over the coming weeks/months, they started doing construction and renovations at the account.  Three months after the machine upgrade the new owner came up to us saying the machine had to go due to there not being enough space.  There was plenty of space, and we told her how the machine had been there for 15+ years with no space complaints.  They would listen, they didn't want to put the machine some where else in the lobby, and told us to remove the machine.  We asked them to pay for the door people to come back or at least split the next bill with us and they refused.  We proceeded to drag our feet for about a month, letting the machine sell down.  They asked for their last commission check (2 months worth so not much at all) and we laughed at them.  We expressed how we had done nothing wrong over the years, brought them a new machine for them, paid for the door people without asking for them to share in the costs, and all in all were out about $2000 because of them.

We probably could have been difficult, left the machine in there until they paid for the door people to come take the door off, and made a little bit of money, but it wouldn't have been worth it.  Pick up the machine, look for a new good home for it, and move on.  We are already working on a new home for our new-ish machine.

3 hours ago, CapitalCityVendingLLC said:

Just lost a carwash yesterday...it happens.

It was a decent/good account that we had for years.  It had an old snack machine in it that we thought about upgrading for years but knew we would have to hire a company to remove a weird door in/out of their business.  Four months ago, they requested a newer machine so we bit the bullet, hired a door company ($200) to remove/replace the door and we brought them a much newer/nicer machine ($1500).  They also asked to get up to date on their commission check (we normally pay them every 6 months).  Over the coming weeks/months, they started doing construction and renovations at the account.  Three months after the machine upgrade the new owner came up to us saying the machine had to go due to there not being enough space.  There was plenty of space, and we told her how the machine had been there for 15+ years with no space complaints.  They would listen, they didn't want to put the machine some where else in the lobby, and told us to remove the machine.  We asked them to pay for the door people to come back or at least split the next bill with us and they refused.  We proceeded to drag our feet for about a month, letting the machine sell down.  They asked for their last commission check (2 months worth so not much at all) and we laughed at them.  We expressed how we had done nothing wrong over the years, brought them a new machine for them, paid for the door people without asking for them to share in the costs, and all in all were out about $2000 because of them.

We probably could have been difficult, left the machine in there until they paid for the door people to come take the door off, and made a little bit of money, but it wouldn't have been worth it.  Pick up the machine, look for a new good home for it, and move on.  We are already working on a new home for our new-ish machine.

I know the feeling on this one regarding doing something for them and they want you to do additional favors despite the unfavorable terms.  My favorite story is the building manager who contacted me regarding my 2 machines located in the basement of a 20-story building where all but the 20th floor were completely vacant.. meaning that the only customers were the people from the 20th floor (law office), him, and the cleaning crew.  This guy had the nerve to call me one day and complain how the machine was almost empty and only had 1-2 items in most of the selections.  I explained to him (over the phone) that the location was slow and had to be stocked low.  I get there and check and only 3 selections were sold out... out of 40 selections.  I put about 3 in each empty selection and not much else.  He calls me back a few days later saying that "my driver" needs to come back and fill it up or I need to remove the machines because he doesn't like the service.  I called my mover the same day and had it picked up.  In hindsight, I should have never gotten that account in the first place.  It probably generated $800/year between a AP 7600 and DN 501E.  He was just an golpher.  Oh, and he was convinced that he'd get some big company to come in and give him new machines too lol.

I lost a mid-size account the other day ($100/week). Was a tire shop with about 10 employees. Had an old one price coin only snack machine and a decent drink machine. Since this account was part of a buy out of another company I was surprised at how well it was doing and tried to upgrade the machine one day. Get there get through the overhead door, and find out the door to the breakroom is an odd size and machine won't fit. Manager tells me to hold off because they are going to remodel the offices and make the lobby bigger and will want the machine moved into it when done. Then all of a sudden with no warning we go in to service the machines and there sits a brand new combo machine that the owner bought and we are told we have to pick ours up. We were servicing every week and keeping everything well stocked and had only had a couple times that we had sell outs. Only thing I can figure is the owner saw how much product we were hauling in weekly and decided to get the money for himself. 

Employees were upset because his prices were anywhere from .25 to .50 higher than ours had been. Took the dinosaur of a snack machine to the scrap yard and took the drink machine to another account that had a cooling deck go out that morning. 

51 minutes ago, Jchunn28 said:

I lost a mid-size account the other day ($100/week). Was a tire shop with about 10 employees. Had an old one price coin only snack machine and a decent drink machine. Since this account was part of a buy out of another company I was surprised at how well it was doing and tried to upgrade the machine one day. Get there get through the overhead door, and find out the door to the breakroom is an odd size and machine won't fit. Manager tells me to hold off because they are going to remodel the offices and make the lobby bigger and will want the machine moved into it when done. Then all of a sudden with no warning we go in to service the machines and there sits a brand new combo machine that the owner bought and we are told we have to pick ours up. We were servicing every week and keeping everything well stocked and had only had a couple times that we had sell outs. Only thing I can figure is the owner saw how much product we were hauling in weekly and decided to get the money for himself. 

Employees were upset because his prices were anywhere from .25 to .50 higher than ours had been. Took the dinosaur of a snack machine to the scrap yard and took the drink machine to another account that had a cooling deck go out that morning. 

I'm sorry to hear that.  I have never had an account install their own machine to replace mine like that but that definitely sucks.  The closest thing I had to that was when I bought a small account with a combo machine doing $50/week.  At $50, it looked fairly empty and I didn't think to change a few snack selections around to stock more of what sold in there.  The cooling deck went out about 3 months in and I didn't know how to repair one of those.. so I told them I would have it picked up and repaired.  They told me to wait on replacing it because the break room was getting remodeled and they would call me when they were ready for machines.  Fast forward about 3 months later.. I walk in to ask about the progress and they tell me that another company (big company) gave them 2 brand new machines.  I was a little pissed but I also knew that they would lose their machines within a few months once the company found out how little they actually made.  Looking back, I am not upset about losing it except for that I had already paid something like $1,000 for the account.  $100/week is a little rough to lose but it sounds like you didn't have much invested in the account.  There's nothing like people who simply don't have the decency to tell you that they will be replacing you.

8 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  I have never had an account install their own machine to replace mine like that but that definitely sucks.  The closest thing I had to that was when I bought a small account with a combo machine doing $50/week.  At $50, it looked fairly empty and I didn't think to change a few snack selections around to stock more of what sold in there.  The cooling deck went out about 3 months in and I didn't know how to repair one of those.. so I told them I would have it picked up and repaired.  They told me to wait on replacing it because the break room was getting remodeled and they would call me when they were ready for machines.  Fast forward about 3 months later.. I walk in to ask about the progress and they tell me that another company (big company) gave them 2 brand new machines.  I was a little pissed but I also knew that they would lose their machines within a few months once the company found out how little they actually made.  Looking back, I am not upset about losing it except for that I had already paid something like $1,000 for the account.  $100/week is a little rough to lose but it sounds like you didn't have much invested in the account.  There's nothing like people who simply don't have the decency to tell you that they will be replacing you.

It was tough to lose that revenue stream because it  was pretty much a gauranteed $100/week. But I already had made back what I had paid for the account and machines and then some. 

I'm working on trying to come up with an agreement for all of my accounts. Something that just says chocolate will be pulled during summer months if the machine is not in a cooled area and that they agree to give me a 30 day notice if they want to replace me, if they don't give 30 days, then they will be responsible for paying for the machines to be moved. 

I placed a snack machine at an account one month and was told they wanted a drink machine when they made room for it in a few months.  After about a month with the snack machine the owner I went in to service it and the owner was mad because she hadn't received any commission for the snack machine.  I told her that neither of us mentioned that beforehand, but we can talk about it.  She was busy and couldn't talk about it right then.  So, the next week I came in to service the snack machine and the owner told me to get my machine out because they don't want any machines in there at all.

So, a few days later my partner and I got it out.  The very next week on a Sunday afternoon as I was riding by, I saw her and someone else moving a snack machine in from her pick up truck.  It was EXACTLY the machine that I had in there and just pulled out.

I think she bought a drink machine shortly after that .  

Guys..some customers are better just to not have.If the guy is an golpher I dont want him as a customer.I had this clothing store in Montreal,about 40 employees and mostly teenage girls.Not prime customers.So anyway the owner wanted weekly visit and just a couple of selections empty out of 28 was an empty machine.They freaked out for chips expired for 2-3 days.What is funny is the guy never actually talked to me,for any of his complaints or when they wanted me to remove the machines.He went trough his secretary,like he is the president of USA or the pope or something like that.I pulled out the machines,sent them to a new customer.I ended up being relieved it felt so good.No need for a an arrogant golpher in my life

1 hour ago, vinceqc said:

Guys..some customers are better just to not have.If the guy is an golpher I dont want him as a customer.I had this clothing store in Montreal,about 40 employees and mostly teenage girls.Not prime customers.So anyway the owner wanted weekly visit and just a couple of selections empty out of 28 was an empty machine.They freaked out for chips expired for 2-3 days.What is funny is the guy never actually talked to me,for any of his complaints or when they wanted me to remove the machines.He went trough his secretary,like he is the president of USA or the pope or something like that.I pulled out the machines,sent them to a new customer.I ended up being relieved it felt so good.No need for a an arrogant golpher in my life

Retail is the worst... I completely agree with you.  If the account makes is a pain in the butt, and they don't make much money as it is, let them deal with someone else.  I'm all about making profits but I don't want any unnecessary stress because someone wants to feel all mighty and powerful!

The only time I deal with stuff like this is when it's a good account.  If I had a $20k/year account (which I don't) and the owner/big-wig wanted 2 rows of potato chips despite being a slower seller, I'd put 2 rows of potato chips!!  However, I can only imagine a retail store with girls doing $20/week at best out of a snack machine.  Girls like that don't want to put money into a vending machine.

I just wanted to share that i just lost an account. I'm bothered that they won't give me a reason, but i have considered canceling the account before. The only part that bothers me is that i have no storage space. 

8 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I just wanted to share that i just lost an account. I'm bothered that they won't give me a reason, but i have considered canceling the account before. The only part that bothers me is that i have no storage space. 

I have a few like that too. Been trying to sell them but no takers yet. I sure don't want to drag them home. Guess I'll let them continue to waist the locations space🙄

Archived