Targeting asians customers ?

vinceqc

Got a new location,the stats are good (number of employees and 3 shifts ) and big plus it is located 5 minutes away from home.They use to have a crane combo vending machine,with no bill changer and that was often empty or the coin changer wouldnt work.I put a full sized snack and got a nice cold drink machine,which is owned by Coca Cola.There is a bill acceptor now I hope it will help.But I have mixed feelings between « Its gonna be good ! » and « It's gonna suck big time » The reason is there about 1/4 of the employees who are middle aged asian people.Will I ever be able to reach those customers ? Damn I met hundred and hundred of people using my machines over the 7 last years and I think 2 of those were asians.Is there any products you use to reach that market ?

On another note,when I got the call from the company HR lady who was managing the new vending operator thing,I soon discover the operator she wanted to kick out was a guy I know,bought my change sorting machine from him and a few vending machines as well.Nice person,we have polite discussions when I meet him somewhere.What you guys would do in that case ? It's not like I called the customer and stole it from him but still maybe I could have done something.

2 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

Regarding the last part, business is business.

I know,but some people really helped me in this business.Refering me accounts.Selling me machines for cheap.Finance with no interest.Etc

I feel I just couldnt take the place of those guys like that.Quebec vending community is pretty close-knitted.There is only 3 company where you can actually go and buy vending machines parts.One of them is call Andre Labbee inc ( Brokerhouse distributors in the rest of canada ) everybody in the business go there.

When I take over an account on a customer call I usually reach out to the current vendor beforehand, sometimes if the equipment on site is good (not like yours sounded) I even offer to buy it.  Either way, I am upfront with them and have yet to have a big issue with anyone.   I try not to solicit locations of certain others and hope they do the same for me, but when the customer reaches out for you then a change is going to happen, so if I can provide what the location needs I do it.  I never worked for any other vendors so non-compete issues are not involved; if you were an employee who went on their own I think it's very important to give a wide berth to your old accounts, at least for the first few years.  I wouldn't want to bite the hand that fed me...

Back to the original question about the Asian market - like any market some "field research" should help.  In other words, ask some of the employees if there is something specific they might like to be able to buy from your machines.   You probably won't be able to provide everything, but finding a few good items will earn goodwill.   If there is an Asian grocery nearby, drop in and look over what they carry for ideas as well.  They may also be willing to share some supplier info if your regular sources can't deliver the goods.

The reason they lost the location ( The guy and his wife I met ) is actually because one of their dumb employees.The contact within the company just kept telling him the machine wasnt taking coins or customers were losing some ( not enough quarters/defective changer ? ) and the guy just shruged and did not really do anything to fix the situations.The couple own a fairly large company and just can't be on the field and make sure everything goes well.

21 minutes ago, Southeast Treats said:

Back to the original question about the Asian market - like any market some "field research" should help.  In other words, ask some of the employees if there is something specific they might like to be able to buy from your machines.   You probably won't be able to provide everything, but finding a few good items will earn goodwill.   If there is an Asian grocery nearby, drop in and look over what they carry for ideas as well.  They may also be willing to share some supplier info if your regular sources can't deliver the goods.

Funny you say that because there is fairly large asian market just a few hundred meters from the location.There is quite a lot of vietnamese people in that area.I went to the store and saw some snacks such as « fermented fish gummies » or « shrimps crispers » it's not going to be an easy task !!

If the location ends up doing well and I keep it,it is pretty ironic I will sort the change from the machines with the machine they sold me.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the sales on a monthly basis will be 200-250.Kind of a deception...At least its close to my home and storage facility.I had the feeling this place would blow donkey balls when I saw the people working there.

Archived