Installing Bill Aceptor in a 1984 Vendo Pepsi Machine

Magister

First off, I'm completely new to the world of vending machines.  I have been collection Arcade Machines for quite some time, but Vending Machines are a whole new experience for me.  I bought a Vendo Pepsi Machine which I believe is from 1984.  It is one of the EZ Load ones.  I'm wondering if it is possible to install a Bill Acceptor?  I know I would have to cut a hole above the coin slot since it is the only free space on the machine.  But I want to know if it is possible to hook one up.  Just how hard would it be to install one?  Is it just a matter of plugging it into where the coin acceptor plugs into?  Plus I'm not even sure the dimensions of a Bill Acceptor and if it would even fit into that space.  Like I said, I'm completely in the dark when it comes to these, so please forgive me if any of this sounds stupid.

I can't answer you regarding whether it fits in the whole you are referring to or not.  Without seeing a picture of the inside and the outside, it's hard to tell you about that.  I can tell you that they make brackets where you need to trace the cut-out and the holes yourself.  So, it generally is possible to mount it to most soda machines with the right bracket and some general know-how of how to cut out a whole and drill holes.

As for being able to connect it, the machine in question is likely going to be what is known as "single price" meaning the price is controlled directly by the coin mech.  Giving us a picture of the inside of the machine will confirm this as well.  With that in mind, there are a few ways you can add a bill acceptor but the most economical way is to get a mars/mei harness for a single price machine and add a mars/mei 2501/2511 validator.  On a single price coin mech, the end of the plug is pretty big with 8 pins + 1 pin in the middle (known as a jones plug).  There are two harnesses.  One goes bewteen the male jones plug and the female part that the coin mech plugs into, with another end plugging directly into the coin mech.  Another harness just plugs into the coin mech but I have never used those.

With all of that being said, you should be able to get that all hooked up and mounted for less than $200, including the refurbished validator, new harness, new bracket, and some moderate labor cutting out the whole for the validator and the bracket.  Just make sure you trace inside the bracket and not outside or you'll end up with a hole that's too big to mount the bracket lol.

Beyond that, there are some kits that allow you to upgrade to newer devices such as a card reader, but you would be wasting your time and money on that.  Also, you need to confirm what kind of coin mech is in it.  If it's a modern mech (TRC 6800H, Coinco 9300-S, etc..) then you are fine.  If you have something that looks kind of a puke-yellow color and looks like it only has 2 stacks for nickes and dimes and might look like it's missing a part... then you have a very old coin mechanism and you need to update that as well.

There is nothing wrong with adding a bill acceptor to the machine in question, but there can be a question of whether it's worth investing into in the first place.  Try to give us some pictures of the inside and outside of the door and maybe the cabinet too.

I don't have the machine at the house right now.  It is actually down at the office being used.  It only takes coins which limits the amount of people that would use it since, lets face it, not many people carry change around with them anymore.  I really like this machine.  It's easy to load and overall a pretty simple machine to understand.  And everything on it runs like a champ.  The Coinco device has two tubes for nickels, but that works great with no problems.  And yea, it is a single price machine.

Rather than cut a hole in the lexan which is what many people do, mount a coffee house changer on the side.  It would be cheaper then buying an upgraded changer and validator.  I usually get around $100 when I sell them on ebay.....(hate the units that they come on)  changer is the only thing of value, in my opinion.

I'm guessing you mean the Coffee-Inn Change Machine?  They don't seem to be cheap on eBay.  Non-Working ones are going for $100.  Plus it seems to be quite a large item to be mounting to the side of the machine.  I really don't want to drill holes into the side of it.  Older Working Bill Acceptors are going pretty cheap on eBay.  AZ mentioned that the Coinco I have in there right now can't be used with a bill acceptor.  So I'm wondering what is the cheapest Coin and Bill acceptor that I can buy to work in this machine?  It's a single price only machine so all I need is one that takes $1 bills.  Of course, that's if a bill acceptor will even fit in there since I have no clue as to the size of one.

You can mount it in that big open spot above the coin mechanism as the harness should reach the coin mechanism from there.  That's more than enough space for a bill acceptor.  I'm against the coffee inn units.  The bill acceptors in those aren't full proof and neither are the coin payouts.  A refurbished mars 2501 and a refurbished mars 6800-H coin mech is the way to go.  You still need the single price harness and the bracket but we are probably talking about $250+tax and shipping here.  Again, the question is whether it's worth putting money into, not if it can be done.  It definitely can be done.  I would have scrapped that thing though.

It's a good solid machine.  I plan to get something a bit newer if it works out where it is at.  But like I said, the big issue it seems is that it only takes coins which probably turns a lot of people away.  Not sure why you would scrap it though?   Every thing on it runs great, and it looks nice.  I would like to go the cheaper route putting in a bill acceptor though.  I really don't want to put a brand new one in which is why I'm asking what would be the cheapest one out there as far as different coin machine and bill acceptor?   

2 hours ago, Magister said:

It's a good solid machine.  I plan to get something a bit newer if it works out where it is at.  But like I said, the big issue it seems is that it only takes coins which probably turns a lot of people away.  Not sure why you would scrap it though?   Every thing on it runs great, and it looks nice.  I would like to go the cheaper route putting in a bill acceptor though.  I really don't want to put a brand new one in which is why I'm asking what would be the cheapest one out there as far as different coin machine and bill acceptor?   

What i have mentioned and what AZVendor is offering is the cheapest reliable way.  Any other way is either unreliable or more expensive.

The reason i would scrap it is because, despite looking to be in good shape, it's quite old, not very attractive, only has 6 selections, and parts might be hard to get depending on what you need.  It's the equivalent of investing into an old 80's dodge van to use as a work vehicle. It might be in good shape and work well, but there are many better ways to invest.

I guess cheap was the wrong word to use.  I just don't want to put too much money into it and find out that putting a bill acceptor into it didn't help.  So I'm looking for something used but of good quality and at the cheapest price possible.  I don't have access to my email right now. But my email is ShadowMagister@charter.net if you want to send me that info.  

3 hours ago, AngryChris said:

What i have mentioned and what AZVendor is offering is the cheapest reliable way.  Any other way is either unreliable or more expensive.

The reason i would scrap it is because, despite looking to be in good shape, it's quite old, not very attractive, only has 6 selections, and parts might be hard to get depending on what you need.  It's the equivalent of investing into an old 80's dodge van to use as a work vehicle. It might be in good shape and work well, but there are many better ways to invest.

Not Attractive?  That thing just screams Awesome 80's.  But seriously, I bought it to test out an area and see if it's even worth putting a machine there.  The location is a Truck Fuel Center.  It's in the small room where the card reader for the pumps is.  So it's not like the machine needs to have curb appeal.  But if it turns out that the bill acceptor brings in more sales, then I plan in the future to change it out with a more updated one.   But yea, the only foot traffic it gets are people getting fuel.  I don't want to put it outside the card room because of all the dust that gets kicked up. 

6 hours ago, Magister said:

Not Attractive?  That thing just screams Awesome 80's.  But seriously, I bought it to test out an area and see if it's even worth putting a machine there.  The location is a Truck Fuel Center.  It's in the small room where the card reader for the pumps is.  So it's not like the machine needs to have curb appeal.  But if it turns out that the bill acceptor brings in more sales, then I plan in the future to change it out with a more updated one.   But yea, the only foot traffic it gets are people getting fuel.  I don't want to put it outside the card room because of all the dust that gets kicked up. 

The reason why I ask about the location is because the potential sales can be determined from it if it's a typical location.  I have never dealt with a fuel center as you call it.. almost every "fuel center" around here is a convenient store in the middle of the whole thing.  I have heard that truck stops do well.  The only other "fuel centers" I can think of are company-owned and only allow their own trucks in.  Aside from that< i have dealt with tanker refilling stations where the tankers refill so maybe that is what you are referring to.  If so, the one I dealt with had a small break room and the sales weren't anything to write home about.

If I were going to update that machine a little, I would add a bill acceptor without question, and I wouldn't mind spending over $250 to do it.  I would definitely buy refurbished parts if I had to buy some.

It's a place where all the truck drivers stop to refuel.  It has diesel pumps and some gas pumps.  You use a special card that you swipe in the card room and then fill your truck or car.  There is no store or person working there.  I'm just not sure about sinking a lot of money into a bill acceptor and find out it didn't help, and now I'm even more in the hole than what I started with the same results.  

1) I am not sure I agree about being able to fit a bill acceptor in that area over the coin mech, just from eyeballing the photos it's hard to tell.   I think the units may be a little too tall, when I get by my shop I will measure a couple and give you some numbers....

2) If the machine is good enough to upgrade, then you can always use it at a different account if the one it's in now flops.  I have been trying to get away from older equipment in general because of parts issues, but any machine that works and makes you money is a good machine..

Archived