Dixie Narco 501E burning through cooling decks.

bullyfrog

Like the title says, I've got an old single priced DN 501E on site that's giving me hell. I've swapped 3 cooling decks with each one lasting about a week. I thought I was just having bad luck and grabbing bad decks or something, but on the last one I pulled it from a working machine and it did the same thing to it. I tested the outlet and am getting a firm 120 from there. So, where do I look next. Power supply? What else is there on these old machines that could be burning up the decks like this so quick? 

How did you check your outlet? If you look at the typical outlet, 2 vertical slots, with 1 ground. For illustrative purposes, the ground is "down", the 2 slots "up". Volt meter, on AC volts. Black lead on ground, red lead on right slot should read 117VAC  +/- 7 volts. 

Then, black lead on ground, red lead on left slot should read less than 1 volt. 

120 is fine but they may be getting much higher or even much lower (brown outs). I found a machine once where the service in to the old tire shop was 130+ volts and I found that as I tried to figure out why they kept losing validators and mechs in the single price machine.  Had to have the utility fix the issue.  If there is heavy electric usage in your account then you could have brown outs.

More importantly, less than 1 VAC on the neutral side. 

If so, make sure evap motor inside cabinet is working, no damage anywhere on the power cord both before and after the power distribution box. Make sure the power source is a working breaker under 30 amps. Is any part of the door getting wet? Is moisture draining out of the cabinet  properly? Check your voltage when the compressor starts, it might be dipping under 100VAC

Sometimes a floating neutral situation will occur.

What will happen is that depending on load the voltage will change dramatically.

Also since they are so friggin cheap compared to decks I would just swap the main harness and thermostat.

Archived