Thoughts......

During the spring, summer, and fall months there is a large flea market/swappers meet/farmers market near my home.  Its on Saturdays and Sundays all day.  The thing is huge (providing decent weather).

There is only maybe 1 or 2 stands (food trucks) that sell refreshments.

I'm considering the idea of placing a small soda machine next to the ATM they have.  For approximately 5 months a year, the thing would make a filling on weekends, but nothing during the week or the rest of the year.

I could fill it every night since I live very close.

Problem is vandalism (even though the machine will get emptied every night, thieves don't know that), however the ATM seems to never have issues (although it leaves when business closes at the end of fall and returns in spring when it opens).  I suppose I could do that too and just leave the machine in my garage over the cold months.

Part of me thinks terrible idea, but yet another part of me thinks, find a smaller old cheap can machine off craigslist that works and give it a shot.  With as busy as it is on weekends, I could easily see 100.00 in profit over a 2 day span since everyone there has cash and all other vendors sell a cup of soda for 1.00-1.25.  I could sell a can for 1.00 and make a killing.

I donno.  What are your thoughts?  Anyone ever experiment at a location like this?

Are they going to get a commission?  I can't see the other vendors being happy about you having that there if they pay rent or commission if you aren't.  If it's $100, then you don't have much to lose but refunds could be a problem possibly.  I think it would be unfair though if you come in with a trashy $100 machine selling cans for $1 while the other vendors have to pay out so much more but if you don't have much to lose...

Yes, That would be one thing I would have to check to see what they would charge to have the machine placed there weather it be a flat fee like the vendors/food trucks or if they would want commission from vending machine sales.

On the machine quality......  If you saw the type of people that frequent the place and they type of stands/buldings/sellers, any machine circa 1985 would fit in just fine.

• Haha 1

• 11 months later...

Brining this topic back up as it is getting close.  I have not contacted them yet.  waiting to see what happens with all this coronavirus stuff as they may cancel the swap meet.

However, I've got an old Vendo 407 on hand set up for cans that is in very good shape and works 100%.  Think I could leave it there and just tarp around it for the days not in use.  Is the 407 rated to be used outside?

On the fence to do it or not....

The few times I looked at placing machines at special events they wanted too much money for a spot; but an ongoing flea market might be more affordable.  They will probably want you to pay whatever everyone else is paying to be there, and the other food vendors will hate you for the competition, but that's the free market at work... if you do it, try to make it a little more interesting, maybe with a single "mystery" column of mixed items something like this operator did...  https://www.facebook.com/Mystery-Soda-Machine-184905308242525/

4 hours ago, tblake05 said:

Brining this topic back up as it is getting close.  I have not contacted them yet.  waiting to see what happens with all this coronavirus stuff as they may cancel the swap meet.

However, I've got an old Vendo 407 on hand set up for cans that is in very good shape and works 100%.  Think I could leave it there and just tarp around it for the days not in use.  Is the 407 rated to be used outside?

On the fence to do it or not....

The door tag should say but most if not all bubblefront (not glassfront) Dixie, Royal, and Vendo sodas are outdoor rated.

I wouldn't even bother tarping. These things routinely spend decades outside. Only real damage that occurs is if it's directly in the sun, which yellows and fades the front, paint, trim, and buttons after a few years. Besides that the only other consideration is vandalism and theft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orsd said:

….... Besides that the only other consideration is vandalism and theft.

Which the area is gated off, though that really wouldn't stop anyone.  If they want to steal, they will.

As for being outside.  This machine spent its whole life inside which is why I'm sure its in such good shape (and why I haven't scrapped it).  I'd hate to ruin it.  However, I'm also worried about mice and rodents making their way inside.

I've got a call in with the company to see if they would allow a machine and the cost so we'll see what they say before we get too carried away.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

If you want to keep rodents out of the compressor area, consider covering the front and back compressor openings with hardware cloth, which is a metal screening you can buy in a small roll at most hardware stores.  It should not restrict airflow, and will be out of sight of the customers.  It should deter rodents, who do like to nest next to the compressor and drip tray, where they get both warmth and water....