Need help Every other slot on the row doesn’t work

My work asked me to fill the vending machine because of my side gig and I said yes now this machine is from over 20years ago now we have the problem It says error every time I open it and it’s says make another selection when you choose one that is an odd number

brand crane national vendors

Look at the wiring on the harness behind the effected trays. These machines wiring is super flimsy so if a wires out of harness simply place it back into the plug. 

I'm assuming the odd numbered selections are all the smaller "candy" selections, such as D1, D3, D5, etc...  Was this machine working fine previously?  Did someone change something?  It's possible that every other motor is coupled to it's even numbered selection.  If that were the case though, pressing something like "D0" would cause D0 and D1 to both turn at the same time, but that's also assuming that the gears are there.  Otherwise, I am really curious if EVERY odd numbered column is not working or if just some.  If it's just some, then you probably have broken wires in your shelf harnesses.  If it is every odd numbered column, then I don't know what could cause that but the coupling seems like the direction I would investigate first.