Snackshop 500 running on Arduino & a Raspberry Pi

MrPenn

Finally finished my Snackshop 500 machine running on Arduino & a Raspberry Pi.

The program I wrote has the ability to control the whole machine etc. motors, coin mech, bill validator, lights, and even allows me to check inventory and cash at any location. Everything is original including the keypad. I added an LCD panel also to know when a button is clicked and just other stuff. Took a couple weeks but upgrading this older machine is completely possible and can probably have more functionality than newer machines. Cost me a total of 300$.IMG_1579.thumb.jpeg.b3206f44786026800f436b7e757b95ea.jpeg

• Like 1

Why would you put even one penny into such an old machine that you can't even get parts for? Yea for you for making it work, but to what end when the motors crap out on you?

It doesn't matter.  The motors do fail.  You can't get the door handle, shelf fronts, spirals, door trim, coin chute, front buttons, coin return cup or linkage, shelf or cabinet harnesses, power supply, basically whatever you could imagine, you can't get because the machine is 40 years old.

On 4/2/2023 at 2:41 AM, AZVendor said:

It doesn't matter.  The motors do fail.  You can't get the door handle, shelf fronts, spirals, door trim, coin chute, front buttons, coin return cup or linkage, shelf or cabinet harnesses, power supply, basically whatever you could imagine, you can't get because the machine is 40 years old.

the point is... is that an older machine can be upgraded without having to spend for a new one

• 11 months later...

MrPenn, this is amazing!  I was wondering if you have shared anywhere the ideas and even some of the challenges you overcame while doing this.  I would love to know more!

It's not just amazing, it's actually stupid.  He should have done it with an AP113 or something more usable than a 40 year old dinosaur that looks like a dinosaur.

I'm always curious about what counts as "everything" when someone says "everything is original" but then they list all of the new retrofitted parts that were added to it.