13 silver quarters from one location!

jayhawk22

I was servicing a movie theatre in Central Kansas today and pulled out 13 pre 1965 quarters! I'm assuming a little kid got into their dad or grandfather's quarter collection. This is a new high for one location. I usually find 2 per week. That was approximately a $78 bonus for the day.

Here is the best site that I have found for Silver Quarters Values

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/1932-1964-Silver-Washington-Quarter-Value.html

Here is a link to a Silver quarter Calculator that is awesome.

http://www.coinflation.com/coins/silver_coin_calculator.html

According to that calculator 13 Silver Quarters on 11-18-11 are worth $76.13.

How do you know its a silver quarter? I just cashed 320 dollars.in quarters.im sure there was one?

It's not a sandwich. Looks different, feels different, sounds different. You have a roll of quarters, this one will stand out.

I have a box of them I've collected since I was a kid but in 3 months of bulk vending, I've not seen one.

I was servicing a movie theatre in Central Kansas today and pulled out 13 pre 1965 quarters! I'm assuming a little kid got into their dad or grandfather's quarter collection. This is a new high for one location. I usually find 2 per week. That was approximately a $78 bonus for the day.

Have not found silver quarters in a long time. I do still find silver dimes once in a while, found one today as a matter of fact. I've saved over the years several hundred dollars (face value) of silver quarters and dimes.

How do you know its a silver quarter? I just cashed 320 dollars.in quarters.im sure there was one?

best way to tell if u have a silver quarter is to look at the side of the coin all coins after 1964 have a copper ring around the coin a pre 1964 will be all silver and alot of times if you just look at it the silver quarter looks almost white

13 silver out of one machine is amazing! Someone is going to be in big trouble when their father finds out that they found their old quarter collection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's all quarters 1964 and older. They sound different when they are dropped. They look brighter. The edge of the quarter is all silver not half copper and half silver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was servicing a sticker machine when I heard the first one from my son dumping the money from a toy capsule machine. Then later I heard it when he was dumping money from arcade games. They do make a unique sound when they hit the other quarters. I just listen for them when I dump them into the counter. I'll pass for now on your offer quick. I usually stock up a large amount before I sell. There are guys around here that are paying $6.00 each. I usually average finding 2 a week.

• 5 months later...

I haven't paid attention to this thread until just recently. I figured it was too much of a bother to try to go through all my quarters to find the needle in a haystack. Even the suggestion of looking at the edges of a roll of quarters seemed too much work, because my coin tube is not clear plastic, so I can't easily look at the edges.

But I was talking to my brother the other day, and he told me of his new hobby. He will go to the bank and buy hundreds of dollars of rolled Kennedy 50c coins. Then he will go through them all and pull out the pre-1965 and sell them for $9 each. The 1965-1970 coins and sell for $3.50 each.

But I think its time for me to start looking.

But looking at the links in this thread, I can see why I might sometimes have discrepancies when weighing my quarters. A silver quarter is 6.25 grams. A newer quarter is 5.64 grams.

As side note, I looked at the base metal calculator to check out the value of pennies. It turns out that a 50c roll of pennies has a melt value of $1.22, which is almost 2.5 more than the face value of the coin itself. It might be worth it to just hold on to pennies and sell them for melt value, rather than roll them and deposit them.

Looking at edges sounds like a good hobby. Do most banks have rolls of 50 cent coins? That sounds interesting also. I can certainly stack up tons of quarters and gaze over them. I shudder to think how many I have poured through the bank deposit machine.

After I amass them, what is the best way to sell them?

Looking at edges sounds like a good hobby. Do most banks have rolls of 50 cent coins? That sounds interesting also. I can certainly stack up tons of quarters and gaze over them. I shudder to think how many I have poured through the bank deposit machine.

After I amass them, what is the best way to sell them?

Since there is a weight disparity between silver coins and 1965 and up coins, couldn't you just weigh each roll and only look in the ones that don't weight what a roll of all post 1965 quarters should weigh?

Okay, so I'm looking for a silver (instead of copper?) edge, and then verifying by the year it was produced? (number under 1965 = win)

Basically yes, all Silver edge instead of part Copper and part Silver.

For me, I find them when I transfer the loose coin from my dropbox in the truck into a deposit bag. I slowly pour them from one container to the other and listen as I do so. The sound of a Silver quarter in the mix makes a very distinct sound when it "clinks" against the other quarters. When I hear one I stop pouring and it will be on top of the pile of quarters you are transferring. Its a whole lot faster than setting them all up on the edge and looking at them.

• 2 weeks later...

I love silver quarters. :)

I have found about $25 face value of quarters, including one heart-stopping find of a 1932, only to turn it over and no mint mark! Bummer, the 1932-S or 1932-D are worth a bunch if you get them, up to $1000.

My best out of one spot was 7 or 8, I think, out of a YMCA, Dad got his collection put in my machine. :)

I have a great ear for the sound and have used a counter and the sifting method described before.

I just pulled 5 quarters from 1961-1965 out of my Northwestern Triple Play a few hours ago. Someone must have gotten into someone's quarter collection, and had a hankering for "Ice Cream Cones Candy". It's been another good day.

Archived