ROGER FOLZ MOST FAMOUS QUOTE

bulkvendingwizard

Children are among the smartest buyers, so give them more value for their money. "The kids were very astute," Folz said. "If my machines gave them 13 pistachios and my competitor gave them 11, they knew right away to go to my machines."

AND THATS WHY I THINK VENDING 6-8 PMM IS A SMART WAY OF DOING BUSINESS.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then he sold his

Company which led to putting out of work the very people who got him where he was. Then it was torn all apart by a company who ran it into the ground.

You for got the quote where he says he sold out too early because of presure he was getting from companies with wall street pockets.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I hope you aren't paying more than $7-$8 for a 56oz bag of PMM.

Otherwise, selling 6-8 PMM for 25cents is putting your COG at 40%-50%.

That's not my definition of "smart".

Children are among the smartest buyers, so give them more value for their money. "The kids were very astute," Folz said. "If my machines gave them 13 pistachios and my competitor gave them 11, they knew right away to go to my machines."

If 6-8 is smart hell 8-10 would be genius GO FOR IT ;)

Roger Folz was getting old (age 75) and needed/wanted to move on. He could either sell the company off or pass it on to family. He had 2 sons. But one on his sons died. Not sure about the other son. But obviously the other son did not want it or was incapable of running it or maybe he just did not get along with his dad. What else could Roger have done? It was not Roger's fault that the new owner drove it into the ground.

Hopefully, someday we will all need to make that decision with our own successful vending routes. But even if we do the "right" thing, there is no guarantee that the new owners (even our own kids) will run it properly and not destroy it.

This is America. We all have a right to sell our own personal property and assets. And every business owner has right to sell off their business as well. Roger simply cashed in his chips and was in his rights to do so.

Here is some more info...

http://theamericanindividualist.blogspot.com/2007/11/folz-is-folding.html

Roger Folz was getting old (age 75) and needed/wanted to move on. He could either sell the company off or pass it on to family. He had 2 sons. But one on his sons died. Not sure about the other son. But obviously the other son did not want it or was incapable of running it or maybe he just did not get along with his dad. What else could Roger have done? It was not Roger's fault that the new owner drove it into the ground.

Hopefully, someday we will all need to make that decision with our own successful vending routes. But even if we do the "right" thing, there is no guarantee that the new owners (even our own kids) will run it properly and not destroy it.

This is America. We all have a right to sell our own personal property and assets. And every business owner has right to sell off their business as well. Roger simply cashed in his chips and was in his rights to do so.

I agree but I also like putting all the cards on the table. The good the bad and the ugly.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Agree 100% except he had 1 son, 1 dughter. Daughter not capable of running business.

Some people estimate he got 28 Million for his route.

• 1 year later...

No, it sounds like Coinstar promised to keep the company intact...and then proceeded to 'blow it up'. They bought the Folz bulk route locations just to get a foot in the door for all their other (coin counters and redbox) equipment. We have had at least a doubling of prices since the early 2000's, but Coinstar had too many layers of overpaid management for the bulk to work for them even back then.

No, it sounds like Coinstar promised to keep the company intact...and then proceeded to 'blow it up'. They bought the Folz bulk route locations just to get a foot in the door for all their other (coin counters and redbox) equipment. We have had at least a doubling of prices since the early 2000's, but Coinstar had too many layers of overpaid management for the bulk to work for them even back then.

I think you got it exactly right. Folz at the time was the master of securing large accounts. He had the net work to build it and I don't anyone else was even close.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

36m I believe to the Amusement Factory then to coinstar. Long story not worth repeating. Simply put, venture capitalist buys good assets borrows on inflated assets ( the bubble) load co with debt unloads to equally greedy venture capitalist who picks biz apart to save what it can. ta da. Everyone that actually works gets the shaft. Sort of like Interstate Brands. There never was any intention of running the biz, just raiding it. Roger Folz was from a different time and I don't think he really understood the depravity of modern business.

HA can you elaborate a little more on how he put those out of work that helped him get to were he was?

I will get back to you in a bit. I'm preparing a purchase order for more chickens. These things go fast

Tbuford has some keys to Folz machines. I believe the barrel lock was FV something key or maybe just an F number and the brass key was FV something(I need to look thru keys and find them, but won't do it. I know I have them though). I had some Folz racks I got rid of. Think I still have a metal sign that says Folz something with a carnival/fair looking picture(maybe a ferris wheel or a clown face) that was across the bottom of a rack, Got it in one of my gumball sheds. He was the man of an era that all of us as bulk vendors or at least Tbuford thinks admiringly of.

Tbufordhaspoken

Let's put the cards on the table, no more card tricks. Be square with us.

Bottom line is that this is a great machine. I have a goal to be at 100 by the end of the year. Then next year another 200. One way that you know its a great machine is that others are trying to copy it. Take coast to coast with the monkey or Ron on here. Trust me if it wasn't a good machine people would not want to copy the idea. It's not the same old bulk unit that has been pitched to a location 20 times. It unique modern and good looking. And the sales are above Adv of a rack. The machine is very easy to locate because its a machine locations want to to have.

Ya they are made in China. Just like all the toys you guys are selling as well as most of your caps esp if your using one of the smaller suppliers. Would I like the machine made here sure I would but with the current government policys and over regulation the machine would not be adorable. But by being in business I'm able to make money and spend money and that helps put people to work.

As far as parsal goes I have never worked with a better bunch if guys. Vending is all they have ever known its all they do. They are there to support us all and help us grow. They are very down to earth. Take James he has been vending for a few years let's be real he's a small fish right now but frank had him over to his home as a guest. You don't get more down to earth than that. How many of you have been to a suppliers house as a guest? He is also an operator and understands what we need to grow and is willing to help any way he can. The one time I needed a chicken part it was a EMI filter that had blown due to a bad power source that was also hooked to a fountain. Clearly not parsals problem. But when I called parsal they insisted on sending the part over night and refused any payment for part or freight. How many suppliers do that?

This machine is not going anywhere either jump on board and make money or sit and watch me do it.

I don't normally work on Saturday but this location called me 4 times while we were in TX wanting the chicken machine I showed them. Never had a rack location call me begging for a rack :D

Roger Folz is truly a visionary in the vending industry, creating a brand that is known internationally for it's quality and customer service for almost 100 years. Roger Folz is someone all vendors should strive to be like

Bottom line is that this is a great machine. I have a goal to be at 100 by the end of the year. Then next year another 200. One way that you know its a great machine is that others are trying to copy it. Take coast to coast with the monkey or Ron on here. Trust me if it wasn't a good machine people would not want to copy the idea. It's not the same old bulk unit that has been pitched to a location 20 times. It unique modern and good looking. And the sales are above Adv of a rack. The machine is very easy to locate because its a machine locations want to to have.

Ya they are made in China. Just like all the toys you guys are selling as well as most of your caps esp if your using one of the smaller suppliers. Would I like the machine made here sure I would but with the current government policys and over regulation the machine would not be adorable. But by being in business I'm able to make money and spend money and that helps put people to work.

As far as parsal goes I have never worked with a better bunch if guys. Vending is all they have ever known its all they do. They are there to support us all and help us grow. They are very down to earth. Take James he has been vending for a few years let's be real he's a small fish right now but frank had him over to his home as a guest. You don't get more down to earth than that. How many of you have been to a suppliers house as a guest? He is also an operator and understands what we need to grow and is willing to help any way he can. The one time I needed a chicken part it was a EMI filter that had blown due to a bad power source that was also hooked to a fountain. Clearly not parsals problem. But when I called parsal they insisted on sending the part over night and refused any payment for part or freight. How many suppliers do that?

This machine is not going anywhere either jump on board and make money or sit and watch me do it.

First of all its not about copying anything.. I merely mentioned the machine was grossly overpriced, and it could be made easily in America for the price that was being paid for it. If i was copying anybody it would be the original chicken made 30 years ago.

Just like when i imported so many cranes from Feiloli, Paoki, Hsin pao ,macrown, YES etc.. they will put whatever graphics you want on them!! of course they will be cheesy little cartoon stuff that now we are all used too.. (i.e. When we first seen the graphics on the toy soldier crane 10 years ago did we all not think it looked a little cheesy??)

The only reason the whole debate got started was i said I didn't understand why it was so expensive?? I just said if there really was a market for it I could build it here easily and charge a lot less.. Heck i could import it and charge alot less, anybody could.. Im sure the guys at parsal are great guys, Im not saying they aren't . Im glad they are making money and I'm glad your happy paying so much.. But Im on this board as a vending OPERATOR more so than a supplier.. I value the insights and networking with other operators. Im not trying to push my stuff on anybody. And i don't hire trolls to scream my praises in exchange for favors of machines etc.. The whole basis of a operator screaming "Hey this makes soooooo much money, Im gonna buy them all up, better get yours etc" is foolish as what operator invites competition like that on a public board? just saying.

Heck if they wanted to make it here and needed any help about information etc on American companies that could build that all metal cabinet I would tell them, or americans to make that board, american motor supplier etc..I really wished anything named "All American" was in some way american!! I probably tell to much to people as I am full of information. I'm sure there are some people that wished you wouldn't have started a debate with me because i will list all the contacts right here on this public board that I am sure they do not want everybody to know. but i didn't start this.

ron

Back then I made comments about the sale of Folz with out really knowing the in and out of how the sale worked or the Folz company for that matter. I didn't know back then that Folz gave 2 million of his own money to employees. Or that he had no idea that the company buying him out just wanted locations and not bulk. Learning more about how Folz operated I see how wrong I was in 2012 I have even talked to frank and he said its normal that o just didn't know enough about the inner workings of folz. So instead of trying to discredit me bring you new ideas to the table.

wow,, can somebody tell me who is behind the curtain??? i had a lot more information on that post and somebody re-wrote it and omitted the information???

talk about a public board!!!

ron

Ron is a experienced vendor and it is easy to tell this. I wish I had half his experience and knowledge. I know when I smell bs and it is a shame everyone doesn't have a bs sensor that works accruately. I would hate to know that vendors are rushing out to buy a machine because they heard that they avg $250.00/mo and do not take any quarters away from rack and locations are begging for them. That is a really quick way to get in too deep without an exit stratagie. If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is. These posts I made were not to be pointless or senseless but to be used as info to newbies and veterans alike.

i just made a post and put link up to place in china where anybody can order that chicken machine. not only was the link omitted, the post had been re-written leaving out some points i made .. sounds like some real behind the curtain actions, makes me really trust a supplier knowing this!! what BS

ron

i just made a post and put link up to place in china where anybody can order that chicken machine. not only was the link omitted, the post had been re-written leaving out some points i made .. sounds like some real behind the curtain actions, makes me really trust a supplier knowing this!! what BS

ron

That's just messed up.

Archived