Silver Quarters

pp47021

Do any of you look for silver quarters in your stash? A friend of mine owns a small car wash here in our small town he claims he finds 2-5 silver quarters a month. I have a quarter tube I use to count my quarters but never have really taken the time to look for silver until about 2 weeks ago. I have looked at over 1500 quarters since then and so far nothing. Am I missing them or are they that rare? I know they have not been made since 1964 so I am just wondering if it is even worth the time to look for them? What are they worth if you find one?

Well, a lot of that has been discussed in the past in THIS thread, but I'll shine some light on the phenomenon. For starters, I've been vending since last summer, and in that time I've found a few silver quarters. Since January I've found 2, and I've been looking for them. Generally, you will only get these from kids. Any adult that knows which quarters are which is looking for them, and the vast majority are in collectors possession I'm sure. However, kids don't know and don't care what a coin is worth- they want intimidate gratification. In that sense they are the ultimate consumer. All of my sliver quarters have come from kid-oriented locations, from machines aimed at kids- my Bouncy Ball head being the biggest harvester. They are exceedingly rare these days, but they are out there. Keep your eyes open and you'll find one eventually. Good luck!

It's not just silver, I found a handful of 1966 quarters in two seperate locations, they aren't silver but the online book puts these at $8 a piece. Not sure how or where I get this 8 bucks but holding onto them till I figure it out.

It's not just silver, I found a handful of 1966 quarters in two seperate locations, they aren't silver but the online book puts these at $8 a piece. Not sure how or where I get this 8 bucks but holding onto them till I figure it out.

Really? I've got a whole bunch of 1965's, 1966's and one 1967 sitting here too. Very interesting rdendy!

Really? I've got a whole bunch of 1965's, 1966's and one 1967 sitting here too. Very interesting rdendy!

I look anything I spot pre 1970'ish to see if it has any other value to a collector, I'm still small enough to be able to do that easily.

no the ones after 1964 have no silver content Im a collector and have been for many years, the 65,66,67,68,69 were only part silver in half dollars and the quarters in those years are only worth a quarter unless they are in mint state condition or have an error.

If you have a good ear, you can hear them.

a silver coin sounds different than a normal us coin.

I was at walmart about a year ago, and I got my change, and I heard something different when I was handed my change. got near the door and looked at my change. I got a 1940 silver quarter. it was in pretty good shape too, not all worn down. I said out loud, WOW, a 1940 quarter. guy near by said he would give me 5.00 for it. looked it up when I got home. it was worth almost 10.00. nice day.

another one this week

i average about one per collection cycle

I have looked through thousands of quarters in the past few months and have yet to find one. Do the coin counters kick them out or take them?

That's true my coin counter throws out like 2 out of 3000 quarters and keeps rejecting them puts them in the dollar slot haven't checked em

the machine at my bank does spit them out

I still keep an eye out for them though

how can the machine tell them apart? the only difference is one is silver and the other has various other metals.

but to the experienced vendor you can hear a silver quarter when you are dumping the coins, that distinctive "ting" is music to your ears.

how can the machine tell them apart?

Maybe weight? Silver quarters weigh a bit more than regular ones. Just a guess.

Coinstar machines spit them out. They also spit out wheat pennies.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

how can the machine tell them apart? the only difference is one is silver and the other has various other metals.

but to the experienced vendor you can hear a silver quarter when you are dumping the coins, that distinctive "ting" is music to your ears.

I agree, I found many a silver quarter just by that distinct sound when it hits the table or bag. Almost like you can shake it and hear it jingle. Got to love the silver bonus find.

Here is a neat little fact to help you figure out if it's better for you to melt or sell on Ebay for more.

This is what (1) quarter will do for you in melt using the latest metal prices these are the numbers required to calculate melt value:

Metal Composition: 90% silver, 10% copper

Total Weight: 6.25 grams

It is sometimes referred to as two bits because two bits of a Spanish piece of eight coin made up a quarter of that coin's value.

$28.13 = silver price / ounce on Aug 19, 2012.

.90 = silver %

6.25 = total weight in grams

.0321507466 = ounce/gram conversion factor

The silver price is based in troy ounces

Calculate 90% silver value :

(28.13 × .0321507466 × 6.25 × .90) = $5.0872512154

$5.0872 is the rounded silver value for the 1932-1964 silver quarter on August 19, 2012. This is usually the value used by coin dealers when selling these coins at melt value.

I agree, I found many a silver quarter just by that distinct sound when it hits the table or bag. Almost like you can shake it and hear it jingle. Got to love the silver bonus find.

Here is a neat little fact to help you figure out if it's better for you to melt or sell on Ebay for more.

This is what (1) quarter will do for you in melt using the latest metal prices these are the numbers required to calculate melt value:

Metal Composition: 90% silver, 10% copper

Total Weight: 6.25 grams

It is sometimes referred to as two bits because two bits of a Spanish piece of eight coin made up a quarter of that coin's value.

$28.13 = silver price / ounce on Aug 19, 2012.

.90 = silver %

6.25 = total weight in grams

.0321507466 = ounce/gram conversion factor

The silver price is based in troy ounces

Calculate 90% silver value :

(28.13 × .0321507466 × 6.25 × .90) = $5.0872512154

$5.0872 is the rounded silver value for the 1932-1964 silver quarter on August 19, 2012. This is usually the value used by coin dealers when selling these coins at melt value.

• 2 months later...

I was averaging 1-2 every cycle (6 weeks)

have not seen one in a couple months now

I am however up to about $60 in Canadian quarters though

No one will take them!

I put the Canadian quarters in competitors machines and put the product back in my stock. Of course I do it in places where I don't have machines too.

Archived