Potential New Location

mojorhino

One of my current customers referred a new location to me, because they were wanting a pop machine.  It's an auto shop with 8 bays, so they have 8 mechanics & a couple to a few more employees.

gallery_6992_163_154234.jpg

I went & spoke to them on Friday & they told me that they had another vendor look at the location in the past & he told them that it was not worth his time because it would not make enough to pay for the $75 state tax sticker.  I don't suspect this is the case because where I live mechanics drink a lot of soda, plus there is a waiting room & another building adjacent to theirs & they had close to 30 cars in their parking lot.  After speaking with them they definitely want one but I was unable to convince them to find the space to allow me put the machine inside the building or even inside one of the bays.  They want me to put it outside.  It's an M-F 8 to 5 business so think it would get more sales if it was outside however its in a kinda remote area so I am worried about the potential for vandalism.  There is definitely enough room inside the building but they would have to move some stuff around to make it fit.  I tried to show them a few places It would fit but could not convince them to allow me to do it.  Anyone got any suggestions as to how to convince them to make the necessary space? Should I put it outside or just not do it?

One of my current customers referred a new location to me, because they were wanting a pop machine.  It's an auto shop with 8 bays, so they have 8 mechanics & a couple to a few more employees.

gallery_6992_163_154234.jpg

I went & spoke to them on Friday & they told me that they had another vendor look at the location in the past & he told them that it was not worth his time because it would not make enough to pay for the $75 state tax sticker.  I don't suspect this is the case because where I live mechanics drink a lot of soda, plus there is a waiting room & another building adjacent to theirs & they had close to 30 cars in their parking lot.  After speaking with them they definitely want one but I was unable to convince them to find the space to allow me put the machine inside the building or even inside one of the bays.  They want me to put it outside.  It's an M-F 8 to 5 business so think it would get more sales if it was outside however its in a kinda remote area so I am worried about the potential for vandalism.  There is definitely enough room inside the building but they would have to move some stuff around to make it fit.  I tried to show them a few places It would fit but could not convince them to allow me to do it.  Anyone got any suggestions as to how to convince them to make the necessary space? Should I put it outside or just not do it?

Sounds like a decent potential account.  Tell them you'd be glad to supply the machine and exactly why you won't install it outdoors.  If they want it bad enough they'll make the space.  If you put it outside we both know what's going to happen so why bother.

The easiest way to convince them to put it inside is to tell them that you'll only install it inside!  Vandalism, vandalism, vandalism!!!  Tell them that one break-in could ruin your profits for a year and it's not your policy.  I have turned customers down who really wanted equipment but demanded that it get placed outside.  Unless the location is set up so that NO ONE BUT EMPLOYEES CAN ACCESS THE MACHINE, I will NOT do it.

Here's an example of an exception:  There was a nursing home that had an outside patio that was enclosed by the building.  Imagine a square bulding that was actually 4 hallways that were connected with an open area in the middle.  They had 2 machines outside (can and bottle) and there was nothing wrong with that situation because only employees could enter the building and the place was monitored 24/7.

I think I stumbled on to the perfect machine for this location that I can place indoors because it is pretty small

When took my daughter to girl scouts last night & they had this Dixie Narco 276 there that was unplugged.  I asked them about it & they told me that it had not been working for some time.  I asked them what was wrong with it & they said they did not know, so I plugged it in & it powered on & I could hear the compressor kick on. They said that people kept plugging it in & putting money in then complaining that it did not work. :huh:

gallery_6992_163_662626.jpg

I asked them if they had a key so I could take a look at it & they looked around but could not find one so they wanted to get rid of it.  They told me that I could have it because they wanted to put cabinets in its spot :huh:, so  I am going to pick it up tonight after I pull the snack machine that was vandalized at one of my other locations.

gallery_6992_163_668546.jpg

I have a couple of questions about it.

1.  It does not have a bill validator installed installed in it & I was thinking that I could install one, however it does not have a hole cut out to physically install one. Is it possible to install one & if so how hard is it since it does not have a slot?

2.  They don't have a key, however the lock says PAA14 on it so I am working on getting a PAA14 key from one of the local Pepsi repair tech's. If they don't have one then where is the best place to get one?

The only place to get a PAA14 key is from Pepsi.  If the machine us an old one from your Pepsi distributor then, even if they don't use that key anymore, there will still be a key somewhere at Pepsi.  You can add a validator to the door by cutting a hole and drilling 4 mounting holes for the bracket that must be attached from the outside to mount the validator.  You can use a sabre saw or a cut off wheel to make the hole.  Then you can install a Coinco Mag50B with a T-blocker harness to your coin mech, which must have a pigtail for the credit line from the validator.  If the coin mech doesn't have a pigtail then you will have to replace it, too.  

I have the parts for this if you need them.  The bracket will come with a template for cutting the hole.

Just make sure you verify ownership of the machine.  If the machine was left in place by Pepsi or another vendor, you don't want to "steal" their machine whether it appears to be abandoned or not.  I have one account that has a Pepsi machine sitting there that is a good, working machine.  The business owner doesn't know who's it is, it has a Pepsi ID tag on it but I couldn't get them to return my calls to verify if it's theirs or not.  I would buy it from the business owner if I could verify that it's not owned by Pepsi.   

I think I stumbled on to the perfect machine for this location that I can place indoors because it is pretty small

When took my daughter to girl scouts last night & they had this Dixie Narco 276 there that was unplugged.  I asked them about it & they told me that it had not been working for some time.  I asked them what was wrong with it & they said they did not know, so I plugged it in & it powered on & I could hear the compressor kick on. They said that people kept plugging it in & putting money in then complaining that it did not work. :huh:

gallery_6992_163_662626.jpg

I asked them if they had a key so I could take a look at it & they looked around but could not find one so they wanted to get rid of it.  They told me that I could have it because they wanted to put cabinets in its spot :huh:, so  I am going to pick it up tonight after I pull the snack machine that was vandalized at one of my other locations.

gallery_6992_163_668546.jpg

I have a couple of questions about it.

1.  It does not have a bill validator installed installed in it & I was thinking that I could install one, however it does not have a hole cut out to physically install one. Is it possible to install one & if so how hard is it since it does not have a slot?

2.  They don't have a key, however the lock says PAA14 on it so I am working on getting a PAA14 key from one of the local Pepsi repair tech's. If they don't have one then where is the best place to get one?

Make sure Pepsi still doesn't own this machine - I'm sure they'd give you a good deal on it as they haven't used this model in years. Those 276's are great for the small footprint (hard to find when you need one) - too bad this one isn't the E model (multipriced).  One of the repair techs might know of a way to upgrade it to the E model.  

If your Pepsi bottler still owns that old booger of a machine, then you have one unusual bottler in your town.  Our bottler here would have sold that off 15+ years ago.  I'm sure they don't own it so once the guy gets it open for you it should be all yours.

If your Pepsi bottler still owns that old booger of a machine, then you have one unusual bottler in your town. Our bottler here would have sold that off 15+ years ago. I'm sure they don't own it so once the guy gets it open for you it should be all yours.

Do the bottlers write off assets after a period of time? I've got an account where a coke branded machine has been sitting, unused, for three years. The location called coke numerous times a couple of years ago, yet they never picked it up. Abandoned machinery has to come off their books at some point, right? I don't want the machine (79" beast), I'm just curious.

Do the bottlers write off assets after a period of time? I've got an account where a coke branded machine has been sitting, unused, for three years. The location called coke numerous times a couple of years ago, yet they never picked it up. Abandoned machinery has to come off their books at some point, right? I don't want the machine (79" beast), I'm just curious.

Around here they write them off (depreciate them) over five years but don't necessarily take them out of service.  Lately they've been refurbishing a lot of the big stackers and installing them in place of the glassfronts - leads me to believe that the bottlers have finally had it with the small, harder to load and repair, glassfront machines.

Sounds like one of those big Royals you've got there.  Great machines for high volume accounts or the once a month, fill them and forget them, soda only accounts.

Around here they write them off (depreciate them) over five years but don't necessarily take them out of service. Lately they've been refurbishing a lot of the big stackers and installing them in place of the glassfronts - leads me to believe that the bottlers have finally had it with the small, harder to load and repair, glassfront machines.

Sounds like one of those big Royals you've got there. Great machines for high volume accounts or the once a month, fill them and forget them, soda only accounts.

Are you suggesting I make it mine?

Are you suggesting I make it mine?

I would attempt to buy it from whoever owns it.  I like those machines and I'm sure they'd give you a good deal on it since they're obviously not using it and you'd save them the expense of moving it.  I've found a couple of machines like this and the bottlers have been very reasonable about selling this type of equipment since they thought it was "lost".  I have a sales receipt for every machine I own but abandoned equipment can be tricky.  I you can't find the owner then just let it sit there - kind of frustrating but that's all you can do.

• 4 weeks later...

So the location found the key.  I am now the proud owner of a PAA14 key & lock with a key chain that looks like a Samoa.

gallery_6992_163_592114.jpg

I took the machine home & opened it up.  There were 2 Mountain dews in it dated from 2009.  So it appears that the machine hasn't been working for about 5 or so years.

It needs a coin chute because the existing one is dry rotted.

gallery_6992_163_558028.jpg

All the motors work except for #4.  The motor spins but the cam never turns so it appears that I will need a single column motor.

gallery_6992_163_93708.jpg

Coins pass right through coin mech dated  from 1984  so it looks like I am going to need one of those too.  Luckily the guy I bought the Royal 552 off of said that he would give me one so I am gonna take him up on his offer.  If I am correct I should be able to replace this one with a Mars TRC-6800H?

gallery_6992_163_127145.jpg

I would also like to add a bill validator but need know what wiring harness / mount I will need to install a Conico BA30B or a MEI VN2000 series validator?

• 1 month later...

I also ordered a replacement TRC-6800H

gallery_6992_163_291076.jpg

off of Ebay

gallery_6992_163_572865.jpg

for 43$ including shipping, to replace the Coinco mech from 1984

gallery_6992_163_117548.jpg

I used some modified vice grips to hold down the sold out paddles so that I could test each column.

gallery_6992_163_928773.jpg

The machine now takes coins & all the motors work. 

So now on to the next issue. . . .  Which is that the machine does not get cold.  I can hear the compressor turn on & I left it on overnight but it & it did not get cold or freeze up so I am suspecting that it may just need freeon?.  How do I determine if it just needs freeon or what do I need to do make the machine get cold?

If you can feel the compressor and it is hot and vibrates like it's running, and the condenser fan is running too, you will probably need to recharge the compressor.  It is possible for a unit to have so little gas left in it that there won't be any physical sign of being low on freon, so if the first qualifications I mentioned are correct, your first thing to do is try getting it recharged.  By doing that you will have a better idea of whether is really cools or might have another problem, like a large gas leak or bad valves in the compressor.

Archived