Vending Machine Help

Greek

Hello guys! I am new to the business of vending. I have already bought and read through "The Truth About Vending" and I have been lurking through the forums for a while now. I just finally made an account so I could post what you guys think about this vending machine and if you think it is worth getting: http://victoriatx.craigslist.org/for/4090664247.html

I am planning on following everyone's advice on starting out small, just so I can test the waters and see what it feels like. Do you think this machine is a good start? Or should I keep looking?

I also wanted some advice on what people use to move these huge machines. I saw one on eBay which looked interesting, but the shipping to my place was over $500! Machine and shipping would have costed me over $1400 which is quite a bit just starting out. So say I buy this machine (It is located about 100 miles from where I live). Would I need a forklift or some type of special machine to get these things moving? What is the best technique to move it around town?

Thanks for the help everyone!

JJ

In my opinion that machine is just too old it was made before 1980.

A 35 year old machine you will not find any new parts and only a few used parts.

It is unlikely to have the factory coin system. Is that an old Rowe bill acceptor?

It is a 5 shelf machine.

8 chips and no pastries is not enough.

I think you should look for an AP 6000 or 7000 even if you need to raise your budget.

Walta

Do a search on vending dolly.

you will find all the information there.

mike

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. How much should I pay for one of these? It looks like some run anywhere from 300 - 3000 dollars. 

In my opinion that machine is just too old it was made before 1980.

A 35 year old machine you will not find any new parts and only a few used parts.

It is unlikely to have the factory coin system. Is that an old Rowe bill acceptor?

It is a 5 shelf machine.

8 chips and no pastries is not enough.

I think you should look for an AP 6000 or 7000 even if you need to raise your budget.

Walta

This helps me out a lot. Thanks! I will keep looking. I have a $1000 budget which I will feel comfortable spending. Any more, and I may start feeling a bit uneasy. 

I believe it is a AP 430........ Very old 30 yrs or more....... I don't see a bill validator or a electronic display. That means the coin mech is either a 10 price or a multi price. Either case these coin mechs are old and not dependable. Very expensive to replace if you could find one.

In my opinion this would be a headache to purchase. It has 110v motors that get gummed up and won't rotate. Customer has to hold selection switch until the coil starts to turn if it ever will. 1 Motor jams and shuts down the entire machine.

I would keep looking

Awesome! Thanks for the tip. How much should I pay for one of these? It looks like some run anywhere from 300 - 3000 dollars. 

This helps me out a lot. Thanks! I will keep looking. I have a $1000 budget which I will feel comfortable spending. Any more, and I may start feeling a bit uneasy. 

remember on that 1000 budget, you will still need to purchase product to stock it with.  Also just having 1 snack machine out, you will have some stales, which will cause your COGS to go up.

Personally I would start with a soda machine and slowly work your way into the snack machines.

remember on that 1000 budget, you will still need to purchase product to stock it with.  Also just having 1 snack machine out, you will have some stales, which will cause your COGS to go up.

Personally I would start with a soda machine and slowly work your way into the snack machines.

I think amc-vending has it right, start off with a single price cold drink machine, learn the in and out of it before you move on to a multi-price machine that takes bottles. The expiration on cans is much longer than bottles and your typical chips and such. You will not lose on cans like you would on a single snack machine. Also do not take just any old location, make sure there is enough people to place a cold drink machine. In your part of Texas, look for pipe yards, machine shops, anywhere out in the sun and hot! I promise you the machine will be used! As for buying the product (cans) CVS, Walgreens, Super One, and place you can load up on 12 pack or larger packs, Walmart has the 20 pack cases for $5.00 a case before taxes, this where you can make money. Not a lot because of the one machine, but it is a start.

mike

Yup start with a single price soda or one located. You don't need to buy that expensive of a dolly theres one for like 250 I think it was called northern but as ling as it has the kick out wheels u should be fine. Stay away from old machines... Welcome

I believe it is a AP 430........ Very old 30 yrs or more....... I don't see a bill validator or a electronic display. That means the coin mech is either a 10 price or a multi price. Either case these coin mechs are old and not dependable. Very expensive to replace if you could find one.

In my opinion this would be a headache to purchase. It has 110v motors that get gummed up and won't rotate. Customer has to hold selection switch until the coil starts to turn if it ever will. 1 Motor jams and shuts down the entire machine.

I would keep looking

Thank you so much for sharing your wise experience. This is something I would have never known. I will for sure keep looking! :)

I think amc-vending has it right, start off with a single price cold drink machine, learn the in and out of it before you move on to a multi-price machine that takes bottles. The expiration on cans is much longer than bottles and your typical chips and such. You will not lose on cans like you would on a single snack machine. Also do not take just any old location, make sure there is enough people to place a cold drink machine. In your part of Texas, look for pipe yards, machine shops, anywhere out in the sun and hot! I promise you the machine will be used! As for buying the product (cans) CVS, Walgreens, Super One, and place you can load up on 12 pack or larger packs, Walmart has the 20 pack cases for $5.00 a case before taxes, this where you can make money. Not a lot because of the one machine, but it is a start.

mike

Yup start with a single price soda or one located. You don't need to buy that expensive of a dolly theres one for like 250 I think it was called northern but as ling as it has the kick out wheels u should be fine. Stay away from old machines... Welcome

Well if 3 people are already telling me to stick with soda starting out, then that is what I will do. Texas is super hot, so it would make sense that customers in hot places want a cool refreshing drink. Seriously, thank you everyone. 

What is the price range I should be looking at for purchasing one of these machines? There is a website called megavending and they were selling some different Dixie Narco for $1200 refurbished including shipping. Here is the website with all of the options: http://www.megavending.com/refurbished-drink-vending-machines-s/1835.htm Is this a good deal in your opinion? I am keeping my eyes opened for some vending machines in my area, so if it takes me a couple of months before I will acquire a machine, then I will stay patient. 

Well if 3 people are already telling me to stick with soda starting out, then that is what I will do. Texas is super hot, so it would make sense that customers in hot places want a cool refreshing drink. Seriously, thank you everyone. 

What is the price range I should be looking at for purchasing one of these machines? There is a website called megavending and they were selling some different Dixie Narco for $1200 refurbished including shipping. Here is the website with all of the options: http://www.megavending.com/refurbished-drink-vending-machines-s/1835.htm Is this a good deal in your opinion? I am keeping my eyes opened for some vending machines in my area, so if it takes me a couple of months before I will acquire a machine, then I will stay patient. 

Greek

If you live close to Houston, this is where you should buy look first, craigslist is you best bet, look for the largest can machine 600 cans or more, it will be large and 700 pounds plus, don't buy a small machine under 500 cans, you will be making a lot of trips just to refill the smaller machines, if you buy a refubish machine it will cost more and should have some kind of warranty, at least 90 days. take your time and scan the adds you will find Vendo, Dixie Narco, Royals, no combos machines. Put up adds you find on here and some body will chip in and let you know if it is a good machine or a good buy. try to lean how to fix your own machines just for the simply reason of saving yourself money! $$$

mike

Greek

If you live close to Houston, this is where you should buy look first, craigslist is you best bet, look for the largest can machine 600 cans or more, it will be large and 700 pounds plus, don't buy a small machine under 500 cans, you will be making a lot of trips just to refill the smaller machines, if you buy a refubish machine it will cost more and should have some kind of warranty, at least 90 days. take your time and scan the adds you will find Vendo, Dixie Narco, Royals, no combos machines. Put up adds you find on here and some body will chip in and let you know if it is a good machine or a good buy. try to lean how to fix your own machines just for the simply reason of saving yourself money! $$$

mike

I disagree with getting a machine that holds 600 cans or more.  Getting a huge machine like that will take up a TON of space and won't fit everywhere.  The operator will be tempted to stock the machine full and if you put a machine that holds 600+ cans into one location that grosses $50/week, it could take you well over a month before you would need to restock it, and much of your product could expire quickly if you have overstocked the machine.  You will end up keeping many of the selections stocked very low and a few selections stocked very full.  You will end up realizing that you could have bought a smaller machine and it would have worked out much better.

On the other hand, if you have a location that is big enough to sell out a huge soda machine, you might as well invest into something more expensive and buy a snack machine too.

Greek,

We normally won't consider placing a snack machine without a soda machine to go with it - soda machines tend to make the most money while snack machines take the most effort.  Starting with a good soda machine will be your easiest entry - a good single priced machine should run about $400, but I would recommend getting the biggest multipriced machine you can find for under $800.  This one will give you more options and you won't need to fill it so often.

600 are hard to move indoors. 79" tall most door openings are under 80". If it is a bubble front it will have to be twisted through. They are only good for outside or in a warehouse. Vendo 576 is the perfect vendor. Narrow 8 selections. 576 cans.....

Save a few bucks also by not going out and buying a dolly already.  If you're in an urban area, you probably have some tool rental places around.  Rent the dolly for $25-50 for a few hours to make the move.  If you're only looking at one machine starting, you'll have one rental fee.  Save the purchase for when you get bigger.  Just look for the kickout wheels.  I had to search around to find the one rental store in our area that has one.

Save a few bucks also by not going out and buying a dolly already.  If you're in an urban area, you probably have some tool rental places around.  Rent the dolly for $25-50 for a few hours to make the move.  If you're only looking at one machine starting, you'll have one rental fee.  Save the purchase for when you get bigger.  Just look for the kickout wheels.  I had to search around to find the one rental store in our area that has one.

LOL After doing a couple you will be happy to pay someone 100 bucks to do it for you......... ;D

LOL After doing a couple you will be happy to pay someone 100 bucks to do it for you......... ;D

Nobody here in south Louisiana moves machines! I went out and bought my own Duroto dolly to move my own machines. Already had utility trailer and truck, bought some aluminum ramps and i was in business.  

;D  ;D  ;D

Greek, being new to the business you would be well-served to find a vending machine mover in your area to do any needed moves. You will not believe how difficult a job it is if you don't have the proper tools and experience. The last thing you need is to hurt yourself or have a machine fall. You would be endangering yourself and others if you don't know what you're doing. Focus on learning the business side first and use someone with expertise to move your machines.

Greek, being new to the business you would be well-served to find a vending machine mover in your area to do any needed moves. You will not believe how difficult a job it is if you don't have the proper tools and experience. The last thing you need is to hurt yourself or have a machine fall. You would be endangering yourself and others if you don't know what you're doing. Focus on learning the business side first and use someone with expertise to move your machines.

I rather pay a professional mover 70.00 to move and setup up my machine then me do it.

he has all the right equipment and saves me time.

Now grant you, once I buy a machine and put it on location, I want to leave it for a long time ;D

I pay a mover.  It makes me feel a LOT better knowing that 2 guys are going to fix it up without anyone getting hurt.  It cost more than if I did it myself, but I have done it myself and it's worth the money to pay someone to do it for you.

Even better, if you buy good machines from a distributor and get them to deliver cheap/free of charge.  They usually install the equipment and put some money through the machine(s) to make sure everything is working properly.  That way, if something isn't working, you can have them fix it up quickly and avoid a REALLY bad reputation for installing "junk that doesn't work" because a harness got disconnected during transportation.

Make that 4 ^_^

First impressions.......... When I pull up with my equipment the customer is in awe.......... I am insured...... I go in and inspect the route to where the vendor is going taking a tape measure checking door openings things hanging on the walls etc. If I have to twist a vendor in I know before getting there if I am going door first or cabinet. I clear the path. Make note of flooring. Is it tile, wood or concret. I take special care if it is tile. I look for cracks that may already be there. Even take pictures if need be. If the tile has been laid with cheap glue and has an air gap rolling across it can break it. Does the door jams have fancy oak wood jams etc. I am insured so if I break something my insurance will pay. I have seen people do it themselves and end up with a $800 dollar repair. Customers are easy to get along with until you break something.

Sometimes it is a trade out and product has to be switched. I help making sure it all fits. I help them load it and make sure shims are in place. I very seldom are gone before the Vendor, I hate like hell to get 30 miles away and get that call it isn't vending because I feel obligated to fix it for free because I missed something.

Nothing like busting your golpher to get a vendor in and then have to load it. $100 is well spent with the right mover. 

Roger, we must be twins.  Everything you do is what I also do.  With the exception of: if there's carpet I might curse a little under my breath because of the extra effort needed to roll over carpet. B)

Roger, we must be twins. Everything you do is what I also do. With the exception of: if there's carpet I might curse a little under my breath because of the extra effort needed to roll over carpet. B)

I thought I was the only one that did that, thanks to TVF I now know that I am not alone.... Lol

First impressions.......... When I pull up with my equipment the customer is in awe.......... I am insured...... I go in and inspect the route to where the vendor is going taking a tape measure checking door openings things hanging on the walls etc. If I have to twist a vendor in I know before getting there if I am going door first or cabinet. I clear the path. Make note of flooring. Is it tile, wood or concret. I take special care if it is tile. I look for cracks that may already be there. Even take pictures if need be. If the tile has been laid with cheap glue and has an air gap rolling across it can break it. Does the door jams have fancy oak wood jams etc. I am insured so if I break something my insurance will pay. I have seen people do it themselves and end up with a $800 dollar repair. Customers are easy to get along with until you break something.

Sometimes it is a trade out and product has to be switched. I help making sure it all fits. I help them load it and make sure shims are in place. I very seldom are gone before the Vendor, I hate like hell to get 30 miles away and get that call it isn't vending because I feel obligated to fix it for free because I missed something.

Nothing like busting your golpher to get a vendor in and then have to load it. $100 is well spent with the right mover. 

And this is why I pay people to move my machines!

Archived