Are you guys working out of your house?

chad

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TKK, there is nothing wrong with the way you are doing it. I'm glad it works for you. I would love to just load a van for the week and forget it, but I'm an extreme cheapskate, I can't help but cut corners everywhere I can. All my accounts are so slow and small, no one else will touch them. I service locations with 12 people, 6 at the least. I have very few big accounts and that's okay with me. The way I see it, if I loose 1 or 2 small accounts I can easily replace them and not even feel it. If I loose 1 or 2 big accounts, I will be crying like a baby and may even run into financial difficulty.

I used to service a large manufacturer with 400 employees. It was my bread and butter. I put all new machines in and serviced it 3 times a week. Every morning when I showed up at 6am, all the machines would be empty. I would just pitch product at them like you wouldn't believe. I pulled giant wads of cash out every time. Life was good. I even had time for another full time job. Then one day they decide to move to North Carolina. They said don't worry about it, it will take us a year to move out of here. Six months later they were gone and the gates locked. Poof! 2006/2007 sucked 1/2 my big accounts away. So I did what I had to and put machines anywhere I could get one in. Then a strange thing happened. All my equipment was out on location and my income was right back where it was, even a little better.

good post Allen, that goes to show you that you don't absolutely need all of your accounts to be $150++ per week to make this business work. Some have argued that you must follow that pattern or it will never work, your living proof to the contrary even though those strong accounts do help (at least for me).

Definitely out of my house.  Still working at getting locations so I only have a total of 4 locations and 8 machines.  I was given one of those old long vans and I just buy for the week and keep the supplies in there.  I would love to make it to a point where I need to have a warehouse, however right now I have more than enough room.

Definitely out of my house.  Still working at getting locations so I only have a total of 4 locations and 8 machines.  I was given one of those old long vans and I just buy for the week and keep the supplies in there.  I would love to make it to a point where I need to have a warehouse, however right now I have more than enough room.

Just remember to avoid those 6 to 12 man accounts.  Allen can buy 5 houses where he lives, with swimming pools for what you and I would pay for one with grass in the yard.  Where Allen lives you'd need 5 swimming pools  ;D

It was not that long ago that you had zero accounts, just keep chipping away at the rock.

Moondog, you are probably right. The newest/nicest house on the block just sold for $28,000, about the price of a new car. That was only a 3 bedroom house of about 1200 square feet. Monthly mortgage for a 15 year loan, $300.00. The population here in Barstow is about 25,000. The nearest town is Victorville with about 75,000 and 35 miles away. Big accounts are far and few between and so are good paying jobs. 50% of the employable population here is on welfare. In order to stay in business, I have to save every nickel I can. This is the down-side of a small town in the middle of the desert. The up-side is houses are cheap, there is no traffic and.......um......I'm sure there are some other good points, I just can't think of them right now. lol.

Just remember to avoid those 6 to 12 man accounts.  Allen can buy 5 houses where he lives, with swimming pools for what you and I would pay for one with grass in the yard.  Where Allen lives you'd need 5 swimming pools  ;D

Very true Moondog.  So far my worst account is a goodyear tire center that I service once a month.  I put in a Royal 804 and I come collect my $150-$200/month and fill it up.  I have two accounts that meet the $150/week threshold and one that is definitely over that threshold.  I definitely need to get a couple larger accounts or a few other accounts that meet that $150/week threshold to be able to do this full time.

It was not that long ago that you had zero accounts, just keep chipping away at the rock.

Mission, I am chipping away a little bit at a time.  I am debt free on all my machines which is nice, so right now I am trying to use my earning after taxes, cogs and gas to get more machines to be ready for all those accounts   :rolleyes:.  Other than that I spend most of my free time cold calling which has netted me a grand total of 0 accounts and stopping by locations to see if they need vending.  It is not easy but most things worth doing never are.  

Moondog, you are probably right. The newest/nicest house on the block just sold for $28,000, about the price of a new car. That was only a 3 bedroom house of about 1200 square feet. Monthly mortgage for a 15 year loan, $300.00. The population here in Barstow is about 25,000. The nearest town is Victorville with about 75,000 and 35 miles away. Big accounts are far and few between and so are good paying jobs. 50% of the employable population here is on welfare. In order to stay in business, I have to save every nickel I can. This is the down-side of a small town in the middle of the desert. The up-side is houses are cheap, there is no traffic and.......um......I'm sure there are some other good points, I just can't think of them right now. lol.

When I was in stationed in New Mexico I used to drive through Barstow and think to myself there are worse places than Albuquerque.  Seriously though I could think of worse things than having a house for $28,000, I could buy a mobile home for that much down here in San Dimas for that much... Maybe..

Very true Moondog.  So far my worst account is a goodyear tire center that I service once a month.  I put in a Royal 804 and I come collect my $150-$200/month and fill it up.  I have two accounts that meet the $150/week threshold and one that is definitely over that threshold.  I definitely need to get a couple larger accounts or a few other accounts that meet that $150/week threshold to be able to do this full time.

Mission, I am chipping away a little bit at a time.  I am debt free on all my machines which is nice, so right now I am trying to use my earning after taxes, cogs and gas to get more machines to be ready for all those accounts   :rolleyes:.  Other than that I spend most of my free time cold calling which has netted me a grand total of 0 accounts and stopping by locations to see if they need vending.  It is not easy but most things worth doing never are.  

When I was in stationed in New Mexico I used to drive through Barstow and think to myself there are worse places than Albuquerque.  Seriously though I could think of worse things than having a house for $28,000, I could buy a mobile home for that much down here in San Dimas for that much... Maybe..

I bought my house for $28,000 lol.  The average value of homes in my neighborhood is about $75,000 right now, and my house will be worth around that price once I get it all fixed up.  Definitely a fixer-upper!  And no, you pretty much can't get a home around here for $28,000.  I just took advantage of the housing bubble explosion back in 2008.

Better make that about twenty houses with pools.

................. you forgot the Rattlesnake Chili and deep fried Scorpions in your up-sides plus you don't need to spend any money in tanning salons  ;D

Is it really true that the first guy to settle in Barstow only stopped because the wheel finally fell off his wagon?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Better make that about twenty houses with pools.

................. you forgot the Rattlesnake Chili and deep fried Scorpions in your up-sides plus you don't need to spend any money in tanning salons  ;D

Is it really true that the first guy to settle in Barstow only stopped because the wheel finally fell off his wagon?  ;D  ;D  ;D

I just had to laugh about that last statement.  

There are times when I miss my box van. I think it's a California thing with all the fees and extra insurance. It's like they think just because you have a box van you must be making money. They (highway patrol, commercial division) put me in a category that included anyone that hired out to haul other peoples stuff like moving and trucking companies. There is a "stated weight" that I actually hauled and then there is the "gross weight" that the truck can legally haul. My stated weight was way lower and that is what I based my registration off of. When I got pulled over, the cop couldn't understand the difference (it's clearly in the code) and cited me anyway. Here, if the cop is wrong you can't just say the cop was wrong. You can only ask the officer questions. Either way it was a $75.00 B.S. ticket that was the final straw for me.

Guess im lucky. Full cover commercial is only 47 a month for mine and theres jo fees except state inspection which is 26 a year. Its averaging about 18mpg

Awesome TKK. Texas and Arizona are awesome. Arizona lets people drive their dunebuggies and Polaris' on the street. How cool is that?

You are right about the Texas part, don't about Arizona but I hear good things. Calif on the other hand .....

Archived