Dixie-Narco Takes $$ But Won't Vend

Brent

Good morning all,

This morning I filled slot two on my machine.  I put money in, it gave me change, but would not vend from slot two.  I heard the vend motor trying to run, and it sounded like it was jammed.  I figured the fastest way to shut the motor down so it would burn up was to unplug the machine.  I unplugged it and unloaded the slot, reloaded with only twelve cans and cycled the cam with the switch next to the vend motor.  Everything worked as normal, so I loaded up the slot.  I wanted to double check it, so I closed up the machine and stuck in a dollar.  It gave me change but would not vend a selection from any slot.  All the vend motors work when I hit the switch mounted on the side of the motor.  It accepts change or dollars, just wont vend.  It's like a fuse or circuit breaker has tripped.  Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

This is obviously a single price DN machine, but it's always helpful if you can give us the full model number when you have a problem.  Don't worry about burning up a motor because they have a heat-related overload in their winding that will turn them off until they cool down again.  You can also turn your power off to the door and the motors by separating the round barrel plug in the lower left corner of your cabinet harness.   

Has the machine been working properly before this?  Why was the column empty prior to this?  I'm going to throw out a scenario here: Is the product you just put in column 2 holding down the sold out paddle when the cans are pushed against the rear spacer?  If not then adjust the rear spacer so you can only fit a finger between the depressed sold out paddle and the butt of the front can.  Now, is selection button 2 stuck in?  If not, can you press selection button 2 in and out and hear the switch actually click each way?  Is the motor 2 magnet hot to the touch?  If so, the column is still jammed or the motor gearbox is stuck and it has overheated.  When it does that it won't vend though it usually will cause the machine to reject all coins as well.  This stuck motor may have caused it to be left off the home position.  See the next paragraph.

Check all your motors to see if any are not in the home position.  The home position is when the small switch arm is resting in a notch of the motor cam and the long switch arm is sitting on the edge of the cam.  Every motor must be in the home position for it to work properly.  If all motors are in the home position then check all motor switch connectors to ensure they are installed tight onto the switches and look closely to see if any connector has missed the side terminal on any switch.  This is easy to miss when installing a connector. 

If all motors are home and switch connectors are properly installed and the machine still won't vend then you probably have a bad cluster switch on one of the motors.  Take an ohm meter and set it to the ohms scale.  Put one probe on the side terminal of the middle switch on the far left motor and the other probe on the same terminal of the far right motor to see if you have continuity through all the switches.  If you don't, leave the left probe where it is and move the right hand probe to the left, one motor at a time, to see when you get a compete circuit.  When you reach the switch that gives you complete circuit, go back and repeat the process to confirm that you again only get a complete circuit when you reach that switch.  Now you need to replace either the switch that gives you the first complete circuit or the switch to it's right.  Either one might be bad.

If you have continuity from the far left to the far right immediately, then go to your selection switches on your door and check that there is no wire that has come off of, or is loose on, any selection switch. 

Good morning all,

This morning I filled slot two on my machine.  I put money in, it gave me change, but would not vend from slot two.  I heard the vend motor trying to run, and it sounded like it was jammed.  I figured the fastest way to shut the motor down so it would burn up was to unplug the machine.  I unplugged it and unloaded the slot, reloaded with only twelve cans and cycled the cam with the switch next to the vend motor.  Everything worked as normal, so I loaded up the slot.  I wanted to double check it, so I closed up the machine and stuck in a dollar.  It gave me change but would not vend a selection from any slot.  All the vend motors work when I hit the switch mounted on the side of the motor.  It accepts change or dollars, just wont vend.  It's like a fuse or circuit breaker has tripped.  Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for any responses.

The first thing I always check in situations like this are the cable connections - it sounds like your board is not reading your validator or coin mech.  Unplug the machine and replug each cable connection, particularly the one leading from the board to the motor array.  If this doesn't work I would suspect a bad board since you've checked all the motors and can do a manual vend.

Check back spacer to make sure the soldout paddles are depressed. If the soldout lights come on when trying to make a vend but nothing happens then the paddle isn't depressed enough....   You can also put the motor switches in the notch (all of them) drop in the change and when the credit relay sets the selection will vend.

Check to make sure you have all the plugs on the switches. The red one could be off and it will accept money but won't vend.... 

Hey everyone, thank you for your responses.  In response to AZVendor's question, the machine is a Dixie-Narco DNCB 501 T / 280-8. I work for a small trucking company and I'm trying to start a side business as a race photographer, so free time seems to slip through my hands too fast.  I forgot to check the level in the machine and it ran out.  It seemed to be operating just fine the previous day, and nobody reported a problem (like not getting their selection).  I just checked it this morning to see if the machine had magically fixed itself or the repair gnomes came in to fix it, but no luck.  I stuck in a dollar, pressed a selection, absolutely nothing happened, but now it won't take dollars again unless I unplug the machine.  I did try unplugging and re-plugging various connections.  There was a cord in the machine labeled "free vend" which I up-plugged the change counter and plugged in the free vend cord, with no new results.  I think I have the cams all oriented correctly, but don't really have a solid reference to be sure this is correct.  

Again, thank you all for trying to help me out.

Brent 

If it's a single price, the easiest thing to do is to try replacing the coin mech and the credit relay (am I wrong on the credit relay?).  This should eliminate a coin mech/relay problem.  It really sounds to me as though you have a wiring problem but something should happen on those machines.  They generally don't take your money and NOT vend something.  They will jam up and stop working if something doesn't cycle properly.

It sounds like everything within the coin mech/validator is working okay but it still sounds like there is a jam.  Everytime you unplug the machine, the machine may sort of reset itself, then you make a vend and it jams up again.  Maybe try disconnecting one motor at a time (turn the machine off first) and see if you can find ONE motor that is causing all of your problems?  Maybe more motors even.  You have to do it one at a time.

I'm pretty sure you have a motor switch problem.  Because it accepts money up to the vend price and then sits waiting for a vend means everything is working up to the point of a motor actually turning.  Until a motor starts the credit stored in the relay won't be erased so that more money can be inserted.  Killing power to the vend circuit is the only thing that erases the credits right now.  You can't disconnect a motor with any different results because disconnecting a motor power wire won't let the motor run even if it could, and disconnecting a motor switch will kill the vend circuit.

Since I'm sure you don't have any parts to throw at this you should call a vending repair tech to fix this.  The problem is in one of your motor switches, the door circuit or possibly a bad harness connection in the bottom of your door, but my money is on a motor switch. 

If you need parts for this just send me a PM.

Edited by AZVendor

Put the first motor switches in the notch... Insert money and that column will vend without pressing the selection switch... Go to the second motor put switches in the notch. Insert money and the that motor will run. Do this till the a motor doesn't run. The one that won't run has the bad switches or the next one. If all the motors run then your problem is  in the selection panel. Your credit relay is ok if it vends...

• 3 years later...

Hello.  I recently bought a Dixie Narco 160 or 180 ( model tag missing, but based on size of cabinet, I think it's correct model) date code on inside circa 1985..compressor works like a champ. 

didnt have a coin mech, so wired the jumper with a momentary switch on the jones plug--that worked like the videos show.  Loaded the unit. All 'empty' indicator lights went out. 'Use correct change' light was on, push button and went off. Relay in door buzzes a bit. Manually set the motors to home.  Push the vend button on door, and: nothing.   Checked continuity on motors as described above and have full continuity

There is one vend switch missing in the door, and one empty light missing. So plugs to those are disconnected. 

Checked wiring diagram..  found some ground wires broken between the interior doors and replaced them.  All other connections appear fine and no others broken. 

Question: do I need the missing switch and empty light indicator to complete the circuit for the other buttons to work?

Thanks for the help!

• 3 years later...

AZVendor:  thank you for that great troubleshooting scenario.  For rookies like me it was easy to understand.  My D/N368 had the same problem.  All of a sudden would take coin, but wouldn't vend.  I tried the Ohm meter and didn't have any continuity between any of the motors, so I checked again and the #2 motor wasn't completely "homed".  I cycled it and now everything works fine.  I think I'll order a back up motor in case this happens again.  I'm sure it will be cheaper than the service call you just saved me.  Thanks again!!