Thoughts on Vending Dolly

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That won't do the job unless you're only moving appliances or video games. Vending machines will eat that dolly for lunch and then you for dinner. The best dolly for vending is the Dutro 72" Brute or 79" Brawney Brute dollies with real kick out wheels. You can get them with wrap around straps or a over-the-top hook and strap (which I use and recommend). Don't use the Stevens dollies either.

Listen to AZ!

I tried use the same thing you looking into, not worth it!

Buy a good quality dolly. It will pay itself back, unless there is people who move machines where your located.

Nobody in my area!

cajun

I'm not sure what brand we have but we found our used heavy duty steel dolly and only paid $250 but it is amazing.  It weighs 120 pounds and has 6 wheels on it so it can stand on it's own at a 45 degree angle.  The wheels can easily come off or repositioned as well.  We buy and sell machines every day and this has paid for itself 100x over.  I'd highly recommend a similar one with mulitple wheels. Good luck. 

get the better dolly, w/ bigger support wheels...  you dont want one of these machines falling on you because of a crack in the floor or concrete.... I  have seen the results of this happening to an experienced mover

• 2 weeks later...

I am about to pull the trigger on a Dutro vending dolly purchase. I have narrowed my selection down to the 1872 and 1878. Nearly identical except the 1878 is about 6inches taller and weighs a bit more. My question is whether the extra 6 inches of leverage is worth the added bulk? I think I would like the smaller one just because a 6'6" (versus a 6') unit seems unwieldy. On the other hand I don't want to be in the scenario where I wished that I had another little bit of leverage.

Has anyone tried both sizes and does that extra bit of bulk buy you much?

I plan to use the unit to move machines once in a while, not as a full time machine moving gig.

Insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kenneth

I used to have one of each size and had an opportunity to sell the tall one to a customer.  I now wish I hadn't done that because the taller one gave me more leverage to pull a machine over with.  Just the extra few inches that I could grab higher with made a huge difference in the ease of pulling one over.  I'd recommend you get the taller one and one with the hook that goes over the top of the machine, not the one with the two straps you have to wrap around the machine.

Don't forget that the shorter and lighter you are, the harder it will be to tilt machines.  It doesn't mean that you aren't strong.. it's just a leverage thing.  Getting a taller one like AZVendor mentioned can make things a lot easier, but I recommend hiring a mover if you can get one on a regular basis.

• 3 weeks later...

I looked into the Anderson dolly on the internet there are alot of distributers for this dolly but if you call Tom Anderson the inventor of it he will give you a very good deal. He has 2 different versions and one is specifically for vending machines -- it is fantastic and easy to use-- a brillant idea and makes it especially easy to move thru doorways. We used it on the giant bevmax and just yesturday we moved a pool table with it flipped on its side and thru 2 doorways   the anderson dolly is great  a bit pricey but very versatle and easy to use      I am not a distributor I am just a satisfied customer

I looked into the Anderson dolly on the internet there are alot of distributers for this dolly but if you call Tom Anderson the inventor of it he will give you a very good deal. He has 2 different versions and one is specifically for vending machines -- it is fantastic and easy to use-- a brillant idea and makes it especially easy to move thru doorways. We used it on the giant bevmax and just yesturday we moved a pool table with it flipped on its side and thru 2 doorways   the anderson dolly is great  a bit pricey but very versatle and easy to use      I am not a distributor I am just a satisfied customer

I bought one too.  The dolly has worked fantastic for moving soda machines.  It is so much better getting machines through doors because you are able to open the door and jack-knife the machine through.  Tom was great to work with.  My dolly welds were a little crooked and Tom sent me a new one no questions asked.  

I would recommend using the Anderson Dolly for soda machines.  Not only is it easier to use it is also much safer.  For snack machines, I use a Crown pallet jack 20".  For the two your looking at about $900.  

I have had a few instances where a soda machine was too tall to go through an archway or under a door and had to borrow a dolly.  I probably will eventually get one.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was looking at these dolly's as well. Are you guys using them to move the machine up and down a ramp into a box truck or are you renting/using a truck with a lift gate to transport the machine?

I was looking at these dolly's as well. Are you guys using them to move the machine up and down a ramp into a box truck or are you renting/using a truck with a lift gate to transport the machine?

Your best bet is to find a reasonably priced mover in your area.  I'm not saying that owning a Dutro wouldn't be handy on occasion (Wish I had one) but there are so many variables when it comes to moving machines that you could start a small route by the time you bought all this stuff, even if you are big enough to use it  Check out some of Roger Morris' old posts, he does this for a living and has all the best equipment.  If there are no good movers in your area, then a Dutro with a small drop lid trailer would be your best bet though I would add a wench or at least a "come-along" to it for pulling up the ramp.

Moondog is right!

Find somebody in your area to move machines for you.

Small used trailer with drop gate, $800 to $1000.

Proper Dutro dolly $600 to $800.

This is a general idea of what it cost to get yourself set up to move snack or cold drink machine.

Not including help you would need.

I move my own machines, because no one in my area does it.

5' x 10' tilt trailer new $1100.

2,000 Warn winch $100

Large lawn mower battery to run winch $85

Dutro dolly $700

not including straps to tie down machines and my time.

cajun

Your best bet is to find a reasonably priced mover in your area.  I'm not saying that owning a Dutro wouldn't be handy on occasion (Wish I had one) but there are so many variables when it comes to moving machines that you could start a small route by the time you bought all this stuff, even if you are big enough to use it  Check out some of Roger Morris' old posts, he does this for a living and has all the best equipment.  If there are no good movers in your area, then a Dutro with a small drop lid trailer would be your best bet though I would add a wench or at least a "come-along" to it for pulling up the ramp.

Or... you could just do what I did & marry into a family of GIANTS  ;D  Although sometime after shouting the BIL lunch (as payment) I think it would be a hell of a lot cheaper just to pay a mover!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Or... you could just do what I did & marry into a family of GIANTS  ;D  Although sometime after shouting the BIL lunch (as payment) I think it would be a hell of a lot cheaper just to pay a mover!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I thought you guys just hefted the machines over your shoulders to lug them around  ;D  ;D  ;D

Cajun do you have pictures or videos of your trailer with winch setup while pulling up machine onto trailer?

Sorry J and T Vending.

I move machines by myself!

I've moved a Vendo 821, just recently by myself and had no problem doing it.

I can take pictures of my setup and let you see what I have.

I have a tilt trailer, but a reinforced drop gate type trailer will work just as good.

cajun

Cajun do you have pictures or videos of your trailer with winch setup while pulling up machine onto trailer?

The Cajun has pictures of everything (some of them can't be posted on this forum)  ;D  ;D  ;D  He's like the Ansel Adams of vending !!!

Cajun I was interested in seeing how the winch pulls the machine onto the trailer.

I load machine on dolly, roll it to back of trailer, attach a three foot sling to frame of dolly, attach both end of sling to hook of winch, with the ten foot power cable I slowly pull the dolly onto trailer, the trailer has a hydraulic ram on front so it don't slam down. It comes down slowly with weight on front of trailer.

With a tilt trailer, weight has to be past the axle toward the front or trailer will want to swerve side to side.

This is much easier than the way I used to move them when I first started!

Don't need my 300 pound brother to move machines anymore!

cajun

Archived