Card Readers

So I'm in the process of buying my first 5 card readers from USA Tech. So how many of you are using these and do you think they are worth it? I just don't like the idea of another company being all up in my business. Maybe it will be okay, so much for keeping a "low profile".

I have 24 readers currently, I've seen some accounts get a huge increase after adding a reader 100% increase on one warehouse and I also see some accounts stay around the same but either way the readers also alert you to any issues such as Bill validator and coinmech issues...I have been able to fix problems such as a jammed validator before the account calls me because of this...

Hi Allen (or anyone else),

Does USA Tech only have a five reader (or less) minimum commitment?

Do they or their hardware partners have any current or near future promotions on readers and/or service?

As others have said on here before, I would think that the positives of posting pricing prominently on these providers' websites would outweigh the negatives. I know they have their business reasons, though. Just more legwork for me!

LB

USA TECH does not have a minimum purchase, but they do offer the lease programs that do require a minimum 10 devices.  The lease program all you pay is the activation fee per device which is I think 30 dollars and they ship you 10 devices at a higher monthly rate for 60 months.

If you have the capital to buy them outright that is the way to go.

We are currently looking into NAYAX readers. Partners with InOne. They have a deal on until the end of June. I think it was connected with NAMA show. Lease 10 units for 5 hrs. No upfront cost for equipment, no activation fees, $12.95/month per unit. With the CC readers you also get remote monitoring for pre-kitting. You can also buy the units for $299 ea. and your monthly fee would only be $7.95. The $5/month for 60 months would be your $299 purchase price. Anyone have any experience with NAYAX?

We have some NAYAX cc readers. Have not had any issues with them yet. I think we pay $10/month each plus a small percentage 2-3% per swipe. We do charge a small surcharge to swipe to help offset the costs.

However I like the idea of knowing if something is wrong with the machine. I wonder if that is a feature exclusive to USA technology cc readers..?

Hi Allen (or anyone else),

Does USA Tech only have a five reader (or less) minimum commitment?

Do they or their hardware partners have any current or near future promotions on readers and/or service?

As others have said on here before, I would think that the positives of posting pricing prominently on these providers' websites would outweigh the negatives. I know they have their business reasons, though. Just more legwork for me!

LB

I didn't ask about promotions. I just needed 5 and ordered 5. The guy I talked to said I could just order one if that is all I needed.

If you want to limit the data sent to USAT just don't plug in the DEX harness. The CC function will work and your CC purchases will be tracked but your cash sales will not. 

The InOne/NAYAX has alerts built into the software. You set the parameters and it will notify you of any condition that meets your settings. (Days since service, cash limit in machine, no change to bill count, max number of sold outs, etc.) we are only using on snacks presently for pre-kitting. I am sure for drink machines and food machines t here are different options for alerts.

If you want to limit the data sent to USAT just don't plug in the DEX harness. The CC function will work and your CC purchases will be tracked but your cash sales will not. 

Thanks.

Thank you everyone for the imput. Still going thru the sign-up process with USAT.

Thanks.

Thank you everyone for the imput. Still going thru the sign-up process with USAT.

I figure those should work well for you what with everybody coming home from Lost Wages dead broke  ;D  ;D  ;D

I figure those should work well for you what with everybody coming home from Lost Wages dead broke  ;D  ;D  ;D

Definitely the case. I've only got a handful of machines that even have mdb.

We are currently looking into NAYAX readers. Partners with InOne. They have a deal on until the end of June. I think it was connected with NAMA show. Lease 10 units for 5 hrs. No upfront cost for equipment, no activation fees, $12.95/month per unit. With the CC readers you also get remote monitoring for pre-kitting. You can also buy the units for $299 ea. and your monthly fee would only be $7.95. The $5/month for 60 months would be your $299 purchase price. Anyone have any experience with NAYAX?

I have about 50 machines with Nayax monitoring, some with readers, some just with monitoring. I'm in Australia, and the technology originates from Israel, so definitely should work with non-US cards, although it may depend on your credit card gateway provider. The guy I bought the machines off swears by the Nayax monitoring. I am looking at swapping out the few machines I have that can't do Nayax with newer one so I have it for my whole fleet. I think it is worth it for the prekitting alone. Makes it heaps easier to know when to visit machines.

I have about 50 machines with Nayax monitoring, some with readers, some just with monitoring. I'm in Australia, and the technology originates from Israel, so definitely should work with non-US cards, although it may depend on your credit card gateway provider. The guy I bought the machines off swears by the Nayax monitoring. I am looking at swapping out the few machines I have that can't do Nayax with newer one so I have it for my whole fleet. I think it is worth it for the prekitting alone. Makes it heaps easier to know when to visit machines.

Your mention of Israel reminded me that Nayax is the company that bought InOne Technologies a few years back before selling InOne back to the original owner last year.  That's why the two companies are intertwined.

Be very careful about what frequency the card readers use. AT&T is currently in the process of phasing out their GSM1900 frequency. ( which many of the USAT card readers use ) They're supposed to be done by late 2016. I've been out in the field, furiously replacing G8s with units that use Verizon's signal.

We have some NAYAX cc readers. Have not had any issues with them yet. I think we pay $10/month each plus a small percentage 2-3% per swipe. We do charge a small surcharge to swipe to help offset the costs.

However I like the idea of knowing if something is wrong with the machine. I wonder if that is a feature exclusive to USA technology cc readers..?

no, many card readers offer the abilty to see problems via your computer, I know usa, inone and cantaloupe all do.

It's all dependent on what software features each supplier offers with their card readers.  It's a reporting function with their optional software so you'll usually pay extra for that feature.

Allen,

About 30-40% of my sales are credit card sales, you wont regret it I guarantee. 

I have two machines using USAT, the rest are all Crane's.  Both are good and offer different features, the big upside to USAT is you can see sales real time, Crane reports daily. 

Allen,

About 30-40% of my sales are credit card sales, you wont regret it I guarantee. 

I have two machines using USAT, the rest are all Crane's.  Both are good and offer different features, the big upside to USAT is you can see sales real time, Crane reports daily. 

Thanks for the encouragement.

They just arrived! 5 readers from USAT. I've got all weekend to get at least one of them up and running, lol.

• 1 month later...

The InOne/NAYAX has alerts built into the software. You set the parameters and it will notify you of any condition that meets your settings. (Days since service, cash limit in machine, no change to bill count, max number of sold outs, etc.) we are only using on snacks presently for pre-kitting. I am sure for drink machines and food machines t here are different options for alerts.

Hi mate... how are you finding the InOne telemetry software? Are you happy with it & are you only using it for telemetry or are you also using it Cashless Payments also?

I deal with InOne/Nayax    and also Crane Cashless.   InOne/Nayax has some cool features, but we have had all kinds of issues with hardware (card readers, arrow connect devices, harnesses, etc.).    Plus you have to mount their readers on to the machine, and often times getting tech support is difficult.      We have 30 devices from InOne/Nayax.

The Crane Cashless Mars 3-1 system allows you to attach the cashless device on to your Mars validator.    If you run Streamware's VendMax, it can import data from the readers.   We have 40 of these devices, and we have made the decision to purchase only Crane devices going forward. 

I deal with InOne/Nayax    and also Crane Cashless.   InOne/Nayax has some cool features, but we have had all kinds of issues with hardware (card readers, arrow connect devices, harnesses, etc.).    Plus you have to mount their readers on to the machine, and often times getting tech support is difficult.      We have 30 devices from InOne/Nayax.

Thanks... I appreciate your input on this subject. Would you be able to give me more details on the hardware issues you have experienced?

Which model card reader are you using... is it the VPOS?

I believe that there is another reader (VSR I think) which is compatible with the coinco/mei bill acceptors  

Thanks... I appreciate your input on this subject. Would you be able to give me more details on the hardware issues you have experienced?

Which model card reader are you using... is it the VPOS?

I believe that there is another reader (VSR I think) which is compatible with the coinco/mei bill acceptors  

We used the VSR.   I have had 4 of them completely lose the ability to read the magnetic stripe of a card.     To me this tells it all:

Machines with InOne/Nayax readers I have a mix of 82% Cash Sales, 18% Credit/Debit.   

Machines we have with Crane Cashless readers I have a mix of 74% Cash Sales, 26% Credit/Debit.     Swipe success rate appears to be much higher with the Crane platform, atleast it has been for us. 

Archived