Thinking of starting a vending machine moving business

Hey guys , I have an investor that's willing to in partners with me on a vending moving business. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this area . I have already gone on a. Run as a spotter . We will be looking for a vehicle and a specialized system with hydraulics to help us make the moves .

Can anyone here with experience give us any advice ?

I use a flatbed truck that has a large fold down lift gate. On the truck is a dutro dolly for soda machines, a pallet Jack for snack machines and a lift n roll for clam shelling machines thru doorways...I feel those 4 things are needed to make life easier and not kill yourself

No other vender will use you service if they see you a compedittor!

If you or your wife operate equipment the service will not fly

Walta

Hey guys , I have an investor that's willing to in partners with me on a vending moving business. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this area . I have already gone on a. Run as a spotter . We will be looking for a vehicle and a specialized system with hydraulics to help us make the moves .

The tuck away gates suck, it's real easy to dump a machine onto the tarmac if you use one.

Walta is correct!

If you have any type of vending machines, you will not get any work!

Insurance is a must!

Proper equipment to move machines.

Knowledge or experience to move machines.

I can go on, but you get the idea it is not easy or a big money maker if your not ideally located.

cajun

If I were going into the moving business, the first thing I'd invest in is an Airlift trailer like Roger Morris uses.  It has a hydrolic system that drops the whole trailer deck flat.  After that I'd buy the biggest Dutro hand truck they make and a small pallet jack and maybe the Anderson dolly.  Depending on which truck you buy to pull the whole works, you're looking at 20k minimum. If you need to navigate stairs then get an Enduro stair climber - add 5k more.  Even with all that stuff, if you're not built like a line backer, forget it. Check out this video if you want to get an idea of how a pro does it  http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/22441-thoughts-on-vending-dolly/page-2 If we could just get Roger a bottle of Rogain, he'd be truly stylin'.   ;D  ;D  ;D

If I were going into the moving business, the first thing I'd invest in is an Airlift trailer like Roger Morris uses.  It has a hydrolic system that drops the whole trailer deck flat.  After that I'd buy the biggest Dutro hand truck they make and a small pallet jack and maybe the Anderson dolly.  Depending on which truck you buy to pull the whole works, you're looking at 20k minimum. If you need to navigate stairs then get an Enduro stair climber - add 5k more.  Even with all that stuff, if you're not built like a line backer, forget it. Check out this video if you want to get an idea of how a pro does it  http://vendiscuss.net/index.php?/topic/22441-thoughts-on-vending-dolly/page-2 If we could just get Roger a bottle of Rogain, he'd be truly stylin'.   ;D  ;D  ;D

My wife shaved my head 15 years ago and won't let me grow back the little I have. 

You really don't have to be big. I'm not 5' 9" 160 lbs and 61..

You just have to work smart and have the proper tools. I always go inside first and make mental notes as to the path things on walls and walk it through. I don't get in a hurry because that is when you find your self in a situation. I don't move many by myself. Can't afford to get hurt. Most the time the vendor is there and he can help guiding it through doors etc. Most vendors I can almost tip back myself. I laugh and tell them I need 5 lbs to get it tipped back. I also have a 1100 lb pallet jack I got from Northern tool. It is about 22 inches wide and 30 long. It will pick up a loaded BevMax. Only weighs 88 lbs perfect and has small foot print for tight places.

Insurance is a must...... Crack someones tile or tear up a door way and you will pay. I also have $10,000 cargo insurance because if you have a wreck you will have to pay for it also.I can haul 6 600-E's on my trailer and never get off the ground. Won't even sweat if I don't have to push them across carpet.

My wife shaved my head 15 years ago and won't let me grow back the little I have. 

You really don't have to be big. I'm not 5' 9" 160 lbs and 61..

You just have to work smart and have the proper tools. I always go inside first and make mental notes as to the path things on walls and walk it through. I don't get in a hurry because that is when you find your self in a situation. I don't move many by myself. Can't afford to get hurt. Most the time the vendor is there and he can help guiding it through doors etc. Most vendors I can almost tip back myself. I laugh and tell them I need 5 lbs to get it tipped back. I also have a 1100 lb pallet jack I got from Northern tool. It is about 22 inches wide and 30 long. It will pick up a loaded BevMax. Only weighs 88 lbs perfect and has small foot print for tight places.

Insurance is a must...... Crack someones tile or tear up a door way and you will pay. I also have $10,000 cargo insurance because if you have a wreck you will have to pay for it also.I can haul 6 600-E's on my trailer and never get off the ground. Won't even sweat if I don't have to push them across carpet.

How's your wife feel about those old Beatles wigs ?

The tuck away gates suck, it's real easy to dump a machine onto the tarmac if you use one.

I can fully agree with this from personal experience.  I borrowed a truck with a tuck-away lift gate and that was the LAST time I ever moved machines by myself.  Sure, I got the machines loaded and unloaded without incident, but I worked my butt off for that!  I have NO issue paying my mover anywhere from $100 to $150 per hour to move my equipment because he's good, he's quick, and I don't break a sweat.

Wow so many replies . Kind of intimidating .

The partner I'm thinking of going into it with is very experienced at making moves. I went with him on a move and the device he has made it very easy to make the moves . Everyone in our area knows him..

You guys kind of scared me though , but it's good to have so many experienced opinions to understand what I'm getting into.

Wow so many replies . Kind of intimidating .

The partner I'm thinking of going into it with is very experienced at making moves. I went with him on a move and the device he has made it very easy to make the moves . Everyone in our area knows him..

You guys kind of scared me though , but it's good to have so many experienced opinions to understand what I'm getting into.

If he's putting up the money and has all the experience, what's your contribution?  Sounds like he may already have much of the equipment we mentioned.  If you end up wanting that Airlift trailer, you'll have to make the trek to Upland, California like Roger did awhile back.

They have them closer moondog.

It's even a wonder Roger made it out of Kaliforna, with all those earthquake kracks there.

102.gif 102.gif 102.gif

cajun

For a guy who's surrounded by Sinalods, Gators and Rue ga rues you sure are paranoid about a few earthquake cracks - we find that they make great place to dump all our garbage  ;D  ;D  ;D

For a guy who's surrounded by Sinalods, Gators and Rue ga rues you sure are paranoid about a few earthquake cracks - we find that they make great place to dump all our garbage  ;D  ;D  ;D

The EPA, CARB, and an army of pot smoking hippies in VW microbuses will be at your door shortly ;D ;D jk

The EPA, CARB, and an army of pot smoking hippies in VW microbuses will be at your door shortly ;D ;D jk

Goody !!! Maybe I can sell them some of those dad gum Vendos I've got sitting here.

That is what we do (aside from a normal route). Check out my webpage at http://www.midstatevending.com then click "transportation services".

We service the Middle TN area. I started with just a flat bed with lift gate and a pallet jack. Over the years upgraded to an enclosed truck with a "rail gate" so that the lift does not act like a diving board.

Additionally, picked up a vending dolly and furniture moving dollies from Northern Tool. I don't break a sweat anymore and I have a growing client base.

Keep insurance. Learn to take off commercial doors and put them on correctly... also carry a cordless drill. Be very careful and make sure you have enough time. I broke my finger once already when a drink machine landed on it. Invest in steel toe shoes for when the dolly runs into your feet.

Archived