2 machines, same symptom

nrod7

One Dixie Narco 276 and the other is a Royal 804.  One in a breakroom, the other outside in the elements. 

At both locations, the customers have complained that the product (cans) are not cold enough.  Originally, both thermostats set between 3-4.

The product has gotten colder, but only because the thermostat is set to max.  Fans are operating, thermostat is kicking the compressor in.

Surely, these machines should not have to be set to max in order to work properly.

What should I check?

Respectfully,

nrod7

First check that the evaporator fan motor is running (that's the one inside blowing the cold air). Check for air leaks, door gasket, vend door flap. Lastly, check the gas charge by unplugging machine, then unplug refrigeration system and plug into an extension cord so only the compressor and condenser fan run. Look for a light frost covering the evaporator all the way through the accumulator (that's the hot dog shaped copper device on the larger line). The frost should be complete within 10 minutes.

They are probably both low on freon or you have short cycling thermostats.  Likely the freon.

P.S. The accumulator should not have any frost on it.  If it gets cold enough for that, barring high humidity, then you have a bad high side valve in the compressor.  The accumulator should never be cold enough for it to frost over.

I had a similar problem after getting a deck repaired. It turned out to [probably] just be a clog in the line. If you can get it to run with the door open and look at the evaporator, you might be able to see where the frosting ends. If it does end, it's probably just low on freon or clogged. If it is clogged, you MIGHT be able to gently tap on that part to get it loose but it's also possible that the drier needs to be changed out which means it needs to be rebuilt. It's worth trying though.

First thing to do is to a thermometer in a soda.

If it reads under 40° and over 33° the locations are full of stuffing.

38° is optimal temperature any colder and you cannot taste the flavor of the soda as well.

Is there any ice or frost on the coils?

Does the compressor cycle on and off or does it run nonstop?

Is the back of the machine pressed against the wall? You need a 4 inch gap.

Are all the fans working?

Is the condenser coils dirty?

Walta

Thanks for all the feedback, I will certainly follow the suggestions.  

I appreciate all your help. You guys have helped me tremendously. 

Respectfully,

nrod7

Make sure the probe on thermostat isn't stuck in evaporator. It will cause the compressor to short  cycle if it is. Low gas will cause you to have a ball of ice where the cap tube connects to evaporator. If there isn't ice there and it is cold then I would try a new thermostat. Like what was mentioned earlier unplug machine  plug deck into a cord and let run. Frost not ice should form on evaporator and lines leading out of cabinet within a few minutes.

Archived