Vendo Machine questions

rgt2770

Wondering if anyone could help with some dumb questions about a Vendo V220-125 Pepsi machine? 

I am having problems making it vend, it would help if I understood the operation sequence. My question is does the coin changer activate (and keep activated) the credit relay? It accepts the coins and pays out as it should. When money is inserted it will only activate the credit relay for 1/4 second. If I hold the relay closed it will vend as it should. I also do not understand what the Time Delay Module / relay is for?

Any help is appreciated!

The coin mech sends a credit pulse to the relay to set a credit.  The relay then holds the credit until any vend mechanism cancels the credit by opening the vend circuit. You probably have a bad motor switch that is cancelling the credit.  If this old of a Vendo uses solenoids to vend a can then it can be a bad switch on the solenoid or a problem in the time delay since you said you have one.  If you really do have a time delay module on it then you should just junk the machine because there are no parts available for it.  Sell it to a "collector" if you can or just scrap it.  It's not worth the hassle.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply! I am not going to junk this thing as it all works except for dropping coins in to make it vend. I just need to know what holds the credit relay active to make it vend? By the SCREWED UP Wiring diagram all power comes from the coin mech. ? 
What exactly does the time delay module / relay do? If I hold the relay closed it will continue to vend and the time delay relay will activate the lock out solenoid on that motor. 
Just trying to make this 70's Vendo work for a man cave thing. I refuse to junk it, I will rewire it to eliminate the coin mech if need be. 
Can you give me a theory of operation? Who ever drew the wiring diagram for this POS should have their balls smashed between two red bricks…. That way they cannot produce any more Idiots!
Thanks, Rick

I am not as knowledgeable as AZVendor but the power comes from the transofrmer, not the coin mech.  The coin mech sends the pulse once the credit is sufficient (ie. price is 50 cents and you inserted over 50 cents).  Once the pulse is sent to the relay, the relay is now open.  Typically, what happens is that it waits for you to vend something.  When the product is vended, a switch is thus pressed while the motor moves around.  Once the motor has turned the rotor far enough, the arm of the switch will fall into the notch of the cam (disk shaped plastic piece above the front of the motor).  When that happens, the disengaged switch causes the relay to close and complete the circuit, allowing for the process again.  If anything causes the relay to close before the cycle is completed, then nothing will vend as the cycle is "complete" once the relay closes.  You could have a bad switch somewhere that is causing this or perhaps a short circuit.  It would be difficult for me to ever try to walk you through that as that machine is far too old for me to have any clue about.  I'm just trying to explain the general way things work.  The coin mech simply sends the original pulse to the relay and gives due change immediately after credit has been exceeded (if necessary).  Beyond that, the coin mech doesn't do anything else.  You might have power supply that doesn't send enough voltage too I guess.. but again.. that's over my head.  There's a reason why AZVendor mentioned junking it.  You are trying to get something working and parts might not be available.  By the way, if the machine has switches, you pretty much need every switch to work properly to avoid various problems.  Even just one bad switch and the machine can be down.

• Like 1

Okay Guys, Thank you for the replies! Let me change my question? If you look at the wiring, the only place the credit relay gets power to activate is from Jones plug N3 to credit relay RA. Where does it get the power to HOLD the credit relay for the vend cycle? The coin mech sends the pulse to relay which activates for the 1/4 second and then it no longer has power to activate. Where does it come from?

Thanks for all the help!

Credit Relay.jpg

I know you guys think I am stupid for messing with this... Maybe I am.. I refuse to give up! If any of you asked me how a gas pump works I could give you theory of operation from lifting the handle through the Andi Box or Nexgen through the POS to the dispenser and the STP's...  All I am looking for is THEORY of Operation! I can figure it out from there if I know where power is applied, sent and returned.. I would pay money for just the theory of operation... Just sayin!

I am just a vendor. I can't get that technical. I scrap machines that old and focus on newer stuff.

Here is just a thought at this point...

To my knowledge, 110v is always going to the relay, coin mech, and all other parts. But the vend circuit is like another internal circuit. When the pulse is sent, the vend relay opens, but 110v has always been there. The difference is that the vend circuit is now open.  I think the action of the switch engaging during the vend cycle is what sort of shorts out the relay, making it close.  There are usually two arms on the single price vend switch.  I believe the first arm is in the cam and disengaged so that the vend circuit is closed but available for another vend. The other wider arm is for something else but i can't remember without seeing it.

Thing is, your relay could be bad too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, falls said:

Have a look at this manual, I'm pretty sure the circuit you are asking about is the one highlighted on p 29.

I want to say THANK YOU my Friend! Your diagram made me see what I was missing! IT VENDS AS IT SHOULD! I cannot thank you enough! 

I said i WOULD Pay money for info.  ... What do I owe you my Friend? You fixed my problem!

14 minutes ago, rgt2770 said:

I want to say THANK YOU my Friend! Your diagram made me see what I was missing! IT VENDS AS IT SHOULD! I cannot thank you enough! 

I said i WOULD Pay money for info.  ... What do I owe you my Friend? You fixed my problem!

So what was the problem?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rgt2770 said:

Thank You my Friend! Had it not been for your comments I might not have found this forum! You came up in a google search for VENDO questions.. I OWE YOU! 

It might be AZVendor rather than myself, but you're welcome.

2 hours ago, rgt2770 said:

No Problem, maybe a small donation to keep the forum running.

• 3 years later...