IDEAS: for your best locations

GumballDragon

I'm in a situation where I feel the need to strengthen my 'whales', my best/top locations.  I have some locations that are just absolutely crushing it, and these are not 'paid' locations.  I want to do something nice in return, and curious about what you guys do for these types of locations?   What is that one thing you do, that makes these locations very happy (but nothing too expensive, looking for something simple, yet strong).  All your input on this would be much appreciated.  

• 2 weeks later...

AMD, thanks so much for the suggestions.  I ended up leaning more toward coffee mugs with their business name/logo on it, but it was getting 'too pricey'.  I even considered nice pens with their biz name/logo, and that was also getting too expensive.  Its difficult to do something 'awesome' without it being too expensive.  I think something simple, as you suggested may be my only option.  Curious about what other people are doing too?  Maybe nobody is doing anything like this?  

2 hours ago, GumballDragon said:

AMD, thanks so much for the suggestions.  I ended up leaning more toward coffee mugs with their business name/logo on it, but it was getting 'too pricey'.  I even considered nice pens with their biz name/logo, and that was also getting too expensive.  Its difficult to do something 'awesome' without it being too expensive.  I think something simple, as you suggested may be my only option.  Curious about what other people are doing too?  Maybe nobody is doing anything like this?  

I don't buy gifts. Good professional service and friendly demeanor go a long way in this business. I throw people some freebies here and there, get there fast if there is service issue and keep my equipment clean, well stocked and working. That game plan has served me well over the years. Not saying little gifts don't help but I personally have never felt the need to do it.

Don't buy gifts for charity locations, kinda puts the lie to the whole charity thing. Don't buy gifts for anyone else either makes you look like your commission rate is so low you can afford to buy junk. The best thing you can be when dealing with small independents is a "working man" just like they are, Corporations, love to shake down suppliers for freebies for corporate events. Means absolutely nothing when it comes time to negotiate a contract. Unless you are really big and can fly folks to the super bowl, then it works.

Anytime i switch out low performing candy i would give a tiny bit to a employee.  I would switch to a nicer looking machine. I would frequently everytime ask if they wanted to see different candy. I carry around tiny cups and give them the test vend in the cup. I would just always speak with them and show up twice a month instead of once. I remember all the managers name and face

I also do some Honor boxes and very very occasionally would give a piece of candy to one of the employees not manager. I think it means more because managers might expect kissing golpher and would see it like that. I also think if anyone complains it would start from a employee not the boss. 

I think what Musser said makes a lot of sense. I've only given gift cards to accounts I was trying to get, and normally it's on the day I'm putting a machine in, sort of to give the impression good things are already happening since we started doing business. 

When you wrote this post originally, I was just about to take over a route I bought and was really nervous I'd lose some accounts because they were mainly hispanic, and my spanish isn't great. So I was in the same boat, going to buy something to sweeten the transition. But I didn't have the capital or time, so I just went in and was nice, and so far it's worked out.

I'm wondering why you feel the need to "strengthen" your locations. If they're not paid, and you start giving them something, I'd be worried they might start wanting a commission. That could just be me. But i figure the best thing you can give a good location is great service. Fixing or replacing broken equipment asap, so that you're machines don't become a headache for them, and never letting machines get empty. 

There isn't enough money in bulk to do that type of thing.  I might buy some gift cards from the restaurant to put in a merchandiser or something,  but that's it.  I have in the past bought Christmas cards and maybe candy or something.  But that was years ago.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say 'thank you' to everyone who took the time to elaborate on this thread.  All your suggestions and advice were great!   @AMD Snacks, the reason I felt the need to 'strengthen' some of my accounts, was the 'fear' of losing them.   For some reason, when I land an account that is huge, I always have slight fear in the back of my mind that I could possibly lose it.  It's a mild case of paranoia, to some degree.  I've had some strange experience in the past; where the manager will approve the machine, and then the owner walks in, and wants the machine out; its happened so many times that I get paranoid.  It happened to me again 2 weeks ago; walked into a laundromat, manager approved, I place the machine, and then got a call back 30 minutes later.  Drives me nuts.

Holiday cards seem like an excellent idea; makes big impact, and cost effective.  Will probably just go that route.  

Thanks again everyone! 

Archived