Candy Prices

I remember when Merchant's Mart was available to me.  Their prices were already pretty high and some items would see regular price increases that seemed to have less to do with the distributors and more to do with Vistar.  They closed that location down so I don't even know anymore.  Does Vistar do the same thing as Coke and Pepsi where they try to get you to order more by enticing you with rebates and "special" pricing?

Coke and Pepsi here don’t offer incentives. Our only rebates come through USG. The pricing increase is coming from the manufacturer and according to the text I got from the MARS rep awhile ago it’s going to be across the board not just through the vend channel. I’m sure the big guys (Wal Mart,Canteen etc.) will have some price protection for a few months. 

• Like 1

Mars took a 10% across-the-board increase increase last Friday.  Vistar ALWAYS follows suit immediately, just like the gas stations do when they see oil prices go up.  It's ridiculous that they react that way, especially since they are still selling the "cheaper" inventory, but that's Vistar.  I believe that they will get an allocation for all of their customers to purchase at the "old" price, before the increased price.  The allocation will be based on previous purchases and some convoluted formula.  Look for HERSHEY and NESTLE (now Ferrara) to follow suit.  They always do.  Chris, you may want to look at $1.25 for candy.  It's pretty much becoming a standard up here in MIchigan.  Some of the bigger guys might be at $1.15, but the days of $1.00 candy bars are pretty much behind us now.  :) 

• Like 1

We’ve had candy at $1.25 for a while. I quit buying from Vistar because their prices just got ridiculous.  I go to Sam’s and a local wholesaler now. I do order from Coke occasionally from Coke, but the new company that took over can’t seem to deliver it. It took 5 weeks to get my last order and it was wrong when it came.  The old company was great. Not the new one.  They also don’t fix their own machines anymore.  They want me to buy and install a fan on one.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I couldn't get a coke lease if I tried here.  They stopped 3rd parties.

Are you an FLO account? Or something different? Talk to your rep about the volume you would need to be seen as a FLO. Who is your bottler out there? Reyes?

26 minutes ago, Anacapa Vending said:

Are you an FLO account? Or something different? Talk to your rep about the volume you would need to be seen as a FLO. Who is your bottler out there? Reyes?

I don't buy directly from coke or pepsi but from what my fellow vendor tells me (he has 10+ routes), you just can't get coke leases anymore and he apparently doesn't want to have them anyway because I guess they put even more demands on flavor quotas and what-not.  I couldn't tell you who the rep is and I don't care lol.  I need maybe 20 cases of coke/diet coke bottles per month and maybe 60 cases of pepsi products.  The rest of my bottles are 7up brands.  Bottles only consist of maybe 35% of my beverage revenue so I save a significant amount of money by having my own equipment and purchasing cans at Sam's (except 7up products).  Although I have to purchase and maintain my own equipment, I make way better margins and I have full control over what flavors I put in.  I don't have to worry about pushing powerade, fanta, or any other flavors I don't want to carry.  Right now, I am buying gatorade from GFS at $14/case and selling it anywhere from $1.00 to $1.50 and people are killing it at $1.00/$1.25.

• Like 1