Blast from the past

35 minutes ago, Zachsea said:

Funny thing is some sucker will probably still offer you 500 for it on marketplace

Funny thing is your prob right! Especially now. In my area there’s almost 0 vending machines for sale anywhere. And the few that are are way out dated and they’re asking stupid money for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tblake05 said:

Funny thing is your prob right! Especially now. In my area there’s almost 0 vending machines for sale anywhere. And the few that are are way out dated and they’re asking stupid money for.

guy is asking $250 if I remember correctly.  Saw that thing and had to post it here lol. Heck I'm still looking for a soda machine, my bonus check at work took a mth to get to me so the machine i had lined up sold in that time. Hardly anything around me as well unless you want old coke, 7-up, Pepsi branded machines, that wont take credit card. 

Wow, 250?  It looks like kind of a come get it, I just want it out of here kind of machine.  Should go to the scrapyard along with that duck taped up broom.  Spent more on a roll of tape that the broom is worth.  Get rid of that crap.

5 hours ago, AZVendor said:

Even one dollar for this one is stupid money.  I don't even recognize what it is.  Maybe a real early Lektrovend? 

I would say it is a model 204 Lektrovend which would have less selection buttons than the one in the brochure.

lektro.JPG

Edited by venddoctor
  • Like 1

There ya go. That's what I thought based on the coin return, metal delivery door and the dual coils which were rarely used by anyone else. And the product pusher shapes.  Boy do I miss the old days of vending when it was fun and not the disaster industry it's been for the last 15 years.

Edited by AZVendor
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AZVendor said:

There ya go. That's what I thought based on the coin return, metal delivery door and the dual coils which were rarely used by anyone else. And the product pusher shapes.  Boy do I miss the old days of vending when it was fun and not the disaster industry it's been for the last 15 years.

Az, we’ve been in the industry just under 3 years. It seemed way easier the first year or so until products became harder to find.

other than that, how was it different compared to the era of the lectrovend 204? What was it like back then compared to now? Just curious as someone who hasn’t lived it...

I can only imagine you working from dawn to dusk to make 7500 back then.  Loading my own truck, I can do 2k in about 10 hours with some decent stops, nothing huge.  7500 seems like 15000 in today's money

• Like 1

You're exactly right, we were selling stuff at least 1/2 of the prices of today, and vending is always long days for the drivers.  I did have one driver who did one location every day doing one third of the breakrooms there each day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tblake05 said:

Man, I'm so bummed.  Being born in 1986, I missed out on everything.  Fast cars, good music, cheap gas, arcades, vending, respectful people, list goes on and on....

I know exactly what you're saying (1985 here) but we are in an amazing space in time where we have watched the entire world transition from analog to digital. Who else will ever get to say that?  You got to witness the first mainstream personal computers get unleashed, the birth of modern internet, the birth of social media, the birth of cell phones for everyone, etc..  You also got to witness how the big wigs of the world managed to completely hijack our social media interractions to a big degree.  And because of that, you likely won't be completely brainwashed by internet personalities like the younger people are but you also won't refuse technology like the older people tend to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AZVendor said:

You're exactly right, we were selling stuff at least 1/2 of the prices of today, and vending is always long days for the drivers.  I did have one driver who did one location every day doing one third of the breakrooms there each day.

If you decided to unretire to get back into vending, you'd get re-retired before you even got started because of the condition that vending is in.  I'm not saying you couldn't do it, but I can't see you being incentivized enough to be willing to deal with all of the BS that's affecting us all today.  I thought it would be over by now, but supply shortages and labor shortages are still going strong, and inflation just hurts everything on top of that.

While I miss it immensely, I have no desire to get back in unless it was to do micro markets which isn't my bag. Long gone are the days of making a living off of 300 vending machines, taking $10,000 to the bank at a time (maybe I don't miss that part) and repairing machines with my expertise.  That world is gone and so I'm off in middle management land to retire from in maybe 10 years. I do make more money than I ever did in vending so there is that.  At least I have a better chance of building my retirement fund now.  Missing it is why I dabble in this forum since there are still some old machines out there.

Wow this topic brings back some good memories ,we had a Rowe post mix machine in the cotton mills they worked great but trying to keep the ants and roaches out of the syrup was a full time job, and do any of y’all remember freeze dried Coffee Mat machines all it had was coffee cream sugar and hot Chocolate they were simple and very reliable. I saw you had the candy shop and pastry shop machines we called them paddle machines the first time I ever unjammed  a changer on one took me over a hour it was a nightmare to put back together.

I ran Rowe postmix myself but always inside an air conditioned facility.  Like with coffee, it was of utmost importance to keep them clean.  The ice makers were the most problematic on post mix machines but I loved their ice.  I also remember the Coffee Mat machines as they were quite plentiful when I got started.  Yes, the old Gattling Gun coin changers were a bear to work on.

Edited by AZVendor