AP6000 snack machine / change over of bill validator

I am new to the vending world and have a question/concern about my AP6000 snack machine. I got it pretty cheap. So I decided to see how it does. 
seems ok, but I keep getting dollar bills stuck in the bill validation system.  I didn’t want to start taking things apart before I understood how to repair it. This machine has a metal casing for the bill validator.  Can I change this out? Or upgrade it to a nicer one that will reduce the bills getting stuck in the machine?   If so….???  How do I go about it? 

IMG_4212.jpeg

It likely has a very old, Mars VFM model bill acceptor. You should toss that boat anchor and update to a VN series which was Mar’s next step forward in DBVs. Pay attention to the power requirements. Im almost certain you have a 115v VFM in there now which means you’d start looking for a VN2501 or 2511. Also, make sure the mask on the new dbv matches the vfm. There are bottler and snack masks which don’t always fit into every machine. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after further research and spending time really looking at my AP6600 model, I discovered that I have a Mars bill acceptor…

(Model   VFM3 L1 U4C)

this unit actually takes $1’s & $5’s

the problem is that it doesn’t take the new $5 bill post 2008 when they changed it.  So, I’m still in need of an upgrade that will take $1’s-$5’s&$10’s

After more research I think I found one that will work.  It is a :

Mars/MEI 120V pulse interface that is a recommended replacement for the 

VFM1-L1 /or/  VFM3-L1  bill validator.

with advice from Alan and others 

I do see another model available:

it’s the Mars/MEI  VN2501U5 120V

this validator will take $1’s & $5’s with the recognition of the 2008 post $5 bill.

How do i know what # mask my validator has?

IMG_4554.png

IMG_4553.png

when purchased new, the mask installed was part of the model #. 

Mar's Model # is broken down below.  This is also in their manual.

"VN25 "series  (Vending DBV that accepts 3 notes ($1, $2 and $5) with a

"0" indicates VFM or Snack mask or  "1" for Bottler mask

"1" indicated 115 VAC where "2" indicated 24 VAC operation

The snack looks like the mask on your current VFM with the "lips" in the middle of the bezel where a bottler mask's lips are lower on the bezel.  The snack mask also pushes the dbv up and back to clear your display and other hardware in the machine.  Bottlers masks either wont fit at all or will cause interference with other hardware around it. 

21 hours ago, tblake05 said:

Don’t forget some black spray paint and an afternoon to update that ugly wood grain.

I have a few of these old brown machines. What spray paint is best to use? Also....  just mask off all the trim and go for it?

Mike

11 hours ago, Mike4 said:

I have a few of these old brown machines. What spray paint is best to use? Also....  just mask off all the trim and go for it?

Mike

Yup, I did a really old USI machine.  Took the entire door apart and laid all the woodgrain panels out, scuffed them, and painted them with some flat black...

Looked nice, but at the end of the day, it was just an old USI machine.  So I scrapped it after I got sick of the maka, and for some reason the SM3 (I think) wouldn't interface to an MEI.  Decided to just cut my losses.

1 hour ago, tblake05 said:

Yup, I did a really old USI machine.  Took the entire door apart and laid all the woodgrain panels out, scuffed them, and painted them with some flat black...

Looked nice, but at the end of the day, it was just an old USI machine.  So I scrapped it after I got sick of the maka, and for some reason the SM3 (I think) wouldn't interface to an MEI.  Decided to just cut my losses.

Yeah that’s the problem …. Costs so much to upgrade them to a decent machine you might as well just buy a newer one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys, ( AZVendor, cvending, VendoMike ) I went ahead and purchased the Mars/MEI  VN2501 U5 120v Validator w/ 500 Bill Box for my AP6600 Snack machine.   I purchased it from Capital Vending

I also purchased a Mars MEI 120v HARNESS Cable Bill Validator Acceptor model VN25x1 AE25x1 AR26x1.

Now is that the only harness cable i will need?   Should everything work once i connect my cables?  Did i buy the right harness?  I'm just looking for some  guidance from you well educated vendors.

The swap out seems easy enough to complete, but i don't want to screw something up and fry my main control board.   Big shout out to the guys mentioned above for all you feedback.

If it’s the 9pin power harness you should be good. I would have expected one to come with the dbv. Assuming the VFM was functioning, everything else you need should already be in the machine. When you install this harness into the side of the VN, it will leave 18 open pins. This is where you plug in the  serial harness that was plugged into the control box on the side of the VFM.

No, a 500 stacker will fit, it just won't have the clearance to come off and that's why you use it so you can open the side door to extract the bills. If the stacker has to come off later then the validator can simply be removed from the door.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  

Well, I installed the new bill  acceptor and attached the harness that goes with it .....AND...........It's still not accepting $5 dollar bills.  I set ALL the dip switches to  OFF and Nothing!!!

Still works like I never changed anything.  I took it back out and set the dip switches according to the directions on the bill acceptor.   Still only taking $1 dollar bills.  I contacted Capital Vending via email and told their support that this  bill acceptor is not working correctly and I want to return it. 

He ask me

What is the OEM part number of the current validator harness in your machine?   Best to look at service records of the machine as this type of part is often changed.

On a AP 7000 the harness controls the bill accepted.

I replied
The number on the harness is; 250077006 REV G2

He replied back

This is the part number for the power harness for the bill acceptor. 

I need the OEM part number for the validator harness.

Now this is where I am confused.  I thought the bill validator and bill acceptor where the same thing?!?!?!?
where do I find the OEM part number for the Validator harness?

First of all, set your bill acceptor switches to short pulse and then the bill acceptance to $1 only because the AP logic board is not capable of accepting 5s.  You would need to put an InOne Technologies board in it to take more than 1s.

I had no issues with my vfm bill acceptor. Minus the fact that it was old.  The purpose for my upgrade was to be able to accept $5 bills.  I was under the impression that if I bought a new/used bill acceptor and a harness to connect the new acceptor with the current logic board, everything would work accordingly. Now I have to upgrade my board to be able to have this ability??!!!

The upgrade was not that serious. I was just trying to offer my customers another option.  Lesson learned on this mistake. Next time buy a more updated machine.  (SMH)🤦‍♂️