Buy or pass?

So just went in today and switched out some products on the snack machine to ones i already have and talked to the manager. He said the service from the previous vendor was awful and he was going to kick them out next month if it continued. But i talked to him about everything and how i handle business and by the end of it he ended up asking me to get another snack machine where the soda machine that makes the most money was so ended up turning out pretty good for me. Gonna put an honor box in there for a few weeks and see how it does and if it does well put in a snack machine. Lots of kids in the complexes. Will keep everyone updated and appreciate the responses. I love this forum!

So now the guy you bought the location from was apparently doing a lousy job and was getting kicked out? In the meantime he knows of his ex-locations where the new vendors are doing a lousy job too, so his old accounts want him back according to him.

Maybe it's just me but something here is really not adding up.

The best thing you can do is exactly what you're doing - establish a good repore with the manager and work the account hard.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just always doing my best in trying to trust someone and take their word for it but i've figured out that you just have to go into it not believing a word they say (which i'm not doing too good at) i'm only 20 years old and buying from people twice as old as me at least and i'm the only one being honest. Too many people just about the dollar and not about respect. Such a shame.. But i'll update with the numbers in about month.

Don't worry, it's not that hard to find a couple of new locations just by asking friends and family if they know someone (a decision maker) within a business somewhere. At the very LEAST, I do not think you are at risk of getting ripped of, you are getting decent machines for a decent price.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay guys first months pull was just over $300. A little less than what he said but was really i was expecting( or less). But anyways i made an honor box and put it in the loft section also where the managers room is right by to see how it would do and went pretty well. Only short $1 and am actually tslked to him about moving the snack machine from the retirement part to in there and he loved the idea! So moving that there on friday hoping it'll help next months pull. Then putting an honor box where the snack machine is now. Have cameras in there so hopefully that'll prevent theft but if not i'll just take it out. Also thinking about moving the drink machine that was on the 3rd floor to where the snack machine is now to see if that'll help. But wont do that for another month or 2. All opinions welcomed! Thanks guys

Okay guys first months pull was just over $300. A little less than what he said but was really i was expecting( or less). But anyways i made an honor box and put it in the loft section also where the managers room is right by to see how it would do and went pretty well. Only short $1 and am actually tslked to him about moving the snack machine from the retirement part to in there and he loved the idea! So moving that there on friday hoping it'll help next months pull. Then putting an honor box where the snack machine is now. Have cameras in there so hopefully that'll prevent theft but if not i'll just take it out. Also thinking about moving the drink machine that was on the 3rd floor to where the snack machine is now to see if that'll help. But wont do that for another month or 2. All opinions welcomed! Thanks guys

Be careful about moving machines around too much - that costs money especially if you're going up and down stairs. Machine movers, while necessary, aren't cheap - especially when you're dealing with a $300 a month account.

What's this guy doing keeping tabs on ex accounts he's sold to somebody else? That smells really bad - I'd hold this guy at arms length

Agreed.

That's somebody I wouldn't trust....he's going ot sell your account to the next guy, too. I'd ask the person who owns the accounts how many times your seller has offered those accounts to others already...he'll probably be very interested to hear you're being offered info that was sold to him.

When I buy an account, I have a written receipt with wording to the effect "I will never attempt to solicit or place vending equipment at this location, forever". What's *that* worth? Nothing, except it's a tool you could use if the locations he sells you report they're being solicited...and you find out he's done to you what he's doiung to the last guy who bought from him.

Most leopards don't change their spots.

That being said, you've seen replies that vary from "go for it" to "the seller's not trustworthy"...you can see opinions are all over the map...and we know that everybody has an opinion and something else. If you like the route and aren't paying troo much more than the street value of the equipmnent, you've done the right thing. Ask for opinions, but make your own decisions, then sell, sell, sell!

Good luck with your new business...let us know how things go.

James

James

So just went in today and switched out some products on the snack machine to ones i already have and talked to the manager. He said the service from the previous vendor was awful and he was going to kick them out next month if it continued. But i talked to him about everything and how i handle business and by the end of it he ended up asking me to get another snack machine where the soda machine that makes the most money was so ended up turning out pretty good for me. Gonna put an honor box in there for a few weeks and see how it does and if it does well put in a snack machine. Lots of kids in the complexes. Will keep everyone updated and appreciate the responses. I love this forum!

This sounds like the best thing you could have done!

Well you see.. My shoe was untied then next thing i know he's doing it all haha. Well he drove the truck and i walked next to it to make sure it didn't come unstrapped at all or anything. Trying to turn that sucker was not too fun. Had arms and legs straight basically holding a lot of it. But it survived another day!

Well guys i bought it yesterday. I'll keep you updated to see if hos numbers add up. If everything's good. I got a bunch of really good leads from him about locations he used to have but sold them and new person is doing an awful job sevicing! So this could potentially be my first vendor that could help me in person and expand. Just need more money. Don't we all

I think you made a good deal here.

I just reread that quote. The only thing he should be doing if he sold an account to someone is giving them a heads up about any problems. If he is giving you a list this speaks badly of his character. Once we put a vendor in an account we do everything we can to be sure its a win/win for years.

But I do think you made a good deal on your purchase.

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys got the pull for this month and had an overall increase by $200! Went from 300 to 500 for all 3 machines! Snack machine definitely did a lot better in the new spot and also due to it warming up some sales increased as well

Well guys got the pull for this month and had an overall increase by $200! Went from 300 to 500 for all 3 machines! Snack machine definitely did a lot better in the new spot and also due to it warming up some sales increased as well

Not too bad - I'd bet if you really work that snack machine you could milk another $100 out of it and with summer coming on you should be able to hit $700 a month.

This sounds like it's another decent account that was poorly run - they're definitely out there.

I would love for that to happen!! And what do you mean by really work that snack machine? All advice on making more money i will take into consideration!

Try new stuff until you figure out what really sells. It only takes two or three people buying something regularly to make an item successful. Make sure everything vends properly - if not switch out some coils and add product pushers if necessary. Once you've got your mix down, chart the whole thing so you'll know what goes where. It's nice to have a couple of selections where you try new things occasionally. This process usually takes me about three months but really makes a difference in the long run.

Try new stuff until you figure out what really sells. It only takes two or three people buying something regularly to make an item successful. Make sure everything vends properly - if not switch out some coils and add product pushers if necessary. Once you've got your mix down, chart the whole thing so you'll know what goes where. It's nice to have a couple of selections where you try new things occasionally. This process usually takes me about three months but really makes a difference in the long run.

Okay sweet thanks! I had one more question too. I know everyone says not to get a combo but the people at the retirement center are really wanting the snack machine back and the manager's beginning to get kind of annoyed with them saying that. So i was thinking about putting a combo in there and then pulling the soda machine and then finding a new location for that. I feel a combo machine's all it needs there. It's not the money maker by any means but basically have to have something in there to keep everyone happy and money still going in my pocket

You'll be fine if you use a name brand combo like a Crane/National, AP or USI side by side machines (2 or 3 wide snack and 6 sel. soda). Don't buy one of USI's machines that have snacks and soda in one cabinet, though. That machine is nothing but trouble.

Sorry, I should not be that generic with models. No, I was speaking of the old 3155 model of a few years back. The last iteration of that machine was in 2002. After that they actually produced some with the big selection buttons and the GVC controller, but the earlier ones are just about junk now. The cabinet and door, especially, are so heavy that the machine just starts to fall apart, structure-wise. The door won't line up, the sheet metal on the door get loose and bent, the can chute will start cutting cans, the coin chute to the coin box jams, it can be a mess.

Now I suppose there might be a pristine old 3155 out there, but I doubt it. I did sell a Dixie Narco yesterday in pristine condition. It was an MPC machine (remember those) with factory paint and sign. It cleaned up real nice and totally impressed the customer.

Okay sweet thanks! I had one more question too. I know everyone says not to get a combo but the people at the retirement center are really wanting the snack machine back and the manager's beginning to get kind of annoyed with them saying that. So i was thinking about putting a combo in there and then pulling the soda machine and then finding a new location for that. I feel a combo machine's all it needs there. It's not the money maker by any means but basically have to have something in there to keep everyone happy and money still going in my pocket got any better ideas?

This account is the perfect place to use a combo machine for a low volume satellite location where you already have several other machines making the money.

This account is the perfect place to use a combo machine for a low volume satellite location where you already have several other machines making the money.

What do you think about this machine? I have the guy at $700 right now. He was asking 875

post-6261-0-67390100-1365737021_thumb.jpg

What do you think about this machine? I have the guy at $700 right now. He was asking 875

Like AZ said, stick with an AP, AMS, Crane or Wittern combo - the one in the picture might look cool, but it's a pile of crap. You'll pay more upfront for a good one but in the long run you'll be glad you did.

Archived