How many single head gumballs to go fulltime?

Zeusophobia

I just want an honest living, and I'm not afraid of 60 hour weeks. I'd like to make $50,000 a year in my pocket. 

On a side note, in 6 months I receive a trust fund that was put together by my grandpa when I was born. There's really only enough there to get the ball rolling on a small business such as vending.

I was thinking I would add 10 machines at a time and use a locator service until I was up to 300 machines. Anyone think I should be adding less than 10?  Is this setting myself up to get overwhelmed?

Is 300 machines going to put food on the table? I want to be a one man band and figured 300 machines a month is all 40-60 hours would allow (correct me if I'm wrong).

Really depends on locations. With your plan your going to spend 9 to 10 grand on locator fees that's just crazy. You really need to try and locate these your self. Seems like you want to stream line also so I would stick with one machine type either oak or AA and not mix match here and there.

I just want an honest living, and I'm not afraid of 60 hour weeks. I'd like to make $50,000 a year in my pocket. 

On a side note, in 6 months I receive a trust fund that was put together by my grandpa when I was born. There's really only enough there to get the ball rolling on a small business such as vending.

I was thinking I would add 10 machines at a time and use a locator service until I was up to 300 machines. Anyone think I should be adding less than 10?  Is this setting myself up to get overwhelmed?

Is 300 machines going to put food on the table? I want to be a one man band and figured 300 machines a month is all 40-60 hours would allow (correct me if I'm wrong).

As already recommended, locate for yourself.

IMO, if you want the help of a locator to supplement your locating efforts in order to grow more quickly, go for it.

But, relying solely on locators to grow your route will be an expensive and very drawn-out process.

Starting with 10 machines is fine.

That's enough to give yourself an idea of what it's like to manage a "route" without being too overwhelming.

Lastly, the 40hrs-60hrs, are those work hours per week or per month?

Reason I ask: 300 singles will not be a full time job...if you are willing to put in 40hrs a week, you can go A LOT higher than 300 singles.

But, if you want to work only 40-60hrs in a month, then 300 is about right.

I would buy Oak Vista Panel machines, or A&A PO89 panel head machines , metal craft stands , sell only 1430 count gum.

Use a well respected charity and locate yourself.

Service the machines only when they are nearly mt.

You could easily do 2000 machines yourself.

This scenario gives high profit , ultra simplicity, you can work out of a very cheap gas saver car.

Try it out with 10 machines and get a feel for vending and if you like it then dive in.

Never forget; your job is not to bring wonderful toys and candy to the people of earth but to maximize your income per unit time.

You are young, treat the machines like savings bonds. Go about the business quietly, diligently, resolutely, and you will make a great deal of money.

Go about the business quietly, diligently, resolutely, and you will make a great deal of money.

Sage advice. I think I will steal it for my signature!

Hey Musser,

Very knowledgeable and helpful advice. 

Beginners like myself really appreciate all of the help and encouraging words from all of the experienced veterans here on the site.

With 2000 charity Oak Vista heads selling 1430 gum, what do you estimate the revenue / profit to be per year?

Thanks

I would buy Oak Vista Panel machines, or A&A PO89 panel head machines , metal craft stands , sell only 1430 count gum.

This scenario gives high profit , ultra simplicity, you can work out of a very cheap gas saver car.

Try it out with 10 machines and get a feel for vending and if you like it then dive in.

Never forget; your job is not to bring wonderful toys and candy to the people of earth but to maximize your income per unit time.

You are young, treat the machines like savings bonds. Go about the business quietly, diligently, resolutely, and you will make a great deal of money.

How much are metal craft stands

Will 1430 gum fit in a 1 inch machine?

It's really hard to put how much you will make on any amount of machines, but if you do as everyone has suggested, you won't be sorry for sure! After you try out your first 10 machines, and you like it, then re invest every dime you get from the machines. 

If will start to snowball and grow rapidly. Like everyone said, learn to locate yourself. For every 3 machines you have a locator place, you could pay for and fill another machine. So instead of paying some one else, you will take the 45 or whatever and make a residual income indefinitely. 

So the 45 you pay someone else can be turned  into thousands in stead of just out of your pocket.

Look around the threads, there is locating scripts, how to hold yourself and what to say. If you still need help, I know that others will offer solutions, and I know that I will.

Why only 1430 count gum?  I can't imagine making more money off of it than with 850 unless you're selling it out of a shootin' hoops. What are others experiences with it?  

I can get 850 for 2.37 cents per.

But when I search for 1430 at

Carousel - http://www.carouselgumball.com/1430-count-gumballs.aspx

gumball.com - http://www.gumball.com/1430-count-gumballs.aspx

or TNT - http://tntamusements.net/store/product-info.php?pid341.html

it looks like it would be as much if not more than 850 factoring shipping.  And even if you could find it cheaper than 850, wouldn't people be much more apt to buy 850 than 1430?  Anybody have a good argument for 1430?  

Zeusophophia, I just realized I asked a question in your thread without taking a shot at answering your original question.  That's bad form on my part - please accept my apology.  Regarding your original question, route density is going to be a MAJOR factor.  With a route of singles, drive time is your biggest enemy.  But like others have said, if you can get the route closer together with locations an average of 5 minutes apart and 3 minutes to service, that's 300 stops a week full-time.  Figure an average of a 6 week service cycle you can comfortably take care of 1800 singles full time.  

Truth be told, your average service time will probably be closer to 8 weeks, but who wants to work 52 weeks out of the year!?!  With 1800 locations and 8 week cycle average (your busiest locations will be 3 weeks, your slowest 12-16) you're still giving yourself a week off every month.  You need downtime to locate, maintain equipment and otherwise reap the rewards of all your hard work!   ^-^

1430 because the machine will hold more and why service a gum machine every month or even every two if it isn't mt? 4-6 months is fine

So the only selling point for the 1430 is the machine holds more?  

I personally wouldn't have a 6-month service cycle for ANYTHING, but that's just me - especially in colder weather.  Gumballs get hard and break.  Sometimes the pieces can get wedged in the housing and cause mis-vends or a coin mech breaks.  Checking a machine every 6 months you're really beginning to take your chances at the location owner considering you an absentee vendor.  Say what you will, but a gumball machine sitting there broken for 5-6 months is pretty much the definition.  Also, most of my locations build up quite a bit of dust and debris and the coin mech can get pretty disgusting after 2-3 months with sticky kid hands.  

Although, I suppose you could take 2-3 days every other month and all you do is sample vends and clean coin mechs (no money collection).  That way you're still servicing your machine without bogging down.  You could have a 3 month service cycle where twice a year you clean machines and sample vend only; then twice a year do a FULL service refilling and collecting.  I'd be okay with that.  

To each his own. I'm just giving my 2cents...

I would not want a service cycle to any location of longer than 4mos.

Lots of reasons why you would want to service your equipment every 4mos or less.

Here are a few:

Equipment gets dirty and needs cleaning whether it's being used or not.

People put drinks, food, etc on your machines and the lids get filthy.

Kids have messy hands and really get your globe dirty.

Some locations will be flat-out DUSTY and your machine will look like it's been in storage for a year after only a couple months.

People will put stickers or use a marker/pen to put inappropriate comments on your machine...you don't want that on location for months and months before you notice it.

You can't count on locations to call you if equipment is out-of-order

Inoperable equipment earns you ZERO dollars on location. Every week that goes by costs you money when the machine is broken.

Although the location could call you but doesn't when there's a breakdown, they still blame you for the inoperable equipment being unusable for weeks and weeks.

Every day your equipment sits in a location while out-of-order is a GREAT day for another vendor to come in and take your spot.

I love seeing out-of-order signs on other vendors' equipment when I am out locating. ;)

Businesses close without warning all the time.

Once a business closes with your equipment locked inside, you need to act quickly to recover your property.

Your chances of ever seeing your equipment again when servicing only every 6mos are a lot lower than someone who services every 3mos.

The bottom line is this: If I have to wait 6mos to service a location in order to make money in that business, then I either have:

1. Too many heads in there
  2. The wrong price-point on my product
  3. The wrong product for sale
  4. Or just a crappy location that doesn't merit my having any equipment in there

If I take care of items 1-3 above and I still can't make satisfactory profits servicing inside of 4mos, then I consider #4 is the problem and get a new home for my equipment.

And even if you could find it cheaper than 850, wouldn't people be much more apt to buy 850 than 1430?

That has been my experience.

I've had competitors selling the smaller gumballs and I seem to do better with the 850.

If you are the only one vending GB in your location, 1430 is probably fine.

But, if you share locations, 1430 could hurt your sales if the other vendor is doing 850.

I use a lot of 1430 gum and the customers won't know the difference. When I changed not one person noticed the change.

Why make the change? An extra $145 revenue per box. Less ordering. Shipping about the same. I've got a ton of the rocket wheels and brushes.

The reason for using the panel head is that you can add a cab back if you need more capacity. Soooo if you set your route up for four months the slowest spots get a machine with no cab backs and at busier spots you can add one or even two cab backs as needed to balance the route.

I agree on the worry about stale gum but that is why you should buy quality to begin with. It's tough starting out to get fresh product. The worst gum on the planet is the year old stuff at SAMs

I use a lot of 1430 gum and the customers won't know the difference. When I changed not one person noticed the change.

Maybe they don't notice if there's no other GB around.

My experience is that people do notice when there's a head of 850 next to a head of 1430....the difference in size is pretty noticeable.

I agree on the worry about stale gum but that is why you should buy quality to begin with. It's tough starting out to get fresh product. The worst gum on the planet is the year old stuff at SAMs

Guess I'm lucky.

The GB at my local Sams are never more than 2-3 mos old.

Maybe they don't notice if there's no other GB around.

My experience is that people do notice when there's a head of 850 next to a head of 1430....the difference in size is pretty noticeable.

Yeah. You're right there. Most of my GB locations are all mine. So far any way.

Havending  is correct, in order to be successful in vending you must learn to locate machines yourself its as simple as that !!!!!!.

I second this. Not to mention you form your relatioship with the owner right from the day your machine is placed there. In my humble opinion that is very important

Archived