Vendo 511 Door won't open

moondog

Just spent two hours trying to get the door open on this infernal, spawn of Satin, Vendo machine.  Can't get the T handle to pop far enough out to turn it.  This thing was acting up about a month ago and I got it to work by removing a white plastic piece that was hanging loose.  The flange is fine and the T handle was working until today. Anybody have any ideas short of my first inclination which involves a lot of C-4.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember seeing any white plastic pieces, except for the coin slot, in these Vendo's, unless it is part of the inner door.

But how would it get where you pulled it out from?

confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif

Cajun

You probably have, but try pushing as hard against the door while turning the handle if you can.  Also try pulling hard on the T-handle with channel locks or vise grips.  You probably have had a retaining ring come off inside the T-handle.  The white plastic is probably just a piece of the coin chute but I can't imagine why it would also be broken.

Tannerite

Jk Jk

I thought you said that you'd replace all your vendos and Dixie's with royals by the end of the year, a couple years back

I don't remember seeing any white plastic pieces, except for the coin slot, in these Vendo's, unless it is part of the inner door.

But how would it get where you pulled it out from?

confused.gif confused.gif confused.gif

Cajun

Somehow I knew you two would be of little help  ;D  ;D  ;D

You probably have, but try pushing as hard against the door while turning the handle if you can.  Also try pulling hard on the T-handle with channel locks or vise grips.  You probably have had a retaining ring come off inside the T-handle.  The white plastic is probably just a piece of the coin chute but I can't imagine why it would also be broken.

It's a Vendo Randy - why wouldn't it be broken?

Just spent two hours trying to get the door open on this infernal, spawn of Satin, Vendo machine.  Can't get the T handle to pop far enough out to turn it.  This thing was acting up about a month ago and I got it to work by removing a white plastic piece that was hanging loose.  The flange is fine and the T handle was working until today. Anybody have any ideas short of my first inclination which involves a lot of C-4.

I'll come an pick it up. I have a nice DN I will gladly trade you.

I'll come an pick it up. I have a nice DN I will gladly trade you.

Allen. either you finally got too much sun or that Dixie must be full of tumbleweeds.  Sure I'll trade, we could make it a full day and go around and swap out my last four Vendos for your Dixies  ;D  ;D  ;D

I had this same issue a few months back on a Vendo ... I had to use a lot of spray lubricant and channel locks but I was finally able to get the T lock to pop loose.  I had nearly given up. 

Allen. either you finally got too much sun or that Dixie must be full of tumbleweeds.  Sure I'll trade, we could make it a full day and go around and swap out my last four Vendos for your Dixies  ;D  ;D  ;D

That would be awesome. I prefer Vendos any day.

That would be awesome. I prefer Vendos any day.

Let's do it !!!  It will give me great solace knowing those turds will spend the rest of their days in purgatory  ;D  ;D  ;D

I had this same issue a few months back on a Vendo ... I had to use a lot of spray lubricant and channel locks but I was finally able to get the T lock to pop loose.  I had nearly given up. 

How did you fix it once you got it open?

It requires a legitimate repair moondog, not one of your MacGyver bandaid/paperclip fixes that you use on Vendos and complain about them never working right  ^-^

I was curious as to the specific flaw (aside from the fact that it's a Vendo) that causes this malfunction.  My personal favorite fix for a Vendo requires a railroad track and a deep lake  ;D  ;D  ;D

Friday fun fact: since I have been in business, I have never had to replace a handle of any kind, nor anything that affects the function of the door. I would like to associate that fact with the other Friday fun fact that I don't slam doors while simultaneously throwing out lewd phrases and words. I also respect all kinds of people, including people that believe in sinalods. Perhaps your vendos would treat you nicer if you treated them better every now and then. Maybe give them a little grease and a good washing. Pamper them a little.

Friday fun fact: since I have been in business, I have never had to replace a handle of any kind, nor anything that affects the function of the door. I would like to associate that fact with the other Friday fun fact that I don't slam doors while simultaneously throwing out lewd phrases and words. I also respect all kinds of people, including people that believe in sinalods. Perhaps your vendos would treat you nicer if you treated them better every now and then. Maybe give them a little grease and a good washing. Pamper them a little.

I'm still having fun trying to figure out what a sinalods is. :)

I was curious as to the specific flaw (aside from the fact that it's a Vendo) that causes this malfunction.  My personal favorite fix for a Vendo requires a railroad track and a deep lake  ;D  ;D  ;D

Don't be a hater.

Let's do it !!!  It will give me great solace knowing those turds will spend the rest of their days in purgatory  ;D  ;D  ;D

Purgatory? hahaha

Chris - I see you've finally made the jump from angry to delusional  ;D  ;D  ;D   Oddly enough the only machines I've had handle problems with in the last five are the Vendos - three flanges and now this

Take a good ratchet strap and put it all the way around vendor just above the T-Handle and tighten it as tight as you can get it. It may pull the door in far enough to get the handle pass the bezel or at least enough to get a screw drive under handle to pryit out further.

two things will cause this one is vendor isn't level and when locking you have to push handle hard to get the lock to engage because it isn't moving freely in the T-Handle housing.

Second the E-Clip in the housing has gotten mangled and isn't pushing the handle out far enough. Vendo retrofitted  the bezel later and put a plate that housed a lock cover for a padlock. After doing it the handle would barley pop out far enough to turn it. Most of the time it would scrape the bezel. My solution to fix it was on the inside of door where the rubber washer is to seal the hole in the inner door is there are two steel washers a large on and then a smaller one. take the smaller one off and remove the T-Handle. Take that smaller washer and place it in front of E-clip. It should be where it goes back into housing for T-Handle first. Put everything back together. Now the T-Handle will pop out a bit further so it doesn't scrape.the bezel.

D/N 501 E's can be problematic also. I have never seen one the handle would screw out easily. From factory the striker housing for cage nut is as high as it can go. Always great until you take to location and fill it. Then it won't operate smoothly. With a properly adjusted lock after you get past the pressure of the door being tight you should be able to turn the handle out with your thumb with no resistance. 

The fix........ Loosen the 7/16 bolts on the striker plate and let plate move down freely. Then tighten one of the bolts just enough that you can still move it with a little force. On the cage nut loosen the 2 phillips screws just enough the cage houseing is free to move back and forth. Now close the door and crank the handle in tight. That should place the striker plate in the ideal position long enough for you to open the door and tighten the 7/16 bolts. Leave the phillips screw loose so they can float. Check once in awhile to make sure they haven't fallen out. Take white lithium grease and lubricate the stud and also the T-Handle housing.    

Take a good ratchet strap and put it all the way around vendor just above the T-Handle and tighten it as tight as you can get it. It may pull the door in far enough to get the handle pass the bezel or at least enough to get a screw drive under handle to pryit out further.

two things will cause this one is vendor isn't level and when locking you have to push handle hard to get the lock to engage because it isn't moving freely in the T-Handle housing.

Second the E-Clip in the housing has gotten mangled and isn't pushing the handle out far enough. Vendo retrofitted  the bezel later and put a plate that housed a lock cover for a padlock. After doing it the handle would barley pop out far enough to turn it. Most of the time it would scrape the bezel. My solution to fix it was on the inside of door where the rubber washer is to seal the hole in the inner door is there are two steel washers a large on and then a smaller one. take the smaller one off and remove the T-Handle. Take that smaller washer and place it in front of E-clip. It should be where it goes back into housing for T-Handle first. Put everything back together. Now the T-Handle will pop out a bit further so it doesn't scrape.the bezel.

D/N 501 E's can be problematic also. I have never seen one the handle would screw out easily. From factory the striker housing for cage nut is as high as it can go. Always great until you take to location and fill it. Then it won't operate smoothly. With a properly adjusted lock after you get past the pressure of the door being tight you should be able to turn the handle out with your thumb with no resistance. 

The fix........ Loosen the 7/16 bolts on the striker plate and let plate move down freely. Then tighten one of the bolts just enough that you can still move it with a little force. On the cage nut loosen the 2 phillips screws just enough the cage houseing is free to move back and forth. Now close the door and crank the handle in tight. That should place the striker plate in the ideal position long enough for you to open the door and tighten the 7/16 bolts. Leave the phillips screw loose so they can float. Check once in awhile to make sure they haven't fallen out. Take white lithium grease and lubricate the stud and also the T-Handle housing.    

Finally !!!  A concrete solution to this and yes I do have that later model Bezel which makes it hard to get a screw driver under the T handle.  I do have a 4' bar clamp which i will use to clamp that door shut tight and then grab the T handle with some vise grips and hope I can get it loose.  rearranging the washers should be no problem as I've pulled these apart before

Let me know if you want the standard, non-security plate, bezel for it unless you're going to retire it instead.

Thanks Randy but I already have one from my parts machine which I bought on location not realizing it had been dropped at some point - never did vend properly.

• 1 month later...

Well I finally got this POS back to my shop where I can get serious with it.  Only cost me a Hundred and seventy five bucks :lol: and now I've spent the last 4 hours clamping it shut and drilling out the carriage bolts on that infernal hasp.  I clamped it so tight the body was denting and still can't get it open.  After I got the hasp off I was able to pry the T handle out far enough to spin it but no luck.  Next I sawed off the end of  the T handle, thinking that maybe it would just slide open but still no luck.  Since I don't have any plastic explosives handy I'm currently in the process of prying the anti theft plate out far enough to cut a notch wide enough to get a crow bar between the body and the door.  If this golpher didn't have a new VN2512 in it and about a hundred dollars I haul it off to the scrap yard (also has the chill deck in there so that's not an option)  We don't even have any lakes around here so I can't make it a mooring anchor.  Any good ideas (besides the obvious ones) ?

Wow!  This sounds like some kind of total failure of the quicker lock inside the cabinet.  I've never had one of them fail or spin like that without opening before.  It is too bad you hacked off the T-handle because now you don't have much of a way to turn it, though that certainly doesn't sound like it would help anyway.  Good luck with this but it kind of sounds like you're going to have one f'ed up cabinet by the time you get it open.  I know you don't like the Vendos but it's a shame that you won't have a machine to even sell now.

Archived