Vendo 720 live display

TKK

So i have one and im selling cans off of it. However everytime i service it a few selections are red. I open it and nothings wrong. When i close ot everything homes and then they turn green. Its kind of annoying too. As they show sold out or unavailable. Any ideas?

So i have one and im selling cans off of it. However everytime i service it a few selections are red. I open it and nothings wrong. When i close ot everything homes and then they turn green. Its kind of annoying too. As they show sold out or unavailable. Any ideas?

It's a stinkin' Vendo - what do you expect?

Make sure that the physical depth settings are correct for every column.  With the products pushed against the rear spacer you should only have room to fit a finger between the front product and the sold out paddle.  Otherwise you could have a drop sensor that is not sensitive enough and then runs 8 seconds before it times out and records a sold out condition.  During the 8 seconds it can vend 1-3 cans.

• Thanks 1

This machine doesnt have drop sensors then? It bases off of motor switches like the single price vendos? Or does it have sensors but only to see if product fell but not to keep spinning the scoop? How can i check for the weak motor?

Yeah, I forgot that the V max uses grey cam motors with a single switch on each.  If the switch fails then you have to replace the motor as the switch is soldered to the circuit board on the motor.  I would bet that your products just aren't close enough to ensure that the sold out paddles are always held down.  If the spacing is marginal then shifting of the products when the column is reloading can cause the sold out switch to be intermittently activated.  If the adjustment doesn't work then you need to closely inspect the the wiring from the sold out switches to the logic board.  I believe the live displays also have a tiny circuit board for them to interface to the logic board.  So the sold out harness goes into the door and into the little circuit board before the logic board.  This is because of the red and green LEDs in the selection buttons.  If you need that little board I have one in stock.

This machine doesnt have drop sensors then? It bases off of motor switches like the single price vendos? Or does it have sensors but only to see if product fell but not to keep spinning the scoop? How can i check for the weak motor?

To my knowledge, all Vendo 720's have no drop sensors but have sold-out paddles instead, just like single-price machines but also just like almost every Dixie Narco machine ever made prior to the 2012'ish.  Having drop sensors don't make the machines better in my opinion, but I do prefer them when they work properly.  Sold-out paddles are tried and true technology.

• Thanks 1

This is a common problem with the Vendo V-Max series.  When vending cans we have set all our 720's to a max depth of three cans per column.  Even so, we frequently have this same problem occur.  It seems to be a problem with the gauge bars.  If you notice a light on, before reclosing the door and look underneath at the cans.  You'll probably see a can stuck.  On many occasions it can even jam the column next to it.

This machine has a multitude of adjustments with the gauge bars, shims, clips.  Look closely at your gauge bars and make sure they are placed in the proper slots, front and back.  Start by looking at columns that work properly and duplicate that setting on the others.  If that doesn't work, but new gauge bars, as it is quite possible that yours are bent, if that still doesn't solve it, convert the problematic columns to double depth (yes, only double depth).  In two cases converting to double depth was the only way the problem could be solved.

We've found the two outside columns (left and right side) to cause the issues, while the center columns seem to work best.  I personally think the drop tray was designed to closely to the rotors.  Once set up correctly, these are great machines, but they really require someone that understands what they are doing. 

The original Vmax's had delivery chutes with liners on them that would warp over time.  This caused the 4th cans in the back to hang up and not slide down.  Whether using a lined delivery chute or the newer coated chute you need to make sure they are always clean.  Then you must use all the proper clips (4 actual clips for cans 4 deep) and use the correct side shim and gauge bar position with a straight gauge bar.  All of this will work problem-free for cans.  As to other products, you must use the proper setups or you'll have vend problems.  It's all really very simple - follow the directions.

Well maybe thats my problem, maybe the shims and all that as i have no shims on the machine i thought it was shimless like usi machines.

Well maybe thats my problem, maybe the shims and all that as i have no shims on the machine i thought it was shimless like usi machines.

The 721 is shimless, the 720 is an entirely different series and is not shimless.

Text me if you need some shims for it.  That would certainly explain why this is happening - nothing to hold the cans back.

Do the motors have switches or not? The 721 does not. On the 721vending is controlled by the depth setting in the programming, and a slide spacer on the rotor.

If it's a bubble front live display then it is a V21 model because I think all live display Vmax's were flat fronts.  In that case you have two drop sensors.  You also have a package clip that is adjusted in each rotor to match the size of your products.  Make sure you follow the diagram on the inner door as to how to position the package clip for cans and other products.  The vend sensors can be the cause of your multiple vends as I said in an earlier post.  If the board doesn't detect a vend then it can vend up to 4 products before flagging the column as sold out. 

I think you'll need to carefully inspect both drop sensor cables from the sensors to the board to make sure there's no damage to either one or the cables.  Don't confuse these cables with the temp sensor cable as they look the same. 

Most of the time I have found multiple can vends to be caused either by wrong depth setting (4 for cans) or extra cans/bottles under the chute retarding the vend sensors.

• Like 1

At Pepsi, we never set 720's to vend 4 deep cans. Everything had to be perfect. Straight gauge bars, correct clips, straight delivery chute. Too many service calls because drivers would keep chute clean. Wouldn't clean up after can got pinched and burst. With the V21, it all went away. 

You should verify if you have a Vendo 720 or Vendo 721 live display. On the left side of the door there will or should be a metal 2 inch x 5 inch plate with all the info. The plate will say BASIC UNIT, SERIAL NUMBER, MODEL, POWER REQUIREMENTS and AMPERAGE. 

The Vendo 721 will have metal sliding product retainers for each column. These metal sliders move up and down to allow cans or bottles to be placed inside the vendo 721.

The vendo 720 does NOT have these vertical "sliders".

When the vendo 720 has cans in it, there should be virtually little movement of the cans to the left/right and fore/aft. If you are getting alot of left/right movement or freeplay with the can,  then your CAN SHIM is missing, installed incorrectly or has fallen down. 

When the vendo 720 has cans in it there should be no fore/aft movement of the cans.....if there is, you need to move the BACKSPACER so it is 1/8 of an inch or pinky fingers distance between the last/far/ back can and the backspacer. 

The gauge bar on a vendo 720 should have 2 white shims, placed before the bar's hump with angulation to the right, the gauge bar should be straight as possible if not replace. The gauge bar should be placed in position 2 ( middle) at the back and front of the machine. Hook end of bar goes to the back. 

The drop chute should have a smooth vinyl coat, with no bubbles......the vinyl does bubble up over time. If you run your hand along the chute from back to front, side to side...there should be no air bubbles. The updated can chute from vendo is all metal with no vinyl! If the vendo 720 is dropping cans from multiple columns at the same time then your motor harness needs to be replaced along with the failing motors. It is important to replace harness and motor at the same time.....trust me!

Last, check the motor setting, number 3 should be displayed in the top left quadrant of the round disc. You can call Sanden Vendo tech support, they are friendly, helpful and very knowledgeable. I used to have a Vendo set up guide, unfortunately I am a Windows 10 victim. Good luck I hope this helps. 

Then both of my machines are 721s they have slide up retainers. I have one that has like a fence that comes down as a small platform

A few things come to mind when you have multi-vends or no vend. Multi-vends many times you don't know about because customers won't tell you. No vend sometimes will but as long as they get their money back you may not know. 

On 720 and 721 the control board monitors the amperage of the motor to know if it is jammed. If a jam occurs the motor will draw more current. When this happens the motor will reverse going forward and back for a bit in order to dislodge the jammed product. If it can't dislodge the product it will disable that motor. With keeping that in mind if a motor that was defective it may at times pull too much current. Or maybe something binding the rotor or if the motor was getting weak. If you don't have a spare motor try swapping with a different column to see if the problem follows the motor. 

• 2 weeks later...

So the machine is a 721. I went today and it was off. I checked the chord it was plugged in. Reset the chord button and nothing. No power at all. The red light comes on in the chord but thats it. No ppwer to compressor, validator etc. How can it work and just shut down? Its literally unplugged? Fuse? Switch?

So the machine is a 721. I went today and it was off. I checked the chord it was plugged in. Reset the chord button and nothing. No power at all. The red light comes on in the chord but thats it. No ppwer to compressor, validator etc. How can it work and just shut down? Its literally unplugged? Fuse? Switch?