dixie narco 501t misvends cans occasionally

winning123

Hi All,

Have a dixie narco 501t that has me stumped.  I am getting calls for misvends cans/ machine taking money with no product and everytime I go on site to test vend with change and in diagnostic mode, its flawless.  My only thought is am i loading incorrectly and it misvends after a set number of successful vends? Any help or guidance especially in the loading cans. 

One possibility is that your cams are on the wrong settings.  Does it happen to any selections or just a specific few?  If it's a bad cam setting, the machine may do something such as vend 2 cans, 1 can, and 0 cans (or 1,2,0)  If this is the case, it's almost certainly a bad cam setting.

Here are a few preliminary questions:

Are these selections all 3-deep?

Did the machine begin to do this suddenly after working fine previously?

Does this happen on one selection or several/all?

How many times do you test each selection before you determine it's working fine?

There are several things that could cause this but it is important to go through each one first.  Also, taking money without giving product could be a separate OR a related issue depending on if the machine is taking money properly.

A small possibility that I experienced with a 501e that was doing similar things is a faulty low voltage ground.  You need to troubleshoot all the other issues first, but keep your eyes open for rusty/broken/disconnected grounds.  They are a ***** to find but they can cause all kinds of havoc when they occur....

I will verify cam settings.  THe location is very vague when attempting to get more information ie  which specific choice or entire machine ,  is dollar bill used, time of day.  

I will verify cam settings and its a strong possibility they are off since you mentioned. And verify grounding. 

I usually vend three times cash each selection and three times in motor test mode.  Maybe cash only 6 times each selection from now on.

Machine worked decent but mis vends here and there been on location 3 weeks.  week 1 no problems.  Week 2: 2 mis vends.

Week 3:  Did it twice in 2 days. Maybe more cant get straight answer from these people to save the world.

I had a similar problem on a 501T for a customer.  I had been to the machine two times without finding a problem and on the third visit someone finally told me that it only happened with bills not being credited.  That led me to test the validator over and over until I finally had it miss a credit.  I replaced the validator and it was fixed.  Some problems are tough to narrow down. 

Just keep testing it over and over with coins and bills until you find a problem.

Got back from the location and asked workers who actually use the machine . It was only one selection in a double column that's off.  The selection was very low also.  In its low state, I still test vended and it was vending. It's two deep.  Cam set to 2.   Double wide columns seem to be dogging me.

Outside of that, I did notice my cam settings were  set to 1 for single wide columns eventhough its three deep cans.  Vends properly and when set to 2 and 3 i get double vends every other vend. Left at 1.

Do have plans to remove ardac coinco9300L and replace with Coinco Mag32r Mars 6512.

Why is it 2-deep? Cans should be 3-deep. Look at the shims and compare a working column to the malfunctioning one. For triple deep cans there should be 2 ribbed shims on each side and the gold / green cam assy set for 6 notches which is hole #2 on the gold cam.

Unless you're selling bottles or 16 oz cans in that column you need to set it for 3 deep vending.  Only doing two deep is probably what's wrong.  And stop playing with your narrow columns - they are working so leave them alone.

Have you had the machine act up for you?

You must stand there and vend a week’s worth of product with coins and bills. What Jo said to Bill bob who told Sue before she called you, may turn out to be very different from the actual failure.  

If someone is shaking the machine and the anti cheat devices are broken (very common) a can will fall out, and the next paid vend gets no product.

If you have a bad brake on one of the motors the machine may drop 2 cans and the next vend gets no can.

Walta

I have experienced three problems that I've found unique to the Dixie 501t models.

1. We found double columns were misvending as a result of the antitheft clips that hang from the rotors.  They look like little triangles the hang down.  Once we removed the clips, no more problems with the double columns.  All our machines had the plastic clips, but some were produced with metal clips.  This problem occurred maybe once in every 40 vends.
  2. The single columns were misvending occasionally (but frequently enough to easily reproduce) on the third can in the column.  This problem is due to the design of the shim.  When you pull a shim out of the machine you'll notice a small notch that bumps out maybe an extra 1/16 of an inch on the third can.  This lip has caused misvends on three different machines of the exact same design.   In each of these machines they are set up the exact same way, but one or maybe to columns will not vend properly and it is almost always the Diet Coke.  I have not taken a micrometer to cans, but my guess is that they are just slightly wider than the others causing it to be held in place by the shim when other cans would drop.  To remedy, you can either pull the shim and grind off that little lip (make sure to wire brush it so no sharp edges are left to pucture can, or you can reduce the column to a two deep, especially if diets don't sell well.
  3. The last problem is unique to selling bottled water in these machines.  Since they were designed for can's, water bottles will fall sideways against the flap door if the machine door is not closed tightly before you begin to tighten the t-handle.  Just lean up against the door when you close it and then tighten.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Chard.  I went out to test vend today and i did have a 1 in 40 misvend.  I will verify clips.  Did notice in my case the machine would take money give credit, press button and no motor action just change back with no vend.  Next vend from the same selection gives a message selection not available/make another selection.  Every other selection is flawless

If that is the case the switch on the motor is probably bad.  It's the switch that has the little lever that rides on the cam.  When you get the make another selection error it indicates there is a problem with that motor.  Typically it'll just be the switch that rides that cam.  I have rarely seen the vend motor be the problem on these machines, never the less, you might consider having once available to replace the old one should the switch not do the trick.

If you have single motor switches because it's an SIID machine then it's a bad motor switch.  You should change them all to ensure that you don't continue to have this issue on other motors too.  I have switches for them if you need them.  Email me at rbepic4gatgmaildotcom.

Archived