New Appliance Dolly

Brrrr....reminds me of when I had one like that the small wheels in the back folded on me, dropped machine.  For over 20 years I have used the one with the small wheels permanently on the front, never had a problem since, and I move a lot of machines.

On a related note... anyone ever use the piano movers or whatever they are called?  It seems like they are very practical but only on smooth surfaces.  Not as good as a pallet jack, but reliable and more maneuverable.  They are just so damn expensive.

My dolly (Stevens Appliance) is what I use, put a removable shelf on it for tall snack machines, it moves several machines a week and never complains.  Wouldn't give it up for anything.

18 hours ago, AngryChris said:

On a related note... anyone ever use the piano movers or whatever they are called?  

Yes, I have a set I bought used... when I have to clamshell a machine thru a door they are perfect; but you are right, they like flat and even surfaces.   The Stevens dolly and pallet jack are my 2 go-to's.  I like magliner stuff in general but like LA points out, they may not hold up well under the weight of a vendor.

1 minute ago, Southeast Treats said:

Yes, I have a set I bought used... when I have to clamshell a machine thru a door they are perfect; but you are right, they like flat and even surfaces.   The Stevens dolly and pallet jack are my 2 go-to's.  I like magliner stuff in general but like LA points out, they may not hold up well under the weight of a vendor.

I used a couple different magliners for almost 4 years before I got into business for myself.  They were great and very strong, but this convertible dolly I got at Sam's Club for something like $79 or $99 has done just as good of a job as the magliners did in the past.  In all fairness, the magliners were much older and took way more abuse regularly, but for the money the cheap stuff works well.  Moving machines is a different animal though... I am just interested in a cheap solution that I can take to make moves go faster when I pay the mover to do it, or a solution I can do for small jobs within the same building.

28 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

I am just interested in a cheap solution that I can take to make moves go faster when I pay the mover to do it, or a solution I can do for small jobs within the same building.

My pallet jack came from U-Line, it is the short and narrow version that is well sized for moving vending machines.  I use it in the warehouse to move machines by myself all the time.  Any machine without legs get put onto two 4x4's for storage.   We use it for most deliveries now as well.  Two man move on and off the trailer for safety, and again using one 4X4 to tip it off the jack and put it on the floor.  The Stevens gets used when we need to drop a machine into a tight space or handle an incline that's not comfortable with the jack.  I have also been using heavy duty furniture sliders under most machines to ease them into position and protect the customer's floor.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1366/Pallet-Trucks/Uline-Pallet-Truck-Short-Narrow-Fork-36-x-21

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Movealls-Reuse-Furniture-Movers-8-per-Pack-83036N12/203566381

Anyone used Innolift? It seems like a great-ish idea, but I'm not sure if it would hold up. (After moving my first soda machines last week, I have quite a bit more respect for the weight of vendors.)

It looks like they're US site needs some work, but here's their UK Site: www.innoliftuk.co.uk

13 hours ago, AZVendor said:

You can buy lifts like that here in the US made by companies in the US.  Just look for Material Handling sites.

I'm all for US made. What I can't seem to find anywhere else is the self-loading feature. Powered jacks are one thing, but a powered jack that goes with you? That's what I found fascinating.

I searched several materials handling websites with no success. Anywhere more specific where I can search?

I didn't actually read the details of the lifts so I didn't see that they will enable self-loading.  I don't know if you'll find that feature here.  If you need to load machines on a truck or load the lift itself then invest in a Tommy Lift for your truck.  It is purpose built and will outwork any fancy lift like this.  Then you can put your money in less expensive equipment like a Dutro and short pallet jack.

Archived