Where do you purchase your stock?

On 10/10/2017 at 11:56 AM, Executive Vending Solution said:

As a new vending machine operator I'm trying to locate the most efficient and cost effective items. I have a beverage and snack machine. Is there anywhere you suggest for the best pricing in bulk? Thank you very much.  

For 1 machine just go to the local Walmart.

The big vending suppliers have minimum orders and are frankly priced higher than Walmart, as they provide the convenience of delivery that only large operators need.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck to you in your new venture! 

Like they said, Sams and Walmart, maybe Costco.  Most of the smaller local wholesalers were run out of business long ago by those big box stores.  For larger quantities there are choices like Vistar, if you live near one of their merchant mart cash and carry locations that could be viable, but they have a 25 case minimum for delivery.  Therein lies the small operator dilemma for snack machine products, how do you maintain a wide selection without having to throw away too many out of date products?  Without a larger base of good producing locations you are always fighting that battle.... can drinks have a nice long shelf life (except for diet drinks) and usually enough turnover to not have any worries about expired product, which gives it a big edge over snacks for new operators.  Bottled carbonated drinks do not last as long as cans so avoid that until you have the size and experience to deal with it as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Sams club is the way to go, as most of their stuff is marked for individual resale. Can soda is available in so many places, but for a single machine stick with Sam's or Costco.  No reason to be hunting sales for a single machine. Now try to prioritize getting more locations. You need 3 to 5 snack machines to avoid throwing away too many stales. Avoid bottle machines until you have 5 to 10 locations. If you must have bottles go with 16.9oz. Much more readily available. Good luck.

The selection at Costco in this town sucks, there are 3 Sam’s Clubs and all three carry various different things than the other. I like BJ’s Wholesale they also carry some things that Sam’s doesn’t.

I believe the last time I talked to Vistar they had a 500 every 2 weeks minimum, which I did go through that much in at the time at that time. It was the every 2 week commitment that I wasn’t sure if I wanted to get into then. 

I have been thinking about calling them lately to get a list of what they have, cause I think I just might be ready to commit. 

I also still use Walmart for some items that I can’t find from most of the above. Big Lots surprisingly enough has had some really good deals of a couple/few items. 

8 hours ago, Cat6 said:

I believe the last time I talked to Vistar they had a 500 every 2 weeks minimum

I order from Vistar out of the Orlando area; they have a 25 unit minimum order, but they have never specified to me that I have to place x number of orders.  I do end up ordering about every other week but sometimes go an extra week in between and it's not a problem.  I picked up a storage freezer a while back and have been ordering their frozen pastry as well, so I can get better variety and product rotation than just the selection at Sam's.

I’m glad to hear that the time frame isn’t concrete, I was a bit leary thinking product would be being delivered that I may not need that fast and piling up. lol. I’m gonna call them and check back into it. 😉👍🏼

I think Southeast and I, (Southwest), are the same region with Vistar. I could be wrong, but I’ll find out. I haven’t had a chance to contact them just yet. I had a few Cub Scout, AHGirl Scout, and school activities sucking up any and all “free” time I may have thought I’d have. LoL “free” time 😂🤣😅 what’s that? I meant sleep time. 😜😜

I buy from Costco, Sam's and Amazon.  Used to have a distributor for the things I couldn't get at Costco and Sam's, but the minimums were too high for my 8 machines and I've found that I can get as cheap or cheaper prices using Amazon subscribe and save.  

Archived