Vending Machines at Construction Sites

Hello, 

I am new to vending and I am looking put a few soda machines at some nearby construction sites. If someone could help address some of my questions/concerns below it would be greatly appreciated. 

What are the general opinions for putting vending machines on construction sites? I know it will be more upkeep with the machines but are the returns worth it? I plan to locate them at sites with minimum average of 50 workers on site. I also plan to post surveillance camera posters to help deter vandalism. Maybe even fake cameras.  

What soda machine would you suggest for this application? The machines would be outside and exposed to dust. I do plan to build a roof over the machines to cut down on the direct sun and rain. I am looking for a large capacity machine that can vend cans, bottles, gatorade, and monster.  

If the locations perform well with a soda machine, I was thinking of adding a combo machine. I was thinking an AMS Outsider. What other outside combo machines would you suggest?

What other suggestions do you have for vending at construction sites?

Thank you for your time,

Anthony

Me personally I would not put an AMS Outsider on a construction site. If its going to be outside on the job site then I would get a DN501E or Vendo 511. The guys on the job site are going to beat the crap out of whatever you place on site. I should see if you could get a working machine for $800 or less. Also are any convenience stores are near by the work site. 

If you're willing to lose a machine or two go ahead.  Posters won't stop any vandalism.  Construction sites change all the time so you will find that you are moving machines around as the construction continues which means emptying them, moving them and refilling possibly several times.  

Thanks for the words of advice.

There are not any convenience store right near by. A few blocks away or a five minute car ride. 

There is a lot of construction in my area. I would target the larger projects that are 3+ years long. 

Would you suggest one of the steel guards that go around the front of the machine? 

I was thinking about getting a VMS and telemeter to help with informing me when something goes wrong. Do you feel these systems are worth the investment? 

I have definitely thought about this as well before.

The main hurdles are moving and security.

For single family residential construction they tend to move along fairly often as they finish building a tract.

High rise stuff tends to have space issues.

Also, construction workers can break almost anything.

Last, even though there are no c stores most sites will have roach coaches roll by once or twice a day. So you will still have competition.

If I were to do it I would have a guy fabricate a steel pallet, find a cheap cage, and weld the cage onto the pallet. Stick a cheap single price machine inside <300 bucks. If they need to move ask someone to help you load the machine onto your truck with a telehandler. (Slip em a 20 if you have to)

Also, what part of the country you in?

Edited by orsd

Construction workers can destroy anything, but they spend money. Use a Dixie Narco they are about as tough as it gets with a cage it may survive the construction workers.

Yes you want a card reader and make use of the telemetry for sure.  The card reader will increase your sales and reduce the cash exposure in the machine and the data will make servicing easier, as well as tracking location performance.  Depending on how many locations you have you may be able to use the data within the processors program rather than a separate VMS. 

I use ParLevel and highly recommend them for a VMS.  They will get you off on the right foot.  I believe they are using Nayax card readers and telemeters now, which is a good product; and the card reader offers the "chip dip" feature, that is unique to their product as far as I know. 

Ever considered a roach coach or dirt cheap vending trailer to bounce around from site to site? Itd be much easier to move and theft and damages would be not existant. 

1 hour ago, Job Site Vending said:

Is the DN 600E as reliable as the DN 501E?

It's the same machine but taller.  Thing is... They hold a little more and so the motors may have done more work over the years.  I don't like them because they are a bit harder to move and don't sit level with snack machines but that wouldn't be a problem for you.

You have a little more wear and tear issues on higher vend count units. More weight sits on each rotor in the taller 600s so stuff wears faster. On the E series the trouble spots are bent rotors (you will see scrapes in the middle of the rotors where they scrape the column walls, and wallowed our drive holes in the ends of the rotors, where the motor shaft go into the rotors.   These holes will sometimes go loose due to wear in older machines, causing misvends because the timing is thrown off by the wear. To check for this issue grab the rotor and try to turn it back and forth, there should be little slop (up to a couple milimeters is ok, anything more and issues will start to happen. I’ve seen really beat up junkers that had like 5- 10 degrees of slop. The last issue is really only limited to 600s and that is bent/ bowed column walls.

But again these are all only issues on machines with a ton of vends on them, but the 600s develop these issues a bit sooner as there is more weight in each column if the machine is loaded to the top.

Even with all that said, the E series as a whole is rock solid, and other than the above a 276E, 501E, and 600E are all equally awesome reliable machines. Honestly I would expect the average E series machine to last no less than 25-30 years, and 100-200,000 vends.