Help! Crane 455 compressor not kicking on

Lava24

Hi all

I have 3 of these machines (crane 455). One of them has an issue with the compressor not kicking on. Normally I figured it was a temp sensor issue but I changed both sensors. I replaced the refer deck with a spare which has a brand new compressor. Tommorow I will try changing out both boards and triac in the machine. It wants to turn out but it "coughs and sputters and stops". I'm wondering what it could be.

Thanks Lacanteen. I put a triac in but I think I need to put in the new 70amp triac (updated version) . After put in another triac (used) it turned on for like 10 seconds and shuts off. Since the power draw I believe I need a higher amp triac.

No, you can't plug them into the wall.  There is a bench testing harness made for them that allowed them to be worked on outside of the machine.  The part number is 16800098 and it's still shown here: https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-6975-d16800098-ap-320-test-harness.aspx.  It's well worth it for anyone who needs to troubleshoot this cooling unit.  I'll look and see if I uploaded the trouble shooting guide to the downloads section here.  It is used in conjunction with this harness.

Bingo!  Here is the troubleshooting guide to use with the 16800098 test harness.  You will need a meter with an amp probe on it to test the compressor current draw.  Again, it's also worth the investment.

Edited by AZVendor

• 5 months later...

I fixed this issue months ago but forgot to close this issue out. I solved this issue. The solution was as follows.

1) The switch was loose so I got a new switch.

2) Both compressors including my spare  needed new air dryers and a freon. Now they blow super cold.

3) After that machine was like new 

Haven't had issues for months.

I had 1 issue unrelated which was a triac replacement.

• 4 years later...
On 7/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, AZVendor said:

No, you can't plug them into the wall.  There is a bench testing harness made for them that allowed them to be worked on outside of the machine.  The part number is 16800098 and it's still shown here: https://www.dsvendinginc.com/p-6975-d16800098-ap-320-test-harness.aspx.  It's well worth it for anyone who needs to troubleshoot this cooling unit.  I'll look and see if I uploaded the trouble shooting guide to the downloads section here.  It is used in conjunction with this harness.

Bingo!  Here is the troubleshooting guide to use with the 16800098 test harness.  You will need a meter with an amp probe on it to test the compressor current draw.  Again, it's also worth the investment.

AZ this is no longer available at DS. Where would I get one if these or better yet how would I make a harness to test a cooling unit in a 455. 

thx in advance 

ken

Edited by Kens Vending

The 455 isn't even related to the 320 that the troubleshooting harness was made for.  You can ask Crane if they ever had such a thing though.  What problem are you trying to solve?

Okay so I bought a 455 a few days ago. I have several National/crane snack machines but this is my first frozen/cold food machine. Anyways, it’s in very nice condition. The first day I had it I plugged it in and it cooled all the way down below zero  however it did take like 3 or 4 hours to do so. I unplugged it and the next day (yesterday) I plugged it back in it keeps repeating the same pattern. It will run (compressor) for 2 minutes the cut off, 5 mins later it will try and kick on twice in a row but won’t start/come on, then 5 minutes later it will kick on and run for 2 mins again which starts the pattern over again. 

note: I took off the back screen and the compressor feel very hot. Could that mean it’s low on Freon?

oh and the screens front and back are clean, the machine is over 4 inches away from the wall, it’s plugged in to a 20 amp circuit with nothing else on it. 

ken

When the compressor comes on for .2 minutes the condenser fan is on. When the compressor shuts off, it shuts off too. However, five minutes later when the compressor tries to kick on twice in a row but fails the condenser fan stays on for the next five minutes when the compressor kicks on and runs for 2 mins. 

That tells me that the triac is supplying power but your compressor is unable to get going.  Didn't the NV455 use separate start and run caps on those?  I would look there.  A leaky cap may not be able to fully recharge in time to restart your pump once some head pressure is built. 

Ok so I made a harness to plug to cooling unit in directly to the wall. It ran flawlessly for 30 mins before I unplugged it. So then I plugged the whole machine back in and it did its same pattern of running 2 mins then the compressor cuts back off ect ect. 

So what do you guys think it could be? Relay?

thanks again for the assistance 

Ken

I’m stumped. I replaced triac, start capacitor,and run capacitor. Still doing the same thing. Compressor runs for 2-3 minutes runs off, then 5 minutes later tries to kick on twice but can’t then 5 minutes later runs for 2-3 minutes and cuts off ect ect. 

Did you try a hard start kit?  That will take the place of the start relay, the run capacitor and the overload.  It that still won't keep it running then you need a new compressor.  It's possible that one of the rotor support springs has come loose from rough handling of the machine or the compressor is just worn out.  Be prepared for a $1000 bill to put a new one in it because it's a large compressor.

Ok I’m waiting on that part to try your suggestion. But I wanted to mention something I noticed. The interior lights (in the door) blink rapidly when the compressor is running (lol for the short time it does run) and when the compressor kicks off the light stops blinking. What could this mean?