What Credit Card Reader do you recommend?

Drcpwen

I'm planning to start  upgrading some of my machines to accept credit cards.  I know my DN5591's will work but I'm not sure about my DN276.  I have some standard and some E series.  Can either of them be upgraded?   I'm also wondering if anyone recommends a particular brand of reader and place to purchase them?  What's a fair price I should expect for the unit and monthly service fee?  Thanks in advance!

We use USA Technologies a g10 is about $300 and the service fee is $7.95 a month with 5.95% transaction fee per swipe. As for your drink machine depending on if they're mdb, dixie narco e series should work with a card reader with some chip updateds to the control board.

I have used most of the popular card readers and settled on USA.  The G10 is a solid unit.  If you prefer to lease purchase  units that will take the costs out monthly over 3 years, but you must order 6 readers at a time.  The DN e series controllers that are SIID's can handle cards, the firmware needs to be version 381.11 or higher (I think 381.41 is the newest version), there is usually a sticker on the control board case.  The older SII board machines can't be upgraded easily as far as I can tell.   

• 3 weeks later...

My 

On 9/21/2019 at 4:26 PM, Southeast Treats said:

I have used most of the popular card readers and settled on USA.  The G10 is a solid unit.  If you prefer to lease purchase  units that will take the costs out monthly over 3 years, but you must order 6 readers at a time.  The DN e series controllers that are SIID's can handle cards, the firmware needs to be version 381.11 or higher (I think 381.41 is the newest version), there is usually a sticker on the control board case.  The older SII board machines can't be upgraded easily as far as I can tell.   

Thanks for all the help!  My Eprom is only 230.01.  Can that be upgraded to 381.11 and if so can you suggest a good place to purchase the upgrade?  I've been told you can ping them to a updated firmware but I'm not sure if that's accurate.  Thanks again.

Uh, no.  You can't upload new software to the eprom, it has to be replaced. Ping, whatever that is.....  I think your eprom being that far back must be a red button SII or SIID board.  They aren't upgradeable to the 381.11 eprom.  In SIID boards you want a blue button board to begin with.

Edited by AZVendor

18 hours ago, Drcpwen said:

My 

Thanks for all the help!  My Eprom is only 230.01.  Can that be upgraded to 381.11 and if so can you suggest a good place to purchase the upgrade?  I've been told you can ping them to a updated firmware but I'm not sure if that's accurate.  Thanks again.

Make sure the service button on your board is blue. If it isn’t toss it and get a replacement on eBay. Less than 100.

As for EPROMs you can technically reflash some of them but you need some special tools, and a copy of the 381.41 software to begin with. When I write EPROMs I never reuse chips, they are like 2 bucks from suppliers. This is because it does have a useful lifespan, and different chips erase differently. Some are erasable by the programmer, some need UV light, while others need Xrays (these are considered disposable in practice.)

For most vendors who don’t enjoy screwing with electronics its much easier to just buy the prewritten EPROM from Dixie Narco (now Crane MS) or a supplier.

For what it's worth, I sent a SIID board with a red button off to VE for repair and it came back with a sticker that says 381.41, so apparently it's been upgraded.  What I don't know though is what the other connector is for that exists on the blue button but not the red button.  So, if they have a way to do it, then I guess the red button models are not trash OR there are certain red models that can be upgraded.

• 4 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 8:34 AM, AZVendor said:

Uh, no.  You can't upload new software to the eprom, it has to be replaced. Ping, whatever that is.....  I think your eprom being that far back must be a red button SII or SIID board.  They aren't upgradeable to the 381.11 eprom.  In SIID boards you want a blue button board to begin with.

I have a new machine that has a blue button with Eprom 318.01....not 318.11.  Just to confirm it won't accept a credit card reader?  If so, where is the best place to get a new chip and how much can I expect to pay.

Thanks, Dan

• 3 weeks later...