Why doesn't Coke use electronic locks on their machines?

PinkJazzX

I was wondering, is there any particular reason Coke doesn't use electronic locks on their machines? Pepsi uses electronic locks on all HVV-style machines, D-N BevMax 2/3/4, Vendo Vue, and Royal Vision. I presume the new Social machine will also have an electronic lock.

Could it be a patent-related issue? Does Pepsi own patents on the electronic locking mechanisms?

I hate those things. They took a simple and reliable mechanism and turned it into an over engineered pita.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Thats what I was thinking. Wait until the mechanism doesn't work. Its like a remote locking/unlocking mechanism for a car, but with no manual key entry backup.

JD

These locks are horrible.

The local bottler in my area has lost all control of key distribution. Other people have keys for my machines, I have keys for other people's machines. I talked with a guy working for another vending company, and our keys for the HVVs had the same serial. Recently, one of my HVVs got opened and the coin mech disappeared.

Not impressed at all.

FYI, if you are using third party machines the bottlers only use a total of 5 or so different keys. There is nothing prohibiting you from putting in your own locks. It just means you will need to meet the tech at the machine for a service call or swap the locks out again. Not a big deal takes about 30 seconds.

If you buy you own locks don't just get generic off the shelf, you will have the same problem only to a lesser degree. Spend a few extra bucks and get "registered" locks. A key set that only YOU will have.

• 5 months later...

Seems like manufacturers of their own vendors for use in designated territory's use the same key. I had four machines shipped from Massachusettsand 5 from Florida. I know have 18 keys that are all the same. Just for the heck of it, I was in Minneapolis and saw a machine like mine. I tried my vendor key and it opened up the machine instantly. That is not good because the bottom half that holds the dba and coinco changer is assessable. People are paying $5,600 each for these machines, they should at least have different keys. I would hate to service one of my machines and discover that the dba, Coinco changer and money box gone. Would be like a $750.00 hit. Just so the manufacturer saves some money on locks.

Makes me want to change out my locks for about $9.00 each on Amazon Pepsi Coke Snack Vending Machine Lock & Keys Brand New or place a ugly high security lock on the machine like bathroom condom machines.

I usually leave the bottlers lock in the T handle, but I install a hockey puck lock on all my outdoors full size machines for additional security. I've not really felt the need for that additional security when the machine is inside a business, but at that point, I change out the lock on the T handle.

• 5 months later...

Those electronic locks are a nightmare. If one goes bad there are a couple of things you can try to open them. If those remedy's do not work you literally have to break into the machine. I dislike them with a passion.

99% of machine makers use factory locks.

they are meant to be convinent, not secure.

You should always change the locks.

bulk venders and amusment do this also.

like some others said. contact a vendors lock supply and get a registered combination.

Never use factory locks unless you have too.

it's like buying a house and using thier default keys.

everyone else has a key to your stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree,

Reinventing the wheel. I have a Vendo 511 with a remote key which I'd bet money will go bad sooner than later. I rigged a "kill switch" accessable from the lower lip of the machine. Apparently it's a real pain in the posterior to take the machine back to the standard barrel lock. Aargh!!!

Seems like manufacturers of their own vendors for use in designated territory's use the same key. I had four machines shipped from Massachusettsand 5 from Florida. I know have 18 keys that are all the same. Just for the heck of it, I was in Minneapolis and saw a machine like mine. I tried my vendor key and it opened up the machine instantly. That is not good because the bottom half that holds the dba and coinco changer is assessable. People are paying $5,600 each for these machines, they should at least have different keys. I would hate to service one of my machines and discover that the dba, Coinco changer and money box gone. Would be like a $750.00 hit. Just so the manufacturer saves some money on locks.

Makes me want to change out my locks for about $9.00 each on Amazon Pepsi Coke Snack Vending Machine Lock & Keys Brand New or place a ugly high security lock on the machine like bathroom condom machines.

the lock at Amazon is a standard keyed #1452 lock ebay sellers has these for $5.00. The two machines I bought from refurbishers had these locks in them.

• 2 years later...

How do I get past one of these electronic locks and replace it with a T-Handle?

You don't. Unless you want to do something silly like replace the entire door. ( Unless, it's a refurb that's just had the Tri-teq stuff bolted in. You might be able to replace that without too much trouble. ) 

Archived