Here we go again. sighhhhh

I will always defer the right of final judgement on any machine to the people that operate them. In your case, you like USI. Some people do, many don't. For me, the lack of parts availability and their higher cost alone, regardless of whether its 10% or 40%, would be enough to keep me from ever putting them on a route. A USI doesn't make more money than an AP or National, and if an AP is cheaper to repair and maintain, you will win in the long run by not using USI. I also need to point out that a Dixie 501T is WAY different than a 501E. I don't care for the 501T myself. Its not a "terrible" machine, but they fell short of the mark with it. The 501E was much better, and is one of the best, if you know how to operate it and shim it properly. Product doesn't usually get stuck in a 501E unless you shim it wrong, or load it wrong. The P series Dixies don't even require shims, improving even more on the 501E model style.

All manufacturers had lemon machines. That's not the only thing I look at when I decide to advise people away from a manufacturer. I look at parts availability, parts cost, tech support availability (all those are terrible with USI), ease to service (USI refrigeration decks and satellite machines are a nightmare to service), ease of operator use, overall machine build quality, thought put into machine design and engineering, and so on. As a technician, I have an everyday first hand opportunity to assess machine reliability based on the above criteria.

If you can make USI work for you, great! I want to see vending operators make money. If they can do that with or without my technical input, then that is fine with me. I'm not making any money off of my opinion. ;)

I inherited a free, large usi combo with a location I found. Bad compressor and a few bad motors. When I called my tech about the compressor, he said he would not work on the machine.

I had my mover pick it up, I got lucky he didn't even charge me, because he sells used equipment. Consensus down here from my understanding is "pass" on the usi's.

I use Dixie and national mainly. I still have the burden of 2 Genesis compost machines which I plan on dumping soon. Repairs on my refurb equipment consist of swapping out the coin mech for the most part. Technical repairs are seldom for now.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I totally agree with you.  An AP-7600 is a superior machine but it's not fair to compare everything to a 7600.  I believe my royal can vendors are superior to my dixie can vendors but I prefer dixie narco simply because EVERYONE knows how to fix them and EVERYONE has parts for them.

Nice thing about the Royals is how often you don't need to repair them versus the Dixies and Vendos.

Which model USI's are you looking at buying & are they brand "new" or refurbished?

probably their Summit 500, they seem alright?

a Local Vending Distributor carries them as well as a bunch of used equipment. It would be an easy buy...

Nice thing about the Royals is how often you don't need to repair them versus the Dixies and Vendos.

You must have a couple Royals that have run so well they made you a tad biased. ;D   In reality, a well maintained Royal 650, a Dixie 501E, and a Vendo 621 will probably all have the same lifetime, and the same number of repairs needed during that lifetime. 

Maintenance is another story entirely that many operators do not get at ALL.  Simple things like cleaning the condenser coils on cooling decks every six months at least, upgrading bill acceptors and coin changers so you aren't running all MAKAs and Mars 5000s, cleaning slides on bottle drop sodas occasionally, cleaning up soda after a can explodes on a machine, making sure the change in the changer is full during each stop.  Just basic things like that I have to remind longtime vendors here locally and elsewhere when I do tech support calls to do, that, if they were done on a regular basis, the life of the machine, no matter what the brand, would extend far longer. 

*runs screaming for the hills, muttering something under his breath that sounds suspiciously like Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball"*  :blink:

In all seriousness, I smell what you're stepping in. USIs are OK machines. Better than some, worse than others. I'd take a Rowe 4900 over a USI any day of the week, though. Even a three board one. ( Maybe. Crap. I'd have to think about it. ) And yes, the AP 7000 series does set a very high mark for durability. Until some jackass comes along with a welding torch... 

Not Rowe no way..............

I'd take a USI or polyvend before Rowe.. I'd even drink a can of Coors before I'd buy a Rowe.....

Most USi's and Polyvend's problems are tray harnesses. Hell Crane has followed down that same path with the tray harness. Junk Junk

At least AMS was smart enough to make that harness long enough you can remove the tray and sit it down on the floor without disconnecting it. Although I don't like having to push the tray up from the back to remove it.

I'd rather work on a Dixie anytime to any other vendor........Everything about a Dixie is easier from repairs to loading. Even the lights...... It was a superior to all others till the new P board...

Now it is Vendo

Royal boards, cooling decks, loading and troubleshooting lighting are the pits.

Their glassfront is a joke........ If you haven't had a coin jam below the coin mech to cashbox consider yourself lucky.... I have a spare evaporator fan for one. It wasn't cooling because the fan wasn't running so I ordered one from Pepsi took a month to get it. Went out to put it on and the dang thing was running. 

My only Pet peeve with Dixie is it vends to slow. I have seen people kick them waiting on them to vend.

Rockola was a vendor that could deliver..... 

moondog come and get that golpher gremlin out of my Royal 660 and bring it to CA. with you!

I can deal with 11' foot gators all day long!

That Golpher in my Royal is a different animal.

073.gif073.gif073.gif

You must have a couple Royals that have run so well they made you a tad biased. ;D   In reality, a well maintained Royal 650, a Dixie 501E, and a Vendo 621 will probably all have the same lifetime, and the same number of repairs needed during that lifetime. 

Maintenance is another story entirely that many operators do not get at ALL.  Simple things like cleaning the condenser coils on cooling decks every six months at least, upgrading bill acceptors and coin changers so you aren't running all MAKAs and Mars 5000s, cleaning slides on bottle drop sodas occasionally, cleaning up soda after a can explodes on a machine, making sure the change in the changer is full during each stop.  Just basic things like that I have to remind longtime vendors here locally and elsewhere when I do tech support calls to do, that, if they were done on a regular basis, the life of the machine, no matter what the brand, would extend far longer. 

I have eight Royals and I wouldn't know how to fix any of them since I've never had to.  Every time I place a Royal on location I know I won't have any problems whereas with the Vendos, I always get that queasy feelling that I'm stepping in it again.  I've taken apart so many Vendos that I could almost do it in my sleep.  My goal for this year is to replace all my Vendos and even that one Dixie 501e I own with either GIIIs or Merlins. Biased? You bet I'm biased.

I'd rather work on a Dixie anytime to any other vendor........Everything about a Dixie is easier from repairs to loading. Even the lights...... It was a superior to all others till the new P board...

Now it is Vendo

Royal boards, cooling decks, loading and troubleshooting lighting are the pits.

Their glassfront is a joke........ If you haven't had a coin jam below the coin mech to cashbox consider yourself lucky.... I have a spare evaporator fan for one. It wasn't cooling because the fan wasn't running so I ordered one from Pepsi took a month to get it. Went out to put it on and the dang thing was running. 

My only Pet peeve with Dixie is it vends to slow. I have seen people kick them waiting on them to vend.

Rockola was a vendor that could deliver..... 

I 'd rather not work on any of them Roger  ;D  ;D  ;D

We sure have drifted a long way from the discussion point of the original post, haven't we? ;D

Any discussion that includes............. a moondog..............a cajun..............and a kiwi........... is bound to get off topic mate! ;D

Any discussion that includes............. a moondog..............a cajun..............and a kiwi........... is bound to get off topic mate! ;D

Nobody wants to discuss mudboats or airboats?

I also like to watch those krazy azz aussie's do burnouts!

cajun

I never dreamed it would end up where we are now and with all the brand bashing that's occurred.   

I also like to watch those krazy azz aussie's do burnouts!

Don't mention aussie's because if reel jump in on this discussion there will definitely be more bashing..... kiwi bashing that is!!  ;D

All I am saying is that USI machines don't break down as much as you seem to imply (at least I feel like you are implying that they break down a lot) and they certainly don't belong in the same group of seaga, antares, or any of those.

That was my point exactly.... I don't really mind if people dislike USI but to throw them in the group as seaga & antares is a bit unfair!

I doubt we're done yet - when Reel wakes up there's sure to be some more sparks ;D

I doubt we're done yet - when Reel wakes up there's sure to be some more sparks ;D

The day I login & see moderator underneath your username..... is the day when...... ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

The day I login & see moderator underneath your username..... is the day when...... ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

It'd be a cold day in Barstow (aka hell) l!!!

................ might be a good way to shut me up though  ;D

Yep. Preach it, brother. Man do I wish I could fire route drivers for dropping cans of soda and not cleaning them up. I swear that's the biggest problem with the RVV500s and VUE30/40s. And the DN5591s. And the DN5000s. And the... list goes on and on...

Yep. Preach it, brother. Man do I wish I could fire route drivers for dropping cans of soda and not cleaning them up. I swear that's the biggest problem with the RVV500s and VUE30/40s. And the DN5591s. And the DN5000s. And the... list goes on and on...

Wasn't for route drivers I wouldn't make any money   :o  :o

Or the route driver that takes that busted can and sticks it in the bottom of the vendor so the pop goes into the drain pan. Eats the bottom of the drain tube and overflows the drip pan.  :angry:  :angry:

Then you get the call that oil is leaking out of the vendor  :angry:   

Oh and heres the good one. The trash can is sitting next to the vendor  :angry:  

But I don't have time.... I have to get my 20 machines serviced by !:00 because I have to pick my kid up.  :angry:   

Sorry someone else opened up that can of worms.....  :huh:

And why can't I post with more emotions? Just kidding

I have 5 Royals on location and have never had to go and fix them.  I love Royals and I plan on buying them up as long as I can.  I love the 804 in particular.

I have 5 Royals on location and have never had to go and fix them.  I love Royals and I plan on buying them up as long as I can.  I love the 804 in particular.

So that's why I can never find them any more  ;D  Me and my big mouth

Archived