Ridiculous Competition

GumballDragon

There are 2 popular Auto Shop chains that just got DRILLED by competitors.  In my experience, auto shops are just 'ok' but its always the first place newbies chase after.  There are thousands of other options that yield much higher return.  I've positioned myself comfortably in these places; had a single; added a triple; sales are just ok...not great, but not bad....then along come the idiots...for example, today, i checked on one of those; and wham, there it was...some idiot placed another triple next to mine, selling the exact same candy...so, wtf?  why on earth would someone waste a machine like that?  what are they thinking?  I have difficulty trying to comprehend what might be going on inside their brain?  The location was only doing 15-20/month.  So, adding another triple to a location that is only doing 15-20/month, is just not that smart.  When I walk into a small location, and see a triple and a single already positioned there; I will just walk out, and find another location.  Does everyone on this forum do the same?  Would you seriously add another triple?  It's beyond frustrating to see this.  It really pisses me off.  I had another situation in a similar chain auto shop; i had 1 single GB, a competitor added a triple (made sense; at the time i only focused on single GB); and then 1 year later, some idiot added another triple.  Are they stupid?  

3 hours ago, GumballDragon said:

There are 2 popular Auto Shop chains that just got DRILLED by competitors.  In my experience, auto shops are just 'ok' but its always the first place newbies chase after.  There are thousands of other options that yield much higher return.  I've positioned myself comfortably in these places; had a single; added a triple; sales are just ok...not great, but not bad....then along come the idiots...for example, today, i checked on one of those; and wham, there it was...some idiot placed another triple next to mine, selling the exact same candy...so, wtf?  why on earth would someone waste a machine like that?  what are they thinking?  I have difficulty trying to comprehend what might be going on inside their brain?  The location was only doing 15-20/month.  So, adding another triple to a location that is only doing 15-20/month, is just not that smart.  When I walk into a small location, and see a triple and a single already positioned there; I will just walk out, and find another location.  Does everyone on this forum do the same?  Would you seriously add another triple?  It's beyond frustrating to see this.  It really pisses me off.  I had another situation in a similar chain auto shop; i had 1 single GB, a competitor added a triple (made sense; at the time i only focused on single GB); and then 1 year later, some idiot added another triple.  Are they stupid?  

Man, after reading your post I became frustrated too.  Honestly I cant determine if you should be mad at the location for allowing it, the other individual who put their machine there, or yourself for not selling in 6 heads =P hahaha.  Regardless I dont think its right.  Almost reminds me of fishing on a lake and your catching fish and another boat pulls up within 10 feet of you...  

4 hours ago, GumballDragon said:

This is normal in the bulk vending business just as it is in most business. Walgreens builds right across the street from CVS all of the time. Walmart, Target, Kroger build on the same block. It’s all about competition. You say the location only does $15-$20 but when a new vendor comes in they have no idea how the place will do so that’s why they try it. Now I think it is silly for them to run the same product you do but who knows why they are. Does the location think your portions are too small and the new guy offered more product for their money? Who knows? Maybe they pre-loaded the machines prior to locating and are changing out product next time they service. Again who knows?  All they care is that they got their foot in the door. I’m in tons of locations that are shared by other vendors but I don’t run the same items they do and most of them are solid performers. I also have no problems putting a machine in a location with other vending equipment there. If it doesn’t do well then I move it but I have no obligation to avoid the location because there is already a machine there. If the location is willing to accept it then it’s worth a try. These days it is a lot tougher to locate then it was ten years ago. If you are limiting yourself to locations with no existing vending equipment (or limited vending equipment) then you could be missing the next gold mine. Sure it can be frustrating if someone sits on you but I just try to figure out a way to pull more of the business than they do through variety, portions and great service.

Dragon, I think we now know whos machines they are 😂 .

On a more serious note, Gumball guy you do make valid points, and I respect that.  Where I live its mostly Home Depot and then across is Lowes yet somehow they both stay in business and I would assume make good money.   

This happens to me on occasion. I normally leave my machine there if I was there first, and try and find a unique way to stand out. Different product, more product per vend etc. Eventually the other guy will leave because the sales aren't great, or I end up with a machine doing half what it did before. But half is better than nothing, and that means my competitor is only getting half too, so if I can focus on other locations, hopefully my business overall will do better. If we all have the same machines and product, the best thing I can focus on is better service than anyone else. 

Definitely not afraid, but it certainly gets a 'rise' out of me when i see it.  My situation is not so much the competition; its the stupidity involved.  Like I was saying before, there are 'thousands' of locations.  Thousands of different ways to make money in this biz.  Why do they keep focusing on the 'obvious' places.  I see the same vendors going after the same crap; 'auto' 'laundry', 'chinese buffet', 'independent restaurant'; and when i walk into these places; the same a-holes are there, with hundreds of heads, spirals, toys; and it is absolutely absurd, and low level thinking.  Everyone trying to get a piece of 'the obvious', but I try other places; and these 'other' places have yielded 'massive' returns; i have locations where none of these idiots would ever think of, that are yielding me 125/month in Gb alone; 

So why do i get angry?  I get angry because occasionally, ill walk into the 'obvious' places; no machine inside; and ill speak to the mngr; and yes they allow me to place it.  no problem; i secured it.  4 heads later, another clown will walk in; and place their piece of crap inside; and screw both of us.  Will I leave and find a better location with higher return?  In this last situation, no, not allowing that moron to do that.

*Why does the manger allow it?  In one of the locations, where i had a single GB, and 2 idiots with triples in there; I ended up pulling my single out; as im taking the machine out; the manager stops me and says 'why are you taking ur machine out?'', i said 'im taking it out because these 2 idiots have 2 triples here; the machine is at 4.00 per month now; there are thousands of locations to place this; its silly to be here at this point'  mngr says 'yeah, i just noticed that other triple, and honestly, i have no idea who it belongs to, nobody gave them approval'....

So?  What does this mean?  We have idiots going around with triples; just placing them anywhere, approval or not.  That's right, real scum bags.  They have no skills, just walk into an auto shop and place it; throw it against the wall, and see if it sticks.....Thats what we are 'occasionally' up against.  

There are only so many locations and to many vendors that think bulk vending will be their retirement plan. Try living in saturated areas where isn't any locations available! 

The reason that the obvious gets hit so hard is because soone of them make 200+ a month.  When I find a location like that in my area,  I fill every available square foot with equipment.  If I don't,  someone else will.  

Hello Dragon,

Just curious. Would you happen to know whatever became of the old Smith-Regal bulk vending company out of Charlotte? They were huge decades ago - operating 30,000+ charity gum machines in multiple states. See this link to an old Billboard article about Smith-Regal. Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:15 PM, GumballDragon said:

Definitely not afraid, but it certainly gets a 'rise' out of me when i see it.  My situation is not so much the competition; its the stupidity involved.  Like I was saying before, there are 'thousands' of locations.  Thousands of different ways to make money in this biz.  Why do they keep focusing on the 'obvious' places.  I see the same vendors going after the same crap; 'auto' 'laundry', 'chinese buffet', 'independent restaurant'; and when i walk into these places; the same a-holes are there, with hundreds of heads, spirals, toys; and it is absolutely absurd, and low level thinking.  Everyone trying to get a piece of 'the obvious', but I try other places; and these 'other' places have yielded 'massive' returns; i have locations where none of these idiots would ever think of, that are yielding me 125/month in Gb alone; 

So why do i get angry?  I get angry because occasionally, ill walk into the 'obvious' places; no machine inside; and ill speak to the mngr; and yes they allow me to place it.  no problem; i secured it.  4 heads later, another clown will walk in; and place their piece of crap inside; and screw both of us.  Will I leave and find a better location with higher return?  In this last situation, no, not allowing that moron to do that.

*Why does the manger allow it?  In one of the locations, where i had a single GB, and 2 idiots with triples in there; I ended up pulling my single out; as im taking the machine out; the manager stops me and says 'why are you taking ur machine out?'', i said 'im taking it out because these 2 idiots have 2 triples here; the machine is at 4.00 per month now; there are thousands of locations to place this; its silly to be here at this point'  mngr says 'yeah, i just noticed that other triple, and honestly, i have no idea who it belongs to, nobody gave them approval'....

So?  What does this mean?  We have idiots going around with triples; just placing them anywhere, approval or not.  That's right, real scum bags.  They have no skills, just walk into an auto shop and place it; throw it against the wall, and see if it sticks.....Thats what we are 'occasionally' up against.  

I agree with you on some things, the problem is.... for most of us, this is a full time job, where you actually go out and service, wand do what you're supposed to do, then there are those that see what you do, but don't know what goes into it, and bam! you've got a triple! the problem with that is.

1. they will hike up the commission

2. commission will screw you up

3. manager/boss will push you for more

4. problem! what's 100% of ZERO? 

5. 30% of something?

now these managers see what's going on and want more commission from nothing, I've never pulled a machine out for commission, usually bc the store is closing. 

the other problem is that these wanna be us guys forget where they put the damn things, now they go empty! while yours is still full. So now you've got and empty competitor, and your paying out more! now that sucks!

on the other hand, this works in my favor when I walk into a location and see a machine that's empty and not being used, that's my get point, I cant remember how many of those I've seen. Ill put my machine in, and wait, I've got nothing but time, as soon as 6 months go by and that triple hasn't been touched, I already know the deal! I tell the owner to put it downstairs, and if the guy hasn't come in 6 months, what makes you think hell even come in 1 year? I think one year is more than enough time to find out if its abandoned or not. you know the rest.... 😈

Hilarious that you mention that.  Ive been given 2 machines already from store owners, based on people placing machines and it go unserviced for 12 months.  I might have #3 soon, but this unserviced machine has a chain with lock on it.  Hasn't been touched in over 1 year.  Its going to be awkward going in there with a heavy duty cable cutter.

*Im inside a restaurant, where there is a rack, along with my single GB.  I serviced it last week, and noticed another single GB.  I asked the manager why he would allow 2 GB machines, and he says 'i thought the other one was yours??', i was like 'f no, why would i do that?'...he says he has no idea who placed it.  2nd manager who told me this.  So basically, i have some a-hole in my territory doing 'guerilla' vending; these morons are just running around placing machines, without approval.  Anyone else experiencing this in their area??  Its so annoying

23 hours ago, GumballDragon said:

Hilarious that you mention that.  Ive been given 2 machines already from store owners, based on people placing machines and it go unserviced for 12 months.  I might have #3 soon, but this unserviced machine has a chain with lock on it.  Hasn't been touched in over 1 year.  Its going to be awkward going in there with a heavy duty cable cutter.

*Im inside a restaurant, where there is a rack, along with my single GB.  I serviced it last week, and noticed another single GB.  I asked the manager why he would allow 2 GB machines, and he says 'i thought the other one was yours??', i was like 'f no, why would i do that?'...he says he has no idea who placed it.  2nd manager who told me this.  So basically, i have some a-hole in my territory doing 'guerilla' vending; these morons are just running around placing machines, without approval.  Anyone else experiencing this in their area??  Its so annoying

Guerilla vending or "slamming" as it is also called on these boards seems to happen geographically in cycles. Sometimes a new vendor will hire an unscrupulous locator who will just go out and drop machines in locations without permission then report back that all the equipment has been successfully placed. The vendor pays them and then finds out the what they actually got from the locator when they go to service the location later. There are also vendors (guerillas) who just walk in and drop machines in really busy locations like big box stores, hospitals, city hall etc... knowing they are on borrowed time but willing to take the chance for a quick return. Not exactly a solid business plan but someone who does this isn't usually in it for the long haul anyway. I think the most prevalent cause of the problem are locators and vendors who don't speak to the decision maker but instead whoever is available. They will talk to an employee and the employee says "Sure that would be great put it over there" and there it stays until someone finally questions who green lighted it's placement which maybe never. Like I said earlier in this thread people setting on me in locations really doesn't bother me because that's business. I'm in it for the long haul and I can handle the competition. Losing equipment, losing locations, being set on, being moved, broken into and the list goes on. I may get a little bent for a minute but I deal with it and move on. The larger your business gets the more frequently you will encounter these situations.

I will offer a word of caution. Be careful taking other people's equipment even if the location says take it. Every jurisdiction is different but you potentially could face criminal charges or a lawsuit if the machine's owner does show up eventually. Locations may tell you "that guy hasn't been here in years" but all that means is they haven't personally seen the vendor but he may have actually been there in recent months. I have plenty of derelict machines that I share locations with and I bring it to the location owners attention when possible. If they want to take the machine, break into it or throw it away that is their call but I tell them that I can't touch it. The last thing I want is to get a call from a vendor who had an extended illness or a route list error that caused delayed servicing and have to explain why I felt it was my right to take his machine. Not a good situation. Ultimately it is someone else's property and I have no legal right to take it even if it appears to be abandoned, Just my 2 cents.   

Gotcha, that's interesting perspective, and never actually thought about it in that way.  I was thinking, if the machine was abandoned, and unserviced for years, it would be ok.  On the other hand, you have a valid point.  Definitely something to think about.   

*I took a moment to review 'basic' law about abandoned property.  It 'appears' the best way to handle it legally, is to initially report it, then make an 'effort' to track down the owner, and if the property is still 'abandoned' after those efforts have been made, then its officially 'your' property.  That appears to be the 'general' way to handle such a situation.  

If anyone else has more precise, practical, or other misc input, feel free

30 minutes ago, GumballDragon said:

*I took a moment to review 'basic' law about abandoned property.  It 'appears' the best way to handle it legally, is to initially report it, then make an 'effort' to track down the owner, and if the property is still 'abandoned' after those efforts have been made, then its officially 'your' property.  That appears to be the 'general' way to handle such a situation.  

If anyone in this business can claim "abandoned" property it's the location owner... remember we are in their business and only renting/borrowing a bit of space.

1 hour ago, Mehehe said:

If anyone in this business can claim "abandoned" property it's the location owner... remember we are in their business and only renting/borrowing a bit of space.

From the time I can remember my father always taught me to return coins I found to the owner of any property where I found them. Gives the opportunity for the found object’s owner to come looking for it. This is something that’s stuck with me, figured I’d mention.

“Finders keepers, losers weepers” might rhyme, but that doesn’t mean we should all live by it.

Right, but this action was 'after' the owner of the location offers the 'abandoned' equipment to you.  We were trying to figure out, 'though' its abandoned, and location owner offers it to you, is it 'legitimate' to take it?  So, thats when I was thinking in these terms below:

*I took a moment to review 'basic' law about abandoned property.  It 'appears' the best way to handle it legally, is to initially report it, then make an 'effort' to track down the owner, and if the property is still 'abandoned' after those efforts have been made, then its officially 'your' property.  That appears to be the 'general' way to handle such a situation*

Most location owners do not want a 15 year old, abandoned gumball machine; most of them do not care about the 15.00 in quarters that might be sitting inside.  I've never seen a location owner grapple over abandoned equipment like that....it would be absurd.   In most cases, the location owner wants it off their property if its 'abandoned'...its collecting dust, and just taking up space in their eyes....they want to turn it over to someone who could potentially use it, or simply throw it in the garbage.

• 2 months later...

if machine is abandoned, I will ask owner how long it has been this way, no gb machine should be left unserviced for more than 90 days, we know when its abandoned, its usually empty, I will check up on it when I do service, if I see that it has been filled, I know its not abandoned, I will not touch it, but if its been 1, 2, 3, 6 months or more, ill take it, store it, and let the owner know that I did so, then I hold it for about 6 months, by now someone should've came forward to claim it as I did leave my info with the owner of the store, the reason I remove them is so that the owner doesn't have to deal with a double headache of seeing 2 machines, but only making cash from 1, I win, store wins, reckless vendor who doesn't come to service for 6 months or more bc they forgot where they placed it, or did have an illness is not my concern, when you place a machine, you should have the name, address, phone number of store and store owner, if there is an issue, its your machine, take care of it, give the store a call, see what's up, but not show up at all, I already know its abandoned. worse comes to worse, when the reckless vendor comes back, they can call me, my number is on every machine, I will be happy to give it back, at this point I have 2 machines like this, stored for over 2 years, I've called numerous times, I've asked other vendors, and no luck, I will be taking those puppies apart! that reality for you, not like I didn't try. worse thing is, these reckless vendors will make the stores sign a contract, part of it "machine will be cleaned, serviced, and filled regular time of every 30 days" call me stupid, but if its empty, and its been 6 months or more, the contract is void! tell me im wrong :P 

13 hours ago, NYCandyMan said:

if machine is abandoned, I will ask owner how long it has been this way, no gb machine should be left unserviced for more than 90 days, we know when its abandoned, its usually empty, I will check up on it when I do service, if I see that it has been filled, I know its not abandoned, I will not touch it, but if its been 1, 2, 3, 6 months or more, ill take it, store it, and let the owner know that I did so, then I hold it for about 6 months, by now someone should've came forward to claim it as I did leave my info with the owner of the store, the reason I remove them is so that the owner doesn't have to deal with a double headache of seeing 2 machines, but only making cash from 1, I win, store wins, reckless vendor who doesn't come to service for 6 months or more bc they forgot where they placed it, or did have an illness is not my concern, when you place a machine, you should have the name, address, phone number of store and store owner, if there is an issue, its your machine, take care of it, give the store a call, see what's up, but not show up at all, I already know its abandoned. worse comes to worse, when the reckless vendor comes back, they can call me, my number is on every machine, I will be happy to give it back, at this point I have 2 machines like this, stored for over 2 years, I've called numerous times, I've asked other vendors, and no luck, I will be taking those puppies apart! that reality for you, not like I didn't try. worse thing is, these reckless vendors will make the stores sign a contract, part of it "machine will be cleaned, serviced, and filled regular time of every 30 days" call me stupid, but if its empty, and its been 6 months or more, the contract is void! tell me im wrong :P 

This topic has been debated on here several times over the years. Personally I never take someone else’s equipment off location without that vendors permission. The issue is between the location owner and the other vendor plain and simple. If the location owner wants to remove it then so be it but I don’t want anything to do with it. You may want to check your local laws because if someone (or their family) comes back for their machine and the location points the finger at you it could result in a legal problem for you. A cop or judge may have a different opinion  of what constitutes "abandonment" than you do.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, gumball guy said:

This topic has been debated on here several times over the years. Personally I never take someone else’s equipment off location without that vendors permission. The issue is between the location owner and the other vendor plain and simple. If the location owner wants to remove it then so be it but I don’t want anything to do with it. You may want to check your local laws because if someone (or their family) comes back for their machine and the location points the finger at you it could result in a legal problem for you. A cop or judge may have a different opinion  of what constitutes "abandonment" than you do.

lets just assume I john dough do come back for my abandoned machine months later, I walk in, I see another machine, I don't see mine, I ask for manager or owner, they tell me the whole place was gutted out 8 months ago, where were you? the machine is gone, what can you do? do you blame the new vendor who has nothing to do with it? who do you blame? what can you do? absolutely nothing! I've had places where I was just there a month ago or less, I was just passing by, and all I see is a place gutted out, I was just there! what happened? no one told me anything! what can you do? who do you blame? do you hunt down the shop owner? here's another one. same scenario, but there's an auction going on, you walk in, see a price of $50 on your machine, the product is there, but the cash has been broken into to, who do you blame? the auctioneer says "that's how we got it" what do you do? 

so as much as I hate to take an abandoned machine, its just the name of the game, you snooze you lose, not much to do! its the reality of it, I've lost a lot of machines this way and also recovered many, no one cares for a tiny gumball machine! they call it "scrap metal" dump it! toss it in the trash! new or old, good or bad, dumpster it goes! and that's the truth! try getting a lawsuit on that for $125, good luck on that one!

32 minutes ago, NYCandyMan said:

lets just assume I john dough do come back for my abandoned machine months later, I walk in, I see another machine, I don't see mine, I ask for manager or owner, they tell me the whole place was gutted out 8 months ago, where were you? the machine is gone, what can you do? do you blame the new vendor who has nothing to do with it? who do you blame? what can you do? absolutely nothing! I've had places where I was just there a month ago or less, I was just passing by, and all I see is a place gutted out, I was just there! what happened? no one told me anything! what can you do? who do you blame? do you hunt down the shop owner? here's another one. same scenario, but there's an auction going on, you walk in, see a price of $50 on your machine, the product is there, but the cash has been broken into to, who do you blame? the auctioneer says "that's how we got it" what do you do? 

so as much as I hate to take an abandoned machine, its just the name of the game, you snooze you lose, not much to do! its the reality of it, I've lost a lot of machines this way and also recovered many, no one cares for a tiny gumball machine! they call it "scrap metal" dump it! toss it in the trash! new or old, good or bad, dumpster it goes! and that's the truth! try getting a lawsuit on that for $125, good luck on that one!

Your argument makes no sense. We aren’t talking about a machine that is lost when a business closes it’s doors, we are talking about you taking it upon yourself to remove another vendor’s equipment without permission.  You said in your earlier post “if its been 1, 2, 3, 6 months or more, ill take it, store it, and let the owner know that I did so, then I hold it for about 6 months,”. What gives you the authority to do this? The answer is nothing. How is it that your opinion on service cycles should be adhered to by your competitors? Ridiculous. What do you do with the money you get out of the machine that you took? Do you split it with the location owner who you are doing the big favor for? Doubt it. You can spin it anyway you want man but in most people’s book it is stealing and it sure isn’t an ethical way to conduct business.

1 hour ago, NYCandyMan said:

Just an elaborate way to justify stealing a machine, plain and simple. 

If it appears that a machine's been abandoned I'll call the service number on the machine.  From there it goes any number of ways.  I've purchased numerous routes (usually for a song) from guys that want or are already out.  Often times you get the machine, location & $ inside- make sure you get a signed agreement.  My best deal was a guy that had abandoned & was already 'out'.  Told him if he gave me his location list, keys, etc I'd visit them all & give him the $ in his machines then take possession of he machines/route (all NW super 60s).  I had to clean things up but it basically cost me nothing. 

If the service #s been disconnected I'll make sure to point it out & prove it to the owner/manager.  With his permission I will take it.

No service # on the machine or no answer/return call from phone #, I don't touch it.

Archived