Welcome New Members

The Mage

Hi,

I am brand new to the business, in fact I am trying to decide if it is for me. I am looking for tips, advice, do's and don't s and anything that would help me make a decision.

As has already been mentioned, take the time to read read and read and many of your questions will be answered and then even more questions will come to you.  ^_^

Feel free to join the conversations. See you around the boards.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is why you need to endlessly read these forums - concentrate on the Beverage and Food forum and the Bulk Vending forum.  You won't know what to ask if you don't know the business yet.  Most of your future questions are probably already touched on in one of the forums.  Throw away your preconceived ideas and have an open mind.  Don't be swayed by fancy graphics, low prices, or bells and whistles. 

Mage,

Thanks for the welcome. Excellent advice! OVer my 29 years in vending, I have gotten many calls asking my opinion of the 'business opportunity' a friend or friend of friend was being pitched, LOL. As anyone in the business knows, the only one making money on those 'opportunities' is the person selling them.  :o(   I tell them if they want to get into that (usually counter top vedning) business all they need to do is go to my suppliers notes board (or Craig's list) to find several people with a bunch of 'never used machines' selling for cheap to reccoop some of their loss.

Sadly, some want so hard to believe the grossly overstated revenue claims, that even that they called and asked for an experienced opinion, they still want to 'buy in'. The power of the hard sell saleman and our own inherent human greed can be tough to overcome. I certainly made poor choices at the peak of the '06 realestate boom, so I had my bad taste in that way. We live, we learn. But it sure is helpful to ask ans listen to those experienced in the field we are looking into.

Thanks again for your excellent primer for folks looking to get into some aspect of the vending business. It is valuable to know what we don't know (as I failed to in '06 ;o) and ask for advise.

And kudos to those considring the business to seek out experienced advice! That is a sign of good business sense!

Best of luck to all.

Dave

Ultimate Perks

• 2 weeks later...

HI,I have been reading the forum for a while and joined up so I could post in some of the topics. It is a good forum and very well run with experienced people helping others from what I can see.  I am vending in Australia,I have just started two months ago took over a round with five machines, snacks and drinks located mainly in blue collar businesses. Thanks.

Hi All,

Just dipping the toe in the bulk vending water myself, full of ambitious enthusiasm so wish me luck! Browsing through some of the topics and finding some great tips already, just located my first 20 machines!! Great looking forum!

I use the program from Vending Essentials. I like it b/c I purchased it outright and don't have a monthly fee. I tried a couple others, but I like this one the best. They have a way for you to sample the site before you purchase it.

I just bought my first machine yesterday (an 1800 vending) for $100 off of craigslist and I am super excited to find a location for it. I plan to start out selling candy and then possibly moving into toys. Thank you for all of the information you all have provided on this site, and I look forward to being a member!

Hello everyone.

I am new to the vending game and dove in head first before discovering this forum. (mistake #1)

I started by purchasing a few combo units (mistake #2) only to realize the limited potential and inferior quality of these.

I have since purchased a used AP 6600 and a used Vendo 264 which were put at my first location. 

After reading many quality posts here, it seems I didn't screw that one up lol.

I will be posting in the Beverage and Food Vending threads looking for advice and to speed up my learning curve of this business.

I appreciate the open give and take this forum allows and am looking forward to feedback from the many experienced vendors that post here!

Many thanks,

NeverSoldOut

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm getting my 9 year old daughter started with bulk vending. As you all know, it's requiring a lot of research from her key "investor", but I think it's worth the lessons she'll learn.

Thanks,

Renman

Hello everyone,

I'm getting my 9 year old daughter started with bulk vending. As you all know, it's requiring a lot of research from her key "investor", but I think it's worth the lessons she'll learn.

Thanks,

Renman

With any luck she'll do so well you can quit your day job ;D

• 2 weeks later...

Hey mate,

There are converters that change 60Hz - 50Hz but I am unsure how cost effective this would be or whether the process would meet our laws here when it comes to electrical regulations.

Maybe Ron may chime in on this subject as I think there are a few operators in Oz that have imported 110v equipment but am unsure what modifications & changes they have made besides using a step-down transformer to make this legal.

Hi,

No. There are no 60 Hz to 50 Hz converters available commercially any where in the world. Also you do not need it for vending machine. Just take care of voltage and you are good to go.

I am an electronics hobbyist (and professional with over 37 years of experience) and you can be sue of this.

Vinay

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, complete newbie here. I'm from the UK but currently working as an English teacher abroad. I hate it and my contract is up in January. I've decided I want to wor for myself and have a go at creating a business. I've been brainstorming for the last couple of months and fell upon the world of vending today via reddit. I'm thankful that I've found this site, and I intend to consume as much knowledge as possible before I head back to the UK. I've read through this thread and many of you seem to be American, hopefully your advice is transferable to the UK :) Are there many from the UK on here?

My first thoughts were to head in the "full line" (newly learned phrase #1! ) direction, but after reading through this thread I am obviously willing to change my mind as it would be foolish to ignore all the experts on here. Thanks for having me :D 

Hi everyone, complete newbie here. I'm from the UK but currently working as an English teacher abroad. I hate it and my contract is up in January. I've decided I want to wor for myself and have a go at creating a business. I've been brainstorming for the last couple of months and fell upon the world of vending today via reddit. I'm thankful that I've found this site, and I intend to consume as much knowledge as possible before I head back to the UK. I've read through this thread and many of you seem to be American, hopefully your advice is transferable to the UK :) Are there many from the UK on here?

My first thoughts were to head in the "full line" (newly learned phrase #1! ) direction, but after reading through this thread I am obviously willing to change my mind as it would be foolish to ignore all the experts on here. Thanks for having me :D 

Welcome to the forum.  The biggest difference you will encounter is in the equipment itself - you'll need machines with a different voltage than we use and obviously your coin mechs and BVs will also be different.  Aside from that the demographics should be equal - blue collar mfg. places will be your best locations - don't overlook the tire shops that only warrant a soda machine.  These can be quite profitable and sodas are the easiest way to break into full line vending.

While you're the only member I can think of from the UK, we do have a number of Down Under members that work with the same voltages that you do, as well as some Canadians who use US voltage.

Hey everybody,

I'm in St. Paul, Minnesota and I'm looking to get into vending. I am a writer and editor for my day job, though I was laid off in February and I've been freelancing since. It is OK, but stressful and very prone to feast/famine. I was looking to get into a business that offers the type of flexibility that vending seems to. I plan to do a part-time, remote magazine editing job and also vend - between the two I should be able to make enough money. 

So that's me... As far as how to get started, I have been weighing the merits of bulk vs full line vending or, more likely, both. My wife was in an accident and we'll get a settlement soon, so I have also been thinking about buying an existing route. I'm strong, reasonably intelligent :rolleyes: , and love to work, so I think this will be a good fit for me.

Very open to any advice from the pros that are on this forum! 

Thanks.

Good Morning Everyone,

I am absolutely, positively Brand Hammer new at this. I have set up a little sole proprietership with the local county courthouse and bought a single gumball machine and a pack of gumballs from gumballs.com So, I guess right now I'm just getting my feet wet and seeing what troubles and challenges are associated with this type of work. I would be very appreciateive of any advice offered. Thanks and have a great day!

Instead of repeating myself by giving the same advice over and over I have decided to make one general post for everyone, and post the link when I am responding to an introduction.

Welcome new VENDiscuss members.  You have found a great source for learning all about the vending industry.  There are plenty of experienced vendors here willing to give their advice.  I remember being the new guy, (2009) and was welcomed with open arms. 

Priority 1.  Avoid Biz-Ops.

The term Biz-Op is our term for business opportunity.  It refers to the companies that push inferior machines at inflated prices with outrageous (implied) promises.  They attempt to sell you an entire business as a kit, and even set it up for you.

Listen to the members here, and you can start for a lot less, and even make your money back a lot sooner then with the Biz-Op route.

Bulk or full line?

There are 2 basic directions to go with vending.  Bulk, and full line.  They are two different animals, and you may find one fits you better then the other.  Some do both.  Some do mostly one, with a little of the other on the side, for example a bulk vendor who also supplies beverage machines, but may not venture into snacks.

I would say that most vendors start out in bulk vending.  It is generally cheaper and easier to get into.  Then later on some make the transition to full line.

I am a bulk vendor.  I have looked into full line, and even discussed buying a full line route with a couple of vendors who were selling.  But in the end I decided it was not for me.  What I want to avoid in full line is probably what draws others to it.  It is a very personal choice.  Generally when I give my opinions, it is often centered more around bulk then full line.  I admit that I forget too easily that others do, and even prefer to do, full line, or both.

Start small.

Some of you are wondering why I am saying this when you may not even have the resources to start any other way.  But there are plenty of people who decide to get into vending, take on an extra mortgage, and end up with a garage full of machines that will never be used, or a giant route where they discover they are over their heads, and are not even sure where all the machines are.

If you just get one, or a few, the investment can be quite small, especially if they are used.  Or you could purchase a small route already running.  (Run the numbers by the members first, and they can help you figure out if it is a good deal or not.)

The next step is to actually run the business with what you have.  Learn how the machines work, and how to fix them.  You will have problems, and have to learn how to deal with them.  Once you learn how to deal with the problems with just a few machines, it will be easier to deal with those issues when running a lot of machines.

This actually is work.

Yes you are going to have to actually do work.  Many people get turned on to vending, thinking you just sit back, and the quarters come rolling in.  Well, it kind of can, but it doesn't happen by magic.  You don't just buy a machine, and suddenly it starts spitting out quarters.

This is a business, and must be treated as such.  Lots of people dream of being an entrepreneur, but don't realize the amount of work, dedication, and motivation that needs to be put into a business.  There are a lot of abandoned machines out there just because somebody found out they actually had to work.  Unlike employees, you will decide the entire direction of your business.  If your not successful, it is on you, and you won't have a boss to point your finger at.

You will also be the repairman, salesman, janitor, accountant, and delivery guy.    And your significant other will start asking you what your going to do with all this crap all over the house/apartment, and when the living/bed/dining room or garage isn't going to be full of machines and product.

If this makes you cringe, have second thoughts.  But if your like me, you would probably get a kick out of all this.

My suggestion.

No disrespect for the full line guys, (okay... you full line chicks too,  ;)) unless you know you want to get into full line, I recommend getting a couple bulk machines.  (Research the ones discussed on this forum, then decide what you want.)  Take them apart and put them back together so you understand how they work.  Clean them inside and out if they are used.  (Not a bad idea if they are new either.)  Get them into a location or two, and start servicing them.

You will quickly find out if this business is for you or not.  Like it so far? Then you start building, slowly at first.  You have the benefit of the profits from your current locations helping you fund this little project.  And as you get more and more machines, you have that much more coming in to expand further.

This is where you do what I call moving up the vending food chain.  You slowly begin to add different types of machines and products, moving into just one new type at a time.  Maybe you add sticker machines, or start testing the waters of full line with a beverage machine here and there.  At this point if you find you like full line, then bulk will help you fund getting into full line.

The point is that you take a step at a time, testing the waters each time, and find your niche.  And you build it up exactly how big you want it.  Weather you just want to add a supplemental income, build a vending empire, or do something in between.

What I love about vending is that you can have just one machine, hundreds, or any number in between.  As big or small as you want it.  You can also decide if you want to invest plenty of your hard earned money into building this enterprise, or after starting up, building very slowly, only using the revenue resulting from your first machines to expand.

Good luck, and don't forget to thank Steve C (W) for starting, and working hard to maintain this forum.  And notice the little donation bar on the left.  Even if you don't donate now, once you start benefiting from this forum, it is nice to give a little back to help keep this forum running.

If other more experienced members want to chime in and give their advice, maybe even disagree with me, or tell me where I am wrong, I encourage this.  I know I only scratched the surface, and honestly I still feel like a newbie. 

Thanks for that.  I have considered bulk vending.  I guess i am a little backwards.  I do plan to learn to manage what I have out there before going any further.  So I am glad to know I am on the right track there.  

Archived