PayRange

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More exciting news folks, in direct response to recent requests from Operators PayRange has added the convenience of Apple Pay to our portfolio.

Users can now fund their PayRange wallet via their Apple Pay account effective immediately.

Did you try D&S Vending in Cleveland? We received ours today. They got a shipment last week and were filling orders on a first come basis. Try Jason at 800-445-8363

I ordered parts with them four weeks ago and a payrange, received parts, no payrange!

cajun

Leave it to Cajun to drive all the way to Kansas when there's plenty of beaches thirty miles from his house that are not 19 degrees  ;D  ;D  ;D

He drives to Kansas because he knows you wont be their... wouldn't want to see your scrawny golpher sunbathing nude!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I drive 4 & 1/2 hour to go to my beach in Doubtless Bay, Northland.... not because it's the best beach in the world but because it's mine... my family own it

He drives to Kansas because he knows you wont be their... wouldn't want to see your scrawny golpher sunbathing nude!  ;D  ;D  ;D

I drive 4 & 1/2 hour to go to my beach in Doubtless Bay, Northland.... not because it's the best beach in the world but because it's mine... my family own it

Sheep Beach?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Leave it to Cajun to drive all the way to Kansas when there's plenty of beaches thirty miles from his house that are not 19 degrees  ;D  ;D  ;D

I would've gone to Hawaii, crop dusters can't fly that far!

I got refused for refilling to fly over there!

So Kansas it was!

;D  ;D  ;D 

cajun 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello -- 

This is Paresh Patel, founder and CEO of PayRange. I recently learned of this thread and I wanted to provide some information and clear up a few things. It's a long post!

CPD2

The PayRange BluKey is designed to work on machines in either CPD1 or CPD2 mode (cashless payment device). This means it can work alongside card readers or run by itself. Whether or not it can work alongside a card reader is entirely dependent on the machine because the BluKey is just a "slave" on the vending machine like any other peripheral. Many older machines were designed to only run one cashless payment device even though MDB spec supports two (perhaps the machine manufacturers never thought anyone would have two cashless payment devices on a single machine).

The easiest way to understand this is imagine you have an older house with a one car garage. Back in the day, families had just one car. Later, you decide to buy a second car. Your garage can only hold one car ... it really has nothing to do with the car, it's a function of the garage that you can't fit that second card into the garage. No matter how that second car manufacturer designs the car, that second car won't fit into the single car garage.

The options you have are:

1) Keep the first car.

2) Keep the second car.

3) Renovate and make the garage bigger (ie., replace the control board so it can accept two cashless payment devices).

4) Buy another house (replace the machine).

Of course the last choice is drastic and likely not an option. The third option is a good way to provide consumers both options on payments. 

Sample Device

Some people have raised the issue about the limitation of the sample devices - that was by design. The samples were designed to allow operators to test the system and see how it works. Our concept is innovative and we felt it was best to allow operators to try it themselves instead of relying on what we were saying. The response we got was phenomenal. Many operators loved our product so much, they placed orders at the trade show (we were taking orders at a rate of $100,000 per hour). Others took samples back to try.

The field devices do not have limitation on users or machines -- it is designed to work in environments where there is a bank of machines, and even multiple users waiting in line. We handle this fairly elegantly. Here is an unlisted video (non-professional video I recorded myself) of how that works:

http://youtu.be/Z7LnmnNvnEg 

Cellular Connection

It is true the device requires no cellular connection itself. It occurred to me one day, why connect the machines when the users are already connected? The users have everything we need - they have the computing device, they have the user interface, and they have the internet connection... why spend hundreds of dollars on expensive cellular hardware for the machines and the monthly recurring fees when the users have what we need to enable the cashless payment? Our solution leverages their phone (yes both iOS and Android) and allows the payment to happen securely. The user can be connected via wifi or cellular.

DEX

We do not upload the DEX file from the machine. We are a payment option to the machine. We don't have any monthly fees - like the coin acceptor and bill acceptor. We don't take away from any of those payment options. If the operator would like the DEX files, they would still put in telemetry through other providers and pay the monthly fees to get that data.

Users

Will users download the app to pay with a machine. Absolutely! The very targeted and most frequent users of vending machines are the very people who are becoming cashless at an incredible rate. Maybe you would not download an app to pay, but the Gen X and Gen Y want to do everything with their phone. It's must faster and more convenient to pay with a phone. If you know any high school or college age people, ask how much change or cash they have on them. Your business depends on this demographic, yet these are the very people who can't pay you. In fact, most people in high school today will not even have a plastic credit card when they enter the workforce. They will be all digital.

Most people today would not return home if they left their wallet at home. If they left their phone at home, they would turn around and go get it. This explains the importance of the phone for most people.

Any questions?

I'm happy to speak with you or exchange emails should you have any questions. Reach-out to me directly if you have my email or on LinkedIn (I'm avoiding putting my email here due to spam).

Thank you for commenting on this subject, Paresh.  It's a shame you weren't here when the thread started and people were trying to use the sample devices.  Not one of our members who were testing the samples appeared to know what the limitations of the sample devices were.  Perhaps this wasn't made clear at the show and I guess no documentation to that effect was included with the test devices.  It quickly became quite clear that they left the NAMA show with the idea that the PayRange would work and when they had problems there were no answers.  Not a good first step.  As for the options to make the device play well with older machines, I think option 3 of an upgraded logic board is a no go in many instances as well, just so a $50 device that may or may not catch on can be used.

This is not unlike the card reader suppliers whose devices connect through the MDB protocol but then can't extract the DEX data because DEX was never a universal Data Exchange model, as we were always led by NAMA to believe.  So now when a vendor can't get cash data from a machine through the card reader connected to DEX, they are often stuck with nothing to correct it.  The latest machine software revision may or may not work - it doesn't work in the Vendo 5.1 logic board, for example.  Quite disappointing when the suppliers don't work through every scenario with every legacy machine so the operators can avoid wasting time and money trying to get something to work.  The standard answer is for the vendor to go back to the machine manufacturer for information on compatibility, when the manufacture doesn't even build the machine any longer.  I think the onus is on the new device manufacturer to do the legwork, not the other way around.  Any supplier wanting to sell a device to the industry should spend some additional money and do their homework before the devices hit the market.

Yes, it is unfortunate that we were not aware of this thread. That being said, we pride ourselves on outstanding support and service and contacting us direct would have gotten you a response very quickly. Still I encourage any operator who has questions or any issues to contact us directly. We respond very quickly - we're here to help you.

Also, with regards to the sample devices, we did talk to everyone in person at NAMA about it and we created a special landing page that all operators were directed to when they went to register a device. Here is that landing page: https://www.payrange.net/  (and it was included on every sample package as one of the steps to setup). It is mentioned that this is a sample device along with the limitations. We never intended to be unclear about it. However, since there was widespread confusion about it, I recognize we could have done better to make this even clearer. Keep in mind, if you have a sample device, we have since announced that if you send us the sample device, we will replace it for free with one that does not have limitations. 

Your comment about working with machine manufacturers is spot on, and we are making an extraordinary attempt trying to work with machine manufacturers. As you may know, the biggest problem is that most machine manufacturers didn't follow MDB spec completely. They all put their own tweaks on it. And this is this the root problem.

But ultimately, we only control our side. We can't make them do anything. Their customers -- THE OPERATORS -- have the most leverage. If operators start reaching out to the manufacturers, they may be more inclined to listen than what any other supplier in the industry is trying to tell them.

Thank you, Paresh.  Yes, the MDB and DEX protocols have been apparently abused and not followed at all even though every manufacturer was involved in their creation.  They all agreed with NAMA on the set parameters of the protocols and then they began to make changes for reasons that are not clear.  Perhaps they were placating an end user or a third party device maker, or thought that no one would notice a small change in lazy coding of the chips, but in any case the problem has been created and there is no help from the manufacturers on their legacy machines.  They just aren't interested in helping solve the issue, nor does it appear that NAMA is interested in the problem either.  I would imagine that there are just some machines that will be Payrange-less.  Have you done any testing of the myriad of aftermarket DEX chips that are offered?  There are several DEX chips available for AP, Royal, National and Dixie Narco machines, and even one for the Fastcorp F631.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I purchased a dozen about 3 weeks ago.  I put one in different accounts just to see what type of acceptance.  Couple of the accounts have not had 1 user.  3 of the accounts started with one user the first day and increasing daily.  Yesterday a gal at one of the accounts where I now have 4 devices installed, told me she had to go to an ATM just to get some cash to make a purchase from my machine.  "I wish you had a way to pay by CC."  I have signs posted on each machine about PayRange and the free offer posting on one machine.  I didn't have to say a word, another employee in the break room laughed and told her about it.  She downloaded the app and said this was fantastic.  Hopefully she will tell others about it.  

I think this is a little younger crowd and the sales have increased and are increasing.  Few people in this account do not have a smartphone.  The older crowd accounts are much slower in adapting to the app but I have have noticed a new user every 4-5 days.  So we shall see.  For 50 bucks a unit and relatively low CC usage fee there is not much to lose and potentially a lot to gain.  Plus I do get an idea what to bring for the account based on cash sales as well Payrange Sales.

Does anyone have a Payrange installed on a Vendo outfitted with an 8.1 board?  I ask this because for some reason this machine only reports Payrange sales and not the cash sales.  Is there a setting on the board that will enable it to report the cash sales as well.  Its the only machine that will report Payrange sales and not cash sales.

There isn't any setting in any machine that will enable or disable DEX data - it's always on and available. The problem is that while DEX is supposed to be an industry standard, it's been modified and abused by each manufacturer so there isn't a "standard" any longer. Because of this you often have to put a newer version EPROM in a machine to get the DEX to properly. I can get a newer EPROM for you if you'll PM me with your current software version number. That's visible either on the board (label on the EPROM or the large capacitor) or visible upon startup or from within the programming menu.

It may be that the firmware on the bluetooth device needs to be updated. I believe it must be up to version 11 for it to report cash & and cashless. When you are in front of the machine in question, roll your money up onto the machine. The with 2 fingers double tap on the dollar signs on the trailing edge of the dollar. That will tell you what version you are using as well as the signal strength. If it is not version 11, leave the money on the machine and it will update. DO NOT let the phone go into sleep mode. It may take 6-7 minutes to complete. When it is done, the money will roll back off the machine and into your account. Then power down the machine and power back up. Recheck the firmware version just as earlier. Once it is to this version there will be no need to power off/on machine after further updates. They will be done seamlessly.

Archived