soda machine robbed

Full machine empty and all the money except for the change return cassette. Must of had a key because no damage was done to the machine. I'm not a rookie but not a vet. So my question is what kind of locks should I buy and where can I get them? Thanks

You're not still using a travel lock are you? What model machine is it? Does the T-handle feel nice and tight when you close it? 

I'm sure many can chime in here and tell you what brand they use. It honestly almost doesn't matter, as long as it's one that only you have the keys for. The bad guys might still get in, but with more damage.

Full machine empty and all the money except for the change return cassette. Must of had a key because no damage was done to the machine. I'm not a rookie but not a vet. So my question is what kind of locks should I buy and where can I get them? Thanks

Medeco from LSI.  You can get your own registered key if you buy enough units - offhand I think it's ten units at $25 apiece.  Not cheap but it sure beats getting cleaned out.

It's a lock from a company that went out of business a year ago now. Can't remember the name. T handle is good. I'd honestly rather the a holes fight to get in instead of just walking up with a key. I just wanted to know if there is a company that sells custom locks and keys or is this always a possibility that someone will have a matching key.

Kdub, you can always order locks with your own key code but like Moondog said, there is probably a minimum number of locks to buy in order to get that code. There are hundreds of common lock codes floating around and you either had what is considered a common lock in your machine or the person that sold you the machine or someone that worked for him still has your key. It's always recommended that a vendor get their own key code. Then always keep a few common locks so you have one to put in a machine you might sell. You will also need to get spare keys in case you lose one or need to give one to a trusted service tech or a future employee.

I sell locks that are my "house lock" meaning it's my own key code and I sell it across the US so it's virtually impossible for anyone to have a key to your machine. The advantage to buying locks like mine is that you get the restricted key code without any minimum purchases.

You can PM me for prices on locks and keys and a new cassette for your coin mech if you still need one.

I went with Cobramatic 7's from LSI Depot with my own unique key code. They can be changed to one of 8 separate keys. This is nice because you can have all your machines on say Key #1.  If you need to give someone access to a certain machine, you can switch just that machine to Key #2, give Key #2 to the person and they only have access to that machine, not other machines at the location or any other location.

They were around $12 each I think. Haven't have any problems, but they certainly are not as tough as the Medeco.

Duo are my choice. Registered keys.... And the cheapest price I have found... You don't want to have to drill one out. Medeco are also very good but cost more.

Coke & Pepsi puts their vendors in front of Wal-Mart etc and will put lock covers on the t-handles. Most of these guys won't buy a good hardened padlock that can't be cut off or thieves will rip the covers off. Then they will put a cheap ace plug lock on. I don't use a lock cover I want the thief to see the Medeco lock. They will break into all the others and walk away from a Medeco.

Thieves want to get in fast and leave. Sometimes in less than a minute. Medeco stops that and they will just move on. Duo is similar. 

Hate Abloy.

I cringed at the thought of spending as much as I did for all new locks on my fleet of machines.  If you are going to do it, do it RIGHT! Thank you AZ VENDOR for lesson learned, as someone else suffered the pain.  PHEW!  On the same note, I am sorry for your loss.  I'm sure you won't be making that mistake again.  It seems a good education has to cost something in order to be effective.  On the positive side, the only part you will be ordering to fix your machine is a uniquely keyed lock instead of gasket, handle, face, coin mech, BA etc...etc..etc..

I buy Medeco from Ra-lock. Medeco is a registered key and a great lock. The 750 is around $22 I believe, the 950 is $26(this is the model I use) and the 1050 is $34 I think (these are great for public outdoor locations more susceptible to vandalism) I do not remember a minimum order to purchase. 

As to the standard cylinder key, there are approx. a possible 50,000 combinations which would seem like enough but it isn't. This was made very apparent to me several years ago when I was called to work on a machine belonging to our local hospital (did their own vending at the time) and discovered we had the same key number for some of our machines. 

GET HIGH SECURITY LOCKS with registered keys. These keys can't be duplicated by the local wm, hardware store or locksmith. The locks are highly resistant to picking, tampering and drilling.

I did recently have a medeco get damaged to the point of being unable to insert the key (they must have used a punch and sledge or something) and had to have the lock drilled by a locksmith. When I told him on the phone it was a Medeco his reply was something like "you don't want much do you?"  $75 for travel as it was 25 miles out of town one way and $125 for drilling! 

I did recently have a medeco get damaged to the point of being unable to insert the key (they must have used a punch and sledge or something) and had to have the lock drilled by a locksmith. When I told him on the phone it was a Medeco his reply was something like "you don't want much do you?"  $75 for travel as it was 25 miles out of town one way and $125 for drilling! 

That is when you simply drill through the T-handle and flange and replace them.  You can do that for a lot less than $200!

That is when you simply drill through the T-handle and flange and replace them.  You can do that for a lot less than $200!

I'm with AZ drill t-handle and replace it, much cheaper.

100.gif 100.gif 100.gif

Took only a couple mintues and I was in.....would have been quicker but I picked the wrong side to drill.

u9ygyhad.jpg

Looks like that T handle had seen better days anyway

• 4 months later...

If they drilled through your lock itself then you can use one of the high security locks from LAI, Baton or Medeco, but that won't prevent them drilling through the T-handle itself to cut of the pop up bolt.  You either need a hardened T-handle or a T-handle lockcover bolted to the machine that uses a hockey puck lock.  You can also add a hasp or two to the side of your machine with hockey puck locks on them.  You want to deter the vandals and the more security you use the more likely they will pass on your machine.

I can supply any parts you might need for this.  Just PM me with the machine model number.

Archived