Picking up hotel wants 3 snack machines

I have a busy Ramada with 148 rooms. 1st Floor snack and soda does great. 2nd Floor snack and soda - slow. 3rd Floor snack only - super slow. . I am required to have Vending on all 3 floors but really only need the 1st floor machines and nothing else. The upper machines are barely used and I throw out a lot of product. I pay them 10% of the gross monthly. 

Hotels often want vendors on every floor, it may be a requirement of their franchise.  They rarely do better than a single good set of machines in a central location, although every location is different.  If you can offer them a glass front soda and card readers that may accept havin just one central location with the upgrades...

A former employer had a local hotel that was probably similar to this but with 4 floors.  They had a snack and glassfront on the 1st, and i think a can machine too, a snack and can also on the first in the kitchen area for employees (cheaper pricing), and a soda machine on the next 3 floors.  The 4th floor had been vandalized and never repaired.  3rd floor had a bad refrigeration deck and was never repaired.  2nd floor worked but everything was expired.  Kitchen machines were slow but not like the other floors.  Only the main lobby did anything decent.  They asked the vendor to fix the machines but never pressed the issue because the floors never got filled.

I have a red roof that is comparable size, two floors. I have two sodas (cans) and one snack all outside. One snack and soda at covered central stairwell. And a single soda near the office entrance. The soda next to the snack does 3 times the volume of the one sitting alone. I would put all 3 together but the breakers won't handle it.

Years ago we had a 10 story hotel. 5 snack and 8 drink machines as required by the hotel. It was a route drivers nightmare by the end. Six of the drink machines were averaging about 6 bottles a week. The only good ones were the basement for employees and the first floor by the workout center. They wouldn't let us take any out so we sold it

On 1/16/2018 at 2:29 PM, Coal River Vending said:

Had a hotel call me and wants 2 pop and 3 snack machines. They have 130 rooms which are full on the weekend and have 30-40 rooms occupied during the week. This seems like a lot of snack machines for this locations. Advice?

How many floors? 

Do they have an elevator?  If they have one, try to increase commission and your pricing to have one set on the main floor.  That's all you need.  I have probably done hundreds of hotels with Canteen alone over the past 10 years.  Here are some tips.

Never put a machine in the back unattended area.

Put the machines inside near the office when possible.

Put the machines as near the office as possible.

Avoid machines by the pool, inside the fenced area. You might find it in the pool.

80% of my vendors have now made their hotel vending machines cashless, all credit cards. They put signage on the machine stating this machine does not take cash.

If you have a large hotel with 75 plus employees try to get the employee vending area only. You will need to keep the pricing lower for the employees but the income is well worth it.

Avoid doing machines on each floor.  Forget the high rise hotels with machines on each floor. Leave those to the bottlers.  Offer snacks floors 1, 3, 5 maybe..

I am sure some vendors have had success stories outside of this pattern but over the years we have found this advice to be good.  Many hotels want 25% commission on the sales, which means you increase your base rate and for some reason, people will pay 1.50 a can.

If anyone is interested we have a 32-floor hotel in Arlington Tx that wants a new vendor. You can have it no fees or commission to us.  Just message me. This is located at the airport.  Coke does the drinks now and the hotel wants independent machines with several flavors. You need machines each floor snacks every other. occupancy rate is very high til you hit the 9th floor.  250 or so employees. They have a cafe' in the basement open at lunch and dinner.  Vending in that area does not pay commission and employee prices are very low.  .75 cans  1.00 water  1.65 bottles candy 1.00   small bag .70    big grab 1.00   cookies  .75    Pastry  1.25 to 2.00 

2 drinks and 1 snack but you must do the entire hotel.

Bev

Archived