Dixie Narco 276e SII-D - How to enter diagnostic mode:

Hello,

I am after some help with our Dixie Narco 276e SII-D (Pepsi, 7up, Generic) please?

I'm think maybe I am being a bit stupid.... but how do I get it into Diagnostic/programming mode?

The videos I have seen online and the instructions inside the machine state to have the inner door open and to press the blue service button. When I do that nothing happens, I have tried short presses and long presses with no success. 

The red price display goes off when the door is open, not sure if that is anything to do with it or not? (Comes back on and straight into sales mode when the door is closed.)

Am I doing something wrong?

20210519_154213.jpg

Hi Zachsea,

I believe this is the door switch pictured below?

I haven't touched it. Does it need to be in a certain position to enter diagnostic mode?

Many thanks for your help.

20210519_154835.jpg

The switch needs to be in center position for service work. When you open the door it should go there automatically. If not pull it out toward you and then give it a gentle push. Then push the service button to see if the display will change

If the display is reacting and the compressor turns off when you open the door, then the door switch is operating correctly.  Since SIID only shows "hd" (historical data) on the left side of the display when you enter service mode, you might just have failed segments on that side of the display.  Have you seen any scrolling messages using the entire display or only reading from the right side?  If only from the right side, you may simply have failed modules on the display.  They are socketed and easy to move around or replace.

Hi Vendo Mike,

I am 99 percent sure that the compressor stays on when I'm restocking with the door open.

All the selections are the same price and the machine just displays the price, rather than the 'ice cold drinks' scrolling message.

When coins are inserted the display will show the credit value. On opening the door to restock, the display goes off within a couple of seconds. Once the door is closed, the display says 'wait' for around 10 seconds before going back to displaying the price.

Sounds like it's reacting to the door switch.  If not, it would not go blank when you open the door and, you would not be able to reset any "sold out" conditions on your columns.   If it's a manual thermostat running the comp, it may not shut off based on the door position.

It is possible that the service switch on the board has failed.  It's not common but can happen.  Next time you're there and press the mode button, go ahead and press button 1 and see if it attempts to scroll numbers (Historical Data) and pay attention to whether anything ever displays on the left side of the screen.   That should tell you if you're in service mode but simply isn't being completely displayed.

I've had a play around tonight with some of the helpful suggestions. 

I've tried going into service mode with the door switch in different positions with no success. I've also tried pressing the service button, then selection 1, selection 2 and selections 1 and 2 together to see if the display would start to scroll or display anything. All with no luck. The display seems to work correctly in sales mode, with no missing sections etc.

I'm guessing that I have a failed service button on the board? Is it possible to repair or replace the button, or are we talking a new board?

I'm struggling to think of another option for a culprit on this. If you are handy with a meter you could test the button pretty easily for continuity.  With the button pressed, you should have continuity between all 4 legs on the switch.  When open, you should only have continuity between pairs on either side but not between all 4 legs.   If no meter, you could test that board on another machine.   Otherwise, you're almost shooting in the dark and hoping for the best.   There are companies that will repair test/repair the board for you or provide an exchange.

Hi Mike, I really appreciate your time and suggestions. We have a couple of Firefighters who have side work as electricians, so I will ask one of them to bring a multi-meter in so we can test the button.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your kind words Vendo Mike.

We tested the service switch tonight and it seems to be working as you described! When the switch is pressed we are getting continuity across the four legs. I'm not really sure where to go from here now.

Try a couple things here.  First, try disconnecting components.  Remove power from the machine by either disconnecting the cord from the outlet or by disconnecting the black barrel plug at the bottom of the cabinet near the compressor.  Then disconnect the validator and the coin mech.  If the coin mech is connected to the validator, you only need to disconnect the validator from the machine.  Now power it back on and see if anything changes.

My only other suggestion is to pull the switch, then push it back in and let go a few times, the try the service mode button.  Once it says Hd, you're in.

You can get replacement boards pretty cheap on eBay and a door switch is only maybe a few dollars.  May as well replace both if you can't make this happen.  The only other possibility I can think of is that you have another switch somewhere.  It wouldn't make sense, but worth looking for.  I've seen them in different places on dixie's, usually only one though.

Hi AngryChris, thanks for your reply.

When you talk about a validator, I assume that you are talking about a bill validator? I am over in the UK so the terminology can differ a little. We don't have a bill validator in the machine. We do have a MEI/MARS Cashflow 690 coin mechanism though. I will try your suggestion and see if disconnecting that will help.

I will also have a bit more of a play around with the door switch and a good hunt around in case there is another switch hiding somewhere.

In terms of replacement boards, they don't seem to come up very often over here at all. I see a lot of reconditioned ones for sale in America. Do you know if they are still compatible, bearing in mind our voltage is 240v?

Thanks again for your help.

13 hours ago, BenFire said:

Hi AngryChris, thanks for your reply.

When you talk about a validator, I assume that you are talking about a bill validator? I am over in the UK so the terminology can differ a little. We don't have a bill validator in the machine. We do have a MEI/MARS Cashflow 690 coin mechanism though. I will try your suggestion and see if disconnecting that will help.

I will also have a bit more of a play around with the door switch and a good hunt around in case there is another switch hiding somewhere.

In terms of replacement boards, they don't seem to come up very often over here at all. I see a lot of reconditioned ones for sale in America. Do you know if they are still compatible, bearing in mind our voltage is 240v?

Thanks again for your help.

I don't know.  I was assuming you were in the states.

The boards should be compatible with each other, as line voltage is stepped down to 24v before being supplied to the board. There may be some settings to change but otherwise it should work.

Thank you AngryChris and orsd.

Information and spare parts seem very hard to come by over here in the UK, compared to America. Hence the reason I am soaking up knowledge from this forum!

I have had a good play around with the door switch today, still can't get into service mode. I can't see any sign of another switch anywhere either.

Question: when I hold the door switch in (to simulate the door being closed up) should the machine go back into sales mode?

Our machine doesn't, it just stays off. Yet when I close the entire door over, even just gently, without tightening up the T handle it will go back into sales mode. I can't see any other microswitch or door switch anywhere?

How does I know when the door is closed, if its not by the door switch. Think I'm getting myself confused!

It sounds like you have a bad door switch.  The switch is a 3 position switch. At rest with the door open it is in its mid position which puts the machine in the service mode where you should see HD on your display before you press the service mode button on the logic board. If you pull the switch plunger out you will simulate the door being closed with the machine in the vend mode. You should see either a price on the display if the machine has everything priced the same, or .00 if you have 2 or more prices programmed. This vend mode should also display when the door is closed, if the switch makes proper contact with the inner door.  

Thanks for your input AZVendor and Southeast Treats. I am going to order up another door switch and try that.

When I pull the door switch all the way out or I manually hold it in, the machine is not going into sales mode. Hopefully the issue is with the door switch and that is what is preventing me getting into service mode.

Thanks orsd, I tried that tonight and even with the door switch bypassed with a bit of wire the machine still won't go into diagnostic mode or even sales mode.

Once everything is put back as it was and the door is closed over it goes back into sales mode no problem. 

I am thinking that I might have to try a new/reconditioned control board in it.