Do some CC readers NOT have Apple pay?

ABCVending

I have an account, large retirement home have a snack & bev in the staff lounge.  The people are nice, equipment is decent (AP Studio and DN 5591) and we usually pull $200 or so a month with 2 x month service.

Got a new "manager" and a request for cc readers - for this account, Payrange would be waaayyyy better than readers - bunch of millennial staff the home residents and public have no access to machines, just the staff, so I pitched Payrange.

Manager shot down Payrange because, and I quote:  "I am trying to get them off of their phones and am not going to have you install a system the requires a cell phone to use..."

WTF?

I pointed out that most of the new CC readers take Apple pay or Android equivalent and the crew would damn sure be using it - now they want cc readers with Apple pay disabled....is this even possible?

I have an account that does similar in sales. Office lady constantly looking for something to complain about. Just recently she asked about cc readers. I told her that payrange was the only option. Of course she wasn't happy with it,  but that account is not worth the extra fees and costs. 

Get the card readers and you should see a huge increase in sales. I doubt the guy will really complain about apple pay as long as there's a swipe option.

I don't think it's outrageous for people to expect credit card readers, it's almost 2018. Add the 10 cent two tier and service less often due to sales reports. Money in the bank and extra time to spend on more important accounts.

If you want to fight your locations over cc don't expect to actually land any accounts worthwhile. Any new account big or small will expect cc readers so you better get used to it! My two cents.

3 hours ago, vendcobros said:

Get the card readers and you should see a huge increase in sales. I doubt the guy will really complain about apple pay as long as there's a swipe option.

I don't think it's outrageous for people to expect credit card readers, it's almost 2018. Add the 10 cent two tier and service less often due to sales reports. Money in the bank and extra time to spend on more important accounts.

If you want to fight your locations over cc don't expect to actually land any accounts worthwhile. Any new account big or small will expect cc readers so you better get used to it! My two cents.

Yep - and there lies the problem, sounds like you would take this account at $50/week and give them readers - have seen this before (not you guys) - I balk and pull the machines because they find some other operator to give them what they want.  I have no problem supplying readers to "worthwhile" accounts, just not sure these guys qualify for me - last place I pulled machines because they got a better offer, the new operator lasted 6 months and pulled the equipment because sales didn't justify the investments- the account came back asking for machines - they got a vendo stacker and an old polymer snack.

Guy has already said NO Apple Pay, so if I give em readers, gotta disable that feature

Had a lousy account, by lousy I mean less than $20 out of the bottle machine every 2 weeks. Took a chance and put a cc reader on and it went to $100 every 2 weeks. Just added a reader to the snack machine and it is now up to almost the same. Some accounts that you wouldn’t believe are worth the expense actually end up being totally worth it. 

I would try a reader on the account and simply go into the device settings page if using USAT and change the message so that it no longer displays “swipe or tap to begin”. Give it sometime and if it’s still not worth it, pull the machines and put the reader somewhere else. 

I have accounts that beg for a food machine but cannot justify it at all.  A card reader might be worth trying here, but you just know it won't in some placed.  A location of mine recently mentioned how much i would make selling salads (LOL)!  I shut that down REAL quick.  A customer tried to convince me to put something in that i JUST removed because it supposedly sells.  I sold 2 in 2 weeks and pulled the rest.  Sorry, ranting.

Try the card reader but don't fret about apple pay.  If anyone tells me i need to invest in a card reader and then DISABLE one of the features to make money, i'll say no.  If they want people off their phones, then that's their policy.  Truthfully, i rarely get transactions from mobile wallets, but no one should try to bully me to BUY the reader and then disable the features that they don't like.  If you agree to disable it, next will be demanding new machines, food machine, lower prices, etc..  

It's YOUR equipment.  

13 hours ago, ABCVending said:

Yep - and there lies the problem, sounds like you would take this account at $50/week and give them readers - have seen this before (not you guys) - I balk and pull the machines because they find some other operator to give them what they want.  I have no problem supplying readers to "worthwhile" accounts, just not sure these guys qualify for me - last place I pulled machines because they got a better offer, the new operator lasted 6 months and pulled the equipment because sales didn't justify the investments- the account came back asking for machines - they got a vendo stacker and an old polymer snack.

Guy has already said NO Apple Pay, so if I give em readers, gotta disable that feature

My number one account does ~$35,000 a year. 70% of the transactions are credit card. Before the readers I was seeing around ~$9,000 a year. No increase in traffic, just grabbed a ton of younger buyers. Nobody complained to get me to place them but the one account's growth was enough to justify many more cc installs.

As stated by others they're your machines and you should of course do what you feel is right. However... I thought you'd find this interesting food for thought.

My opinion is to upgrade them and pull it if you're not seeing enough revenue to justify the upgrade. At the very least you have upgraded machines to place somewhere else. 

You really never know what you're walking away from when you pull machines because you don't like the locations demand for tech.

Apple Pay is actually faster than swiping a card. Phone, fingerprint, bam! Versus, wallet, card, swipe, back in wallet, We actually promote Apple Pay as some millennials don't even carry wallets any more but they have their phone.

Some accounts are just too demanding. Sorry, but I have to try and make a living here, can't do it if I let everybody else run my business... All current systems that I am aware of come with smartphone payment capability, take it or leave it, it's not an option.  Just like Henry Ford and the model T, any color you want as long as it's black.

Sound advice - I have seen up to 30% gross sales increases at some places that have card readers added, but not always - have my doubts about this account - probably give em the readers and see how it goes..

You guys mess around buying USA tech stuff on fleabay or just buy direct from them?  All my readers are usat and I bought them all direct - could save some sheckles buying used but seems sketchy 

3 hours ago, ABCVending said:

Sound advice - I have seen up to 30% gross sales increases at some places that have card readers added, but not always - have my doubts about this account - probably give em the readers and see how it goes..

You guys mess around buying USA tech stuff on fleabay or just buy direct from them?  All my readers are usat and I bought them all direct - could save some sheckles buying used but seems sketchy 

Nothing wrong with used, provided that they are not outdated units with obsolete modems.

16 hours ago, AngryChris said:

About half were bought direct and half were bought and installed from refurbishers.

What's the going rate for used kits? I recently retired 200 USAT Verizon G8s because they are too slow for our technology and are more expensive per month (to us) than the newest contract with Canteen. I could assemble complete kits with antenna, mounting plate & spacer, OTI swipe, Velcro, zip ties, and drilling template. 

39 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

What's the going rate for used kits? I recently retired 200 USAT Verizon G8s because they are too slow for our technology and are more expensive per month (to us) than the newest contract with Canteen. I could assemble complete kits with antenna, mounting plate & spacer, OTI swipe, Velcro, zip ties, and drilling template. 

I don't know.  The readers were new and installed on the refurbished machines.  They were not used.

Archived