Teachers lounges?

TKK

So i was thinking of making more revenue from some of the schools were in. We are implementing the ice cream program, but we are also thinking of putting 1 small snack machine in the teachers lounges in the high schools. Reason is they have 2 to 3k students so i know they have atleast 100 or so employees. I have a middle school that has 2 lounges we did a 3 wide in one of the two and it blows. $60 a month if you are lucky. I figured the high schools have to make atleast 3 times that so say $200. Thats not good but they get serviced daily and 10 schools times $200 is 2k a month extra. Usi has new 3 wides for 2500 and 4 wides for 2700. 

Anyone do ok in teachers lounges?

IF LA has 10% good locations I am jealous, the ones I have are rarely worth the effort.  Only an occasional good service visit, very unpredictable and mostly slow. Don't spend money buying machines for them, use something you already have.  Question for LA - do you put card readers on your teacher's lounge machines and does it make a difference if you do?

The 2 best ones do $100/week. The rest are anywhere from $30/week to $30/month.

The ones that can have a card reader do, though most don't use them. The telemetry data is critical to reduce stales.

Damn that bad hu lol. 400$ a mo th isnt bad beags having 10 snack machines collecting dust, those higher earners are why? Bigger schools? Bigger break rooms?

We recently got 4 teacher's lounges from a buyout. I wasn't excited about these at all but surprisingly they all do $60-80 a week. All are middle and elementary schools. The last 3 or 4 middle and elementary lounges we had about 6 years ago averaged about $15 a week

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - besides vending, I am a junior high teacher. Don’t do it.  Schools have so many fund raising events, free breakfast and lunch programs, potlucks and such, that you are wasting your asset.  Teachers and staff are used to free stuff.  

45 minutes ago, wegroup said:

FYI - besides vending, I am a junior high teacher. Don’t do it.  Schools have so many fund raising events, free breakfast and lunch programs, potlucks and such, that you are wasting your asset.  Teachers and staff are used to free stuff.  

That is pretty eye-opening and makes sense.  A lot of teachers complain about prices but maybe that's because the vending machines aren't subsidized.

I am a high school teacher and run the vending machines at our school.  We have a AP123c and Royal 660-9 in our faculty room.  Sales aren't great, but they are steady.  The soda machine does about 30 dollars a week and the snack does about 25 a week.  We have a commercial Keurig machine in the faculty room and sell K-cups in the snack machine.  They sell pretty good.  Our big sales come from the 3 drink machines that we have for student use.

In my previous post I forgot to mention the breaks we get; Thanksgiving week, 2 weeks for Christmas, Easter week, and then summer break (10 weeks) where nobody is really around. Now, before anybody goes hating on us teachers for these breaks, just know that these are breaks that we don’t get paid for. We are compensated only for the days that we teach. 

1 hour ago, darkinthepark said:

I am a high school teacher and run the vending machines at our school.

So do you personally profit from these machines because I was told that we can in no way profit off the students?  Even in a round about way.

7 minutes ago, wegroup said:

Now, before anybody goes hating on us teachers for these breaks

I like to say these breaks are an opportunity for me to somehow find the courage to go back...  people usually laugh but they actually have no idea just how true it is...

1 hour ago, Mehehe said:

So do you personally profit from these machines because I was told that we can in no way profit off the students?  Even in a round about way.

I like to say these breaks are an opportunity for me to somehow find the courage to go back...  people usually laugh but they actually have no idea just how true it is...

We use the profits from the machines for our Sunshine Fund, which is an account that purchases equipment for the school that the general budget does not cover.  It also covers staff outreach...such as special events and gifts for staff members that had a baby or lost a loved one.  I have a committee of 4 staff members that decide on how the money gets spent.  I am the president of the committee and service the drink machines.  Another member of the committee services the snack machines.  I also run the bank account.  No one on the committee gets paid for being on the committee, including myself.  We donate our time to make a better work environment for the staff.  The account has been around for many years and was always funded by vending....but in the past we got a commision from Pepsi who had their machines in the building.  Pepsi stopped giving us commissions, so I asked the principal if I could take over vending with our own machines and he agreed.  Over the period of 2 years, I purchased 4 used Royal stack machines and 2 AP snack machines.  I've trained myself to maintain and service the machines with the help of this forum and the Internet.  When I took over the account, we only had 700 in the bank and owned no assets and had no income.    Now we have over 7K in the bank and own the 5 machines.  We currently gross an average of $400 per week.  We also purchased equipment for our faculty room such as a new fridge, microwaves, decorations, paint and a hot dog roller for special events.  We even funded the installation of a glass tiled backsplash in the faculty room!  Our faculty room is probably the nicest in the state....I will have to post some pics.  We have all this thanks to vending!  

I was curious how it worked, we have a similar committee at our school.  The last principal declared that when faculty get together they do nothing but breed negativity so they were able to convince the district that the high school did not need any faculty lounges/room...  they turned into a storage room and a senior lunch room... not sure there was any faculty happy with that decision.

Your set up has me thinking about doing something similar at our school to support our committee.  Thanks for the info

3 hours ago, Mehehe said:

I was curious how it worked, we have a similar committee at our school.  The last principal declared that when faculty get together they do nothing but breed negativity so they were able to convince the district that the high school did not need any faculty lounges/room...  they turned into a storage room and a senior lunch room... not sure there was any faculty happy with that decision.

Your set up has me thinking about doing something similar at our school to support our committee.  Thanks for the info

I am very lucky that my principal supports my endeavors and likes the progress that we've made.  The facilities office has even helped by installing a/c outlets in locations that we thought were the best spots for the student machines.  Also, the facilities office let me use one of the district trailers and trucks to pick up the machines...and even let me take one of the maintenance men to help me move the machines.

As for the teacher vending machines, sales have been increasing now that the teachers know that they benefit from the sales in the machines.  The students don't know that the teachers benefit from the vending sales, but they wouldn't really care as long as they get their caffeine.  

Here's a picture of our faculty break room at the beginning of the year before we got together and painted and decorated it with money from vending sales.

Bfaculty01.jpg

Below are some pictures of the room after we decorated.  Also, all the appliances we purchased with vending money.  I wish I had a picture of the green 1970 refrigerator that we replaced!

faculty02.jpg

faculty03.jpg

faculty04.jpg

I learned a lot about vending repairs by fixing up these machines.  The GIII needed new trim, buttons, bill acceptor, ballast, lights, vend motor and home sensor.  The AP123 needed some new motors, and I installed all the parts to convert one of the snack trays to a candy tray so that we would have more room for the Kcups.  Once again, I thank the people from this forum for their help along the way...especially LACanteen who has helped with parts for my machines.  He even sent me the home sensor for the GIII as I waited for Royal to build more stock.  Then I sent him the part from Royal to replenish his inventory.  It really helped eliminate down time.  I also want to thank AZVendor for his wealth of knowledge.  He may be moody...but he does know his s*it....something that only comes with many years of experience.

It would probably take 5 average seasoned vendors here to be able to come close to the knowledge of diagnostic ability of people like LACanteen, AZVendor, and a few others who I cannot think of at the moment.  I have been in the industry for just over 10 years, and I have only done repairs for over 7 years, but I don't know jack about a lot of what they know.  If Randy would just set something up like paypal info for me, I'd send him a few bucks but he won't even acknowledge my offers!!  I hate feeling indebted to people.

Except for the refrigerator, that looks exactly like the teacher's lounge at Acadiana High school, right down to the Keurig B150. However, you should get wrote up for the 10 empty selections in the snack machine. ;D

I counted eleven!

Yes, lacanteen is a great person to deal with! I'm twenty-fives miles from him and he has helped me plenty! I throw him some tidbits of cajun food every once in a while! While I don't chase the vending part anymore, our tracks do cross every now and then!

6 hours ago, lacanteen said:

Except for the refrigerator, that looks exactly like the teacher's lounge at Acadiana High school, right down to the Keurig B150. However, you should get wrote up for the 10 empty selections in the snack machine. ;D

Yeah...I know.  Another person on my committee services the snacks and I do the drinks.  She sometimes falls behind :)

1 hour ago, darkinthepark said:

Yeah...I know.  Another person on my committee services the snacks and I do the drinks.  She sometimes falls behind :)

Does she fall behind or does she eat all the snacks

Archived